News Tomorrowland love

kevlightyear

The other reason is that Disney Parks are in some ways being run as an advertising arm of their movie and tv divisions these days. Ad guys are interested in the short term. Replacing Space Mountain's track, while long overdue, doesn't promote any franchise. Even if they could shoe horn it in (please don't bring Hyperspace Mountain to WDW....), it would be a done as a temporary overlay, not worthy of long term investment. They will wait until they're weeks away from it crumbling down before they'll replace it.

Of course I hope I'm wrong about all of that and we see an upgrade for the 50th.

Flynnwriter

Let’s get one thing clear: Tomorrowland at Disney World has never been amazing. The reimagined land, adding a comic book, Sci-fi layer to the 70s Brazilia austere esthetic was at least a fun, energetic vision with a cinematic zest. It also looked enticing at night and hid the shortcomings of the land layout and content.

What Tomorrowland needs is a major reimagining of the rides and tone. Is the future silly, sleek or sexy? Or is it just another IP background? Right now it’s nothing. It’s an expansive area of hard scaping, awkward plazas, a random stage, a shockingly aged coaster, a worn dark ride, a failed scary experience and a car ride that is both loud and ugly. (Thank god they still have a fantastic People mover)

Comparing any of this to Shanghai is absurd. Shanghai’s Tomorrowland is a unified land that carries its aesthetic throughout every walkway, planter and fountain. The rides all unite the land and support the design.

Painting something white here, simplifying a sign, a wall of coral paint... they will simply end up with more of the same at WDW - a tomorrowland that is disjointed and looks like the house on the block the owners tried to remodel themselves on a limited budget that never really came together.

Disney should fix the rides, deliver great landscaping, add some shade and tear out the Speedway for something amazing that isn’t from the past.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Comparing any of this to Shanghai is absurd. Shanghai’s Tomorrowland is a unified land that carries its aesthetic throughout every walkway, planter and fountain. The rides all unite the land and support the design.
Shanghai’s Tomorrowland is an spatial mess that is completely disorganized with TRON’s box and a drainage basin being major visual elements. It’s only unified by being shiny.

Lilofan

Why the heck would they do that?! Disney is all about being timeless and imaginative and long term fiscal success because of it.
TWDC answers to its Board of Directors and company stockholders. The two groups want success and profitability now. Then Wall Street is happy.

Bocabear

Yes. It’s a mess.
I agree...I think it is shiny and pretty but has about all the charm of a corporate plaza shopping center. It is very beautiful...make no mistake, but completely lacking whimsy and joy... It feels kind of like an abandoned modern city center in the United Arab Emirates...All new, but lacking story... There had to be two separate teams doing this area and the Pirates area....which is amazing.
Our WDW Tomorrowland has great bones, and as long as they don't turn it into a vacant corporate plaza or dystopian battle torn outpost, it can be beautiful again...

WDWFREAK53

I agree...I think it is shiny and pretty but has about all the charm of a corporate plaza shopping center. It is very beautiful...make no mistake, but completely lacking whimsy and joy... It feels kind of like an abandoned modern city center in the United Arab Emirates...All new, but lacking story... There had to be two separate teams doing this area and the Pirates area....which is amazing.
Our WDW Tomorrowland has great bones, and as long as they don't turn it into a vacant corporate plaza or dystopian battle torn outpost, it can be beautiful again...

Exactly...I don't want a battle-torn outpost either...how can you have an attraction talking about a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" and exit into the exact opposite?

kevlightyear

Right now it’s nothing. It’s an expansive area of hard scaping, awkward plazas, a random stage, a shockingly aged coaster, a worn dark ride, a failed scary experience and a car ride that is both loud and ugly. (Thank god they still have a fantastic People mover)
I hadn't thought much about the stage, but it really is awful. Terribly located, ugly to look at, and poorly used.

The Great Gonzo

I hope Space Mountain gets rebuilt soon, it's much needed. If not then I hope they atleast turn the music up inside the ride since you can't even hear it anymore and I kinda like it :oops:

That would be awesome, that's one of the things I'm envious/jealous of Disneyland about. It would be great for the Halloween and Star Wars themed nights as well.

gustaftp

Disney should fix the rides, deliver great landscaping, add some shade and tear out the Speedway for something amazing that isn’t from the past.
I agree with most of this - but I don't think the Speedway should be torn out, just modernized with electric cars and new landscaping.

For some reason, adults for whom driving is a frustrating and annoying daily task, seem to forget that children very much want to be able to drive cars. This is the best place for them to be able to do just that.

ELG13

So happy to hear. When my husband and I get a night without the kids we always end our night in TL. When it's quiet and empty and you can hear the background music and really appreciate the land, it gives me the warm and fuzzies just thinking about 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom