News Tomorrowland love

*Q*

This actually isn't turning out as badly as I expected it. It fits with the classic TL look they're going for (or were going for before the budget got nuked):

tomorrowland-pavement-replacement-june-2021-07.jpg

The big grey stripe represents all the future poop running down the middle of the street.

DoleWhipDrea

Did someone mention on here the old stitch theatres were going to be used as gallery type thing for the 50th?
When the rumor was shared WDI was trying to choose between MILF and SGE. Since The former had its signage refreshed recently, if the exhibit is going forward, it would be there.

I also remember hearing that on top of this Merchant of Venus wouldn't be reopening and that there were permits filed to do some work in there, which could potentially support this.

When Disneyland had it's 50th anniversary, one of the best things they did was turn the Main Street Opera House into a Disneyland nostalgia gallery leading into a short film starring Steve Martin and Donald Duck, talking about the park's history (while giving Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln an update behind the screen for when he'd return.) I'd love to see SGE get the same treatment here somehow. Showcase models of Cinderella Castle and a few major attractions, original artwork from WED, anything that could wow. Perhaps there's another famous former CM from WDW that could host a film for this one? Thankfully Disney literally already has a theater right there, though being in the round might pose a challenge. Then Merchant of Venus could then turn into a shop housing retro WDW merchandise specifically designed for the 50th.

So...that's what I'm hoping for ^_^

Bocabear

When the rumor was shared WDI was trying to choose between MILF and SGE. Since The former had its signage refreshed recently, if the exhibit is going forward, it would be there.

I also remember hearing that on top of this Merchant of Venus wouldn't be reopening and that there were permits filed to do some work in there, which could potentially support this.

When Disneyland had it's 50th anniversary, one of the best things they did was turn the Main Street Opera House into a Disneyland nostalgia gallery leading into a short film starring Steve Martin and Donald Duck, talking about the park's history (while giving Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln an update behind the screen for when he'd return.) I'd love to see SGE get the same treatment here somehow. Showcase models of Cinderella Castle and a few major attractions, original artwork from WED, anything that could wow. Perhaps there's another famous former CM from WDW that could host a film for this one? Thankfully Disney literally already has a theater right there, though being in the round might pose a challenge. Then Merchant of Venus could then turn into a shop housing retro WDW merchandise specifically designed for the 50th.

So...that's what I'm hoping for ^_^
They could also use the Opera House on Main Street... Like it originally was with the Walt Disney Story... It could be the Walt Disney World Story... I don't believe it is being used for Meet and Greets....

James Alucobond

I don't terribly mind them being slow and measured when it's just a visual facelift in order to avoid mass disturbance, but they really need to prioritize the removal of the remaining raygun gothic infrastructure, the completion of the lower supports, and landscaping.

Oh, and replace Stitch's Great Escape, for God's sake.

Bocabear

Tomorrowland is a disaster...a mish mash incoherent mess. None of the paintwork they have done really makes sense or adds anything...Like what they did with Communicore and it's hideous paint scheme.
I know they have the talent to create a coherent vision for what should honestly be the most outlandish and fantastic section of the park.
Fiber optics in the pavement? Absolutely. Giant gull wing fountains? YES!!! Weird other-worldly landscaping that is completely over the top? Yes Please. So much could and should be done...but now they are out of time to meet the 50th celebration...

RobbinsDad

Tomorrowland is a disaster...a mish mash incoherent mess. None of the paintwork they have done really makes sense or adds anything...Like what they did with Communicore and it's hideous paint scheme.
I know they have the talent to create a coherent vision for what should honestly be the most outlandish and fantastic section of the park.
Fiber optics in the pavement? Absolutely. Giant gull wing fountains? YES!!! Weird other-worldly landscaping that is completely over the top? Yes Please. So much could and should be done...but now they are out of time to meet the 50th celebration...
I believe the Iger/Chapek regime simply doesn't like Tomorrowland. It's too Walt-y. I bet if they could turn it into something more IP, like Pixar Pier, without too much backlash or expense they would.

Bocabear

There was something so beautiful about the original Tomorrowland in gleaming white...the planters were full. Everything looked so clean and modern... I would not really call it Brutalism at all...More inspired by Moderne but fresher.
It would not be impossible to re-landscape the existing planters, add a few more feature planters and a fantastic water feature (there currently is no water feature in that area) to make it feel a bit more green without taking away from the clean modernism of the design...

GimpYancIent

There was something so beautiful about the original Tomorrowland in gleaming white...the planters were full. Everything looked so clean and modern... I would not really call it Brutalism at all...More inspired by Moderne but fresher.
It would not be impossible to re-landscape the existing planters, add a few more feature planters and a fantastic water feature (there currently is no water feature in that area) to make it feel a bit more green without taking away from the clean modernism of the design...
All a matter of view point. At one point things were starting to look steam punk now its drifting toward clean modernistic bland. I agree a water feature would improve the view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom