Tomorrowland: the land of walls - photo updates on all the TL projects

EPCOTPluto

I just hope that if they didn't add any new sets to the TTA, they at least added some poster art to the windows that are blacked out or where there are long stretches of blank wall.
The If You Had Wings/Delta Dreamflight windows?

Yes, it looks so depressing. :(

And I surely hope nobody removed Walt's EPCOT model. :zipit:
I sure hope WDI realizes the value of it & isn't scrapped. :dazzle:

Rob562

Don't those look into Buzz now?

Only some of them do. I believe the "beauty shop" window was never a physical scene in the original Peoplemover, and instead was a window that looked into another scene on Dreamflight/Take Flight. (There's also a blacked out/covered over window before the hairdresser window) But when it became Buzz, other scenery had been added into that room and became uninteresting to look at from the TTA, so they blacked it out.

And there are additional windows farther down the tunnel on the left-hand side that have been blacked-out since "If You Had Wings" closed. When the ride became Dreamflight, those were blacked out because they looked into the "spinning jet engine" effect room, rather than a full scene like it was in IYHW.

That's also why your train stays at a slow speed in that entire tunnel, because there was more to look at. It doesn't speed up until you get to that last window on the left.

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

Only some of them do. I believe the "beauty shop" window was never a physical scene in the original Peoplemover, and instead was a window that looked into another scene on Dreamflight/Take Flight. (There's also a blacked out/covered over window before the hairdresser window) But when it became Buzz, other scenery had been added into that room and became uninteresting to look at from the TTA, so they blacked it out.

And there are additional windows farther down the tunnel on the left-hand side that have been blacked-out since "If You Had Wings" closed. When the ride became Dreamflight, those were blacked out because they looked into the "spinning jet engine" effect room, rather than a full scene like it was in IYHW.

That's also why your train stays at a slow speed in that entire tunnel, because there was more to look at. It doesn't speed up until you get to that last window on the left.

-Rob

Very interesting! Never knew that...Wish I could see it this trip.:(

EPCOTPluto

-Rob
Well, it explains a lot. I know there was a Eiffel Tower window once there as well....

And as a kid, I thought it was security watching. :eek:

Very interesting! Never knew that...Wish I could see it this trip.
You should see it. It isn't hard to miss, in daylight (the sun floods part of the tunnel) or nighttime (I believe the lights are on in there...)

the-reason14

Shouldn't they just come up with a new unified plan for TL, wall off the entire land completely, and then work on it night and day until its done.... similar to how the land was first built?

Hmph, might as well! With SM and the TTA down, tomorrowland has pretty much nothing to do. My dad said it was a ghost town over there when he went last month, and Im not suprised.

And as far as the refurb of SM is concern. I hope they fix it up really nice with some of the effects that the DL one has. And if its not going to be on the scale of Pirates and HM then they should have just kept it open. If its going to be closed for any amount of time they need to go all out and make it the best SM they can. Its already better than the one at DL, layout wise, so if they can get the effects, itd be all around better. Is it still suppose to open in November?

hpyhnt 1000

I think by "prefurb" was the JC closure a year or two ago where they closed it to do some infrastructure work on things that HAD to get done, and they were rumored to have done some prep work for the JC's eventual longer, full refurb.

As for the LED lighting on the TTA, wouldn't it be cool if the lights at night were normally one color, and then as a train passed they changed to a different color to highlight the passing train? The effect would be such that from a rider's viewpoint, all the lights they passed under were a single color, but to viewers on the ground the track glows with one color, and then with brighter-lit trains gliding along. Maybe even a different color for each train? Might add to the visual kinetics of TL.

-Rob

Oh, that would be just too cool. But thats probably too complicated for Disney... :(

SirGoofy

And as far as the refurb of SM is concern. I hope they fix it up really nice with some of the effects that the DL one has. And if its not going to be on the scale of Pirates and HM then they should have just kept it open. If its going to be closed for any amount of time they need to go all out and make it the best SM they can. Its already better than the one at DL, layout wise, so if they can get the effects, itd be all around better. Is it still suppose to open in November?

Yea, it'll open in November. And I have the sinking feeling we'll all be fairly disappointed with the outcome.:(

Exprcoofto

Yea, it'll open in November. And I have the sinking feeling we'll all be fairly disappointed with the outcome.:(

...or we could be fairly surprised. (doubt it, but if we set our expectations low who knows)

I have a trip scheduled for that time SM opens. I just can't wait to ride it again whether it's good or bad. Can't be any worse.

SirGoofy

...or we could be fairly surprised. (doubt it, but if we set our expectations low who knows)

Believe me, I hope and pray that is the case. It's just everything I've heard internally and externally about the project leads me to believe Space will basically be the same after it opens, and after some great refurbs like HM and HoP, keeping something the same is incredibly disappointing, IMO.

hpyhnt 1000

I have a trip scheduled for that time SM opens. I just can't wait to ride it again whether it's good or bad. Can't be any worse.

True, and I guess thats a bit of a silver lining. :eek:

RSoxNo1

What I fear is that we walk in to the newly refurbished Space Mountain and ask, "Um... what did they do?"

I speculate it will be similar to the Small World refurbishment where there will be some changes made to the load area and the queue, some sprucing up of the ride, but probably no significant changes.

Since we can assume no on-board audio it leaves various areas for improvement

Queue/Load Area - I expect some changes to the Queue (can anyone confirm that the old Skyway Building will be part of the Space Mountain queue?) as well as air gates at the load area.

Blue Tunnel - I expect the Blue Tunnel to remain more or less the same.

Lift Hill - I'm guessing that this will be where the most noticeable changes will be made. Sprucing this area up a bit, changing the flashing signs into something a little more futurstic looking, etc.

Main Ride - The assumption is that it will be darker, and hopefully the star field is better than the current version (And hopefully better than Disneyland's version). In Disneyland it seems like it's several rotating projections like a planetarium, but I would think that a few smaller projectors and screens placed along the track with galaxies, planets, asteroids, etc would be a somewhat inexpensive effect. On board audio would help tremendously here, but I'm not holding my breath.

Re-Entry tunnel - Like the Lift Hill, I expect this to change as well. Even if it's the reflector style like in Disneyland, that would be an improvement.

Post Show/Exit - I'm not expecting much for changes. Maybe an upgrade to the TVs at the end. I'm hoping the novelty of seeing yourself on camera with the special effects stays. My brother absolutely loves that.

WDW Vacationer

I look at refurbs as a good thing and I'm not too sure how they can be looked at any other way. Everything will be in good shape for my November Trip including SM,which is SUPPOSED to open the day we arrive! We are crossing our fingers on that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom