News Tomorrowland love

DoleWhipDrea

the art on this one makes me laugh, if you see this angle youd think the subs were coming back....

If only. It's partially the Disneylander in me, but I feel like MK's TL (along with several other castle parks) have had a gaping hole due to not having the subs. We know more about outer space than we do our own oceans, so oceanic exploration is still part of the world of tomorrow, and once you add in the fantastical elements such as sea serpents and mermaids, you have the perfect transition between TL and FL.

Disney needs to get moving on that 20k remake/prequel/whatever direction they're taking.

ppete1975

If only. It's partially the Disneylander in me, but I feel like MK's TL (along with several other castle parks) have had a gaping hole due to not having the subs. We know more about outer space than we do our own oceans, so oceanic exploration is still part of the world of tomorrow, and once you add in the fantastical elements such as sea serpents and mermaids, you have the perfect transition between TL and FL.

Disney needs to get moving on that 20k remake/prequel/whatever direction they're taking.
totally agree, honestly id been ok keeping the originals and just had them autonomous and not taking guests.. just the lagoon and the subs driving around. Yes in theory thats wasted space but they can always expand the berm. Im now in favor of an indoor omnimover where you "go under the sea" under something that feels like a sub. That way you could have high capacity and basically the same effect while able to hit all the ADA guidelines (and no leaks). With todays practical effects and gulp screens you could make a really immersive believable attraction.

Rich Brownn

totally agree, honestly id been ok keeping the originals and just had them autonomous and not taking guests.. just the lagoon and the subs driving around. Yes in theory thats wasted space but they can always expand the berm. Im now in favor of an indoor omnimover where you "go under the sea" under something that feels like a sub. That way you could have high capacity and basically the same effect while able to hit all the ADA guidelines (and no leaks). With todays practical effects and gulp screens you could make a really immersive believable attraction.
Sounds like TDL's 20k

trainplane3

Or if you wanted to actually be "underwater", Lego did something pretty nice. And it's constantly moving so it should have good capacity too.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Or if you wanted to actually be "underwater", Lego did something pretty nice. And it's constantly moving so it should have good capacity too.

i thought the same i just wasnt sure how quickly the loading and how high the capacity could be made. I guess im just cautious after rise.

ppete1975

You mean you don't want a 15 ft above ground submarine ride in open air and no undersea looking elements?

actually... i saw that same video and thought what a cool idea, if done correctly. We keep talking about how tomorrowland and other areas dont have enough room. How about the build a second floor to some of tomorrowland and connect them with tubes so you would be above ground like the horrible sea world attraction.. but immersed in true disney magic, i could see some space age ride working great with it, and not need another footprint. If you look at densely populated areas when you cant build out you build up. Now this would never work in most of disney as most buildings are spaced well apart and it would look horrible. But tomorrowland it could be done.

I kind of think Disney had the same idea when they destroyed their people mover and added rocket rods. Now people mover needs to be left alone but i think this could be done and done well.

Example you would enter in stitch have a pre show then get in your ride vehicle which takes you up a floor, you could go into a show building the zip across to another building (maybe even be able to see outside)

ppete1975

Coincidentally, I just watched the above video for the first time a couple of days ago.
What where they thinking?
budget cuts budget cuts and changing people in charge. But with the huge media push for years you would think more people would have stepped up and said, this ride is junk we have to make it better. It should have been entirely enclosed or mostly enclosed. The open track with lazy side props was a huge mistake, and the fact the audio couldnt even be kept in line shows you the builders were over their heads.

Heppenheimer

You mean you don't want a 15 ft above ground submarine ride in open air and no undersea looking elements?

For anyone who grew up in the Philadelphia area, this vaguely reminds me of the monorail ride that circled above the toy section of Wanamaker's. Which was awesome for a free ride at a department store. But probably much less so for a theme park with steep admission charges.

And the ride vehicles don't even remotely resemble submarines!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
actually... i saw that same video and thought what a cool idea, if done correctly. We keep talking about how tomorrowland and other areas dont have enough room. How about the build a second floor to some of tomorrowland and connect them with tubes so you would be above ground like the horrible sea world attraction.. but immersed in true disney magic, i could see some space age ride working great with it, and not need another footprint. If you look at densely populated areas when you cant build out you build up. Now this would never work in most of disney as most buildings are spaced well apart and it would look horrible. But tomorrowland it could be done.

I kind of think Disney had the same idea when they destroyed their people mover and added rocket rods. Now people mover needs to be left alone but i think this could be done and done well.

Example you would enter in stitch have a pre show then get in your ride vehicle which takes you up a floor, you could go into a show building the zip across to another building (maybe even be able to see outside)

Yeah, a second level moving attraction that can take you through attractions and show scenes, and fit a lot of people on it, it could go all over Tomorrowland...hmm 🤔

tomast

Hi everyone, reading this post I reallize that in the retheming Disney will probably remove the Coke stand that you can see in tomorowland, if anyone goes please take some pictures for me. I am a big Coca-Cola and Disney fan, and Tomorowland was, is and probably will be one of the themes I like more in WDW. So please if anybody goes or has pictures of the coke stand please upload them here or send them to me. Thanks!

BTW I mean the cool ship and the cool scanner. I love the details and the crates behind it. Also love the coke logo in "tomorowland" langugage. Wish they sold a bottle with that logo!

James Alucobond

Hi everyone, reading this post I reallize that in the retheming Disney will probably remove the Coke stand that you can see in tomorowland, if anyone goes please take some pictures for me. I am a big Coca-Cola and Disney fan, and Tomorowland was, is and probably will be one of the themes I like more in WDW. So please if anybody goes or has pictures of the coke stand please upload them here or send them to me. Thanks!

BTW I mean the cool ship and the cool scanner. I love the details and the crates behind it. Also love the coke logo in "tomorowland" langugage. Wish they sold a bottle with that logo!
They actually just refreshed the paint on this, so I'd imagine they plan to leave it in place at least through the 50th anniversary.

Missing20K

Not comparing their merits, only that the one seems like it may have been inspired by the other. I've been to the Liege train station many times and it is a stunning and surprisingly practical building. If only they were able to rebuild the surrounding area in a similar style, people might discuss Liege the same way they talk about Bilbao.
Fair points regarding the surrounding area Liege:Bilbao

Personally, I don't see the inspiration, and perhaps that's what made me reply. If they were perhaps inspired by the Liege station, I'd guess they had been partaking in some heady substances. As others have noted, the canopy style utilized by Tron is not novel. Disney currently seems more inclined to appropriate architectural styles and forms, whereas they used to define them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom