News Tomorrowland love

gmajew

Premium Member
Certain things give me hope then they do somethings I just shake my head... The signage is a huge improvement the paint has areas where it looks good.... but to much just does not work. Which causes it to fail overall...

tirian

The Gear Works/Sci Fi Aesthetic worked when it was all freshly done and everything was working...It was a real attempt to do something a little different and it was gorgeous at night... It has since been watered down with odd ideas like the Blue Metallic rocks that never made a lick of sense, Monsters Inc Laff Floor which makes equally no sense in the current setting etc.
Currently I can say I have never seen it look worse...A completely random mishmash of things, half completed paint jobs, and no real focal point like the Spires and Waterfalls... Tomorrowland needs a bold design vision... Tron is going to make it feel more random than ever unless there is a real substantial plan to redress Tomorrowland and bring the design aesthetics together...
Epcot’s (canceled) FW redo had no focal point, SWGE and TSL meander, and even Shanghai set its castle on a completely flat paved surface as if you’re walking into a large museum. Place-making, weenies, color schemes, scale, the architecture of reassurance—basically everything preached in Disney’s own Imagineering books is ignored.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Epcot’s (canceled) FW redo had no focal point, SWGE and TSL meander, and even Shanghai set its castle on a completely flat paved surface as if you’re walking into a large museum. Place-making, weenies, color schemes, scale, the architecture of reassurance—basically everything preached in Disney’s own Imagineering books is ignored.

Well, WDI does/did have the best Imagineer around giving them advice - Bob Iger. :rolleyes:

Walt d

I love Tomorrowland. Glad to hear things are looking up.
So the photo of the, i call them the space palm trees. Please”please” please” lets not get rid of them. Next to the Castle! These are my favorite things They must remain please’ joe if they must go contact me I will give them a nice home. There just to cool.

RFM57

But do ALL the lands in all the parks have a focal point or weenie? What, for example, is or was it in Adventureland or Frontierland? What was it in Tomorrowland that is not there any more?

All that being said, I do hope the work continues to bring in some more vibrancy and character.

note2001

Here is a detailed look at the current position on the Tomorrowland refurb.

This has to be one of the most boring updates I've read in a very long time. Channeling the tim tracker now, are we? Next up: the garbage pails have been moved.

I joke of course, I do appreciate news, but it seems Disney is going so s-l-o-w these days.

Chicken Guy

But do ALL the lands in all the parks have a focal point or weenie? What, for example, is or was it in Adventureland or Frontierland? What was it in Tomorrowland that is not there any more?

All that being said, I do hope the work continues to bring in some more vibrancy and character.

The central plaza in Adventureland where the Magic Carpets of Aladdin currently resides is, or was, the land's focal point. When constructed, it was a wide, open space that branched off to the future Caribbean Plaza, the Jungle Cruise attraction, or Frontierland, and it's feature view was the facade of the Tropical Serenade.
Frontierland's focal point is the Rivers of America, which the land clings to as its main spine and form-setter. Tomorrowland's focal point is Star Jets/Astro Orbiter, which is front and center when approaching the land from its main entrance. It is the tallest structure in the land excluding Space Mountain, which is more of a backdrop to the area than a focal point assuming we are trying to pin down one main focus per land.
I agree with @tirian that TSL meanders, and I personally see the land as uninspired and poorly laid out. I would also choose a place like Dino-Land USA as an example of a WDW land without a particular central focal point, as long as you don't count the big, yellow/green dinosaur in front of Dino-Rama as one.

owlsandcoffee

My big dumb armchair-ineering for TL is an old railroad town that became a hub for new transportation (commercial space travel, electric cars, lightcycles, the PeopleMover). The aesthetic would be a street of old brick buildings with the current stuff like the pylons built onto the front. I figure it would provide a good transition from Storybook Circus's 20th-century brick buildings as well. Even fits in Florida, considering Cape Canaveral and all.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You can only do so much with shrubbery.
Ni.gif

rct247

I'm disappointed in the update Tomorrowland has gotten. It was meant to be a throwback to the original Tomorrowland of 1971, but instead, it's a mess.

If they wanted to incorporate Tron into the theme of the land, they could have easily been inspired by the digital world. Gears and mechanics of the 1930s/1940s retro-future could have made way for a computer/internet cityscape that could easily still thrive off of retro-futurism while still remaining relevant today.
  • Shiny black rocks with gridlines on them (rather than metallic blue rocks)
  • LED light tubes (rather than neon)
  • Circut design flourishes (rather geometric patterns)
  • moving graphics on electronic billboards add digitized kinetic energy
  • play on word names like Terra-Bites (plant-based foods), The Space Bar (a nod to the past), CyberSpace Mountain
  • use of familiar names and IPs like Buy-N-Large, XS-Tech, & Game Central Station
  • Synthwave BGM music

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom