News Tomorrowland love

Donaldfan1934

Is this for real? Paint Tomorrowland white? That’s insane. Is it from the talented team who brought us Guardians of the Galaxy tower at DCA?
Yeah, I can only imagine where the Imagineers could’ve come up with the inspiration needed forsuch a ludicrous idea.
B0EADA93-A269-4487-A059-CD5A79416075.jpeg

2E239883-CE05-43EB-A8DF-23DB5A0CEA3F.jpeg
12B1B748-6B36-402B-A642-DCD4D9E9AB4A.jpeg

Shanghai is beautiful. But the architecture and plan is nothing like WDW Tomorrowland. Having just been there, it’s the play of sweeping ramps and multiple levels that delivers big time. Maybe they could focus on improving the rides in this land that are in desperate need of an update.
You’re right. There are major differences between the two lands from a design perspective, but that doesn’t mean certain architectural elements from SDL’s Tomorrowland can’t be combined with architectural elements from WDW’s original Tomorrowland to create an appealing blended aesthetic. While I agree that resources should be put towards attraction updates as well, the fact of the matter is that a large chunk of the SDL aesthetic is coming with the addition of Tron in 2021, so why shouldn’t the extra effort be put in to make the area around it look up to snuff?

Last edited:

jt04

Yeah, I can only imagine where the Imagineers could’ve come up with the inspiration needed forsuch a ludicrous idea.
View attachment 413727
View attachment 413724View attachment 413725

You’re right. There are major differences between the two lands from a design perspective, but that doesn’t mean certain architectural elements from SDL’s Tomorrowland can’t be combined with architectural elements from WDW’ original Tomorrowland to create an appealing blended aesthetic. While I agree that resources should be put towards attraction updates as well, the fact of the matter is that a large chunk of the SDL aesthetic is coming with the addition of Tron in 2021, so why shouldn’t the extra effort be put in to make the area around it look up to snuff?

I just hope TDO takes what looks to be an easy step and hang themed elements to the visible portion of the Tron show building. Surprised Shanghai didn't.

gmajew

Premium Member
I like the pop of color in the land they are doing. I personally don’t like the all white Tomorrowland.

And I have seen both... what they are removing is great so far to clean it up and I hope it continues but I don’t want the past either.

Bocabear

I do as well. Although ironically that picture makes me hate the yellow spire less as I can see it's relation to the SM spire.
If it was painted white it would relate to the Space Mountain spires a lot more...
I like the white...but if they are going to do it, I hope they do it right and really streamline the look, not just occasional things white...

Flynnwriter

View attachment 413727
View attachment 413724View attachment 413725

You’re right. There are major differences between the two lands from a design perspective, but that doesn’t mean certain architectural elements from SDL’s Tomorrowland can’t be combined with architectural elements from WDW’ original Tomorrowland to create an appealing blended aesthetic. While I agree that resources should be put towards attraction updates as well, the fact of the matter is that a large chunk of the SDL aesthetic is coming with the addition of Tron in 2021, so why shouldn’t the extra effort be put in to make the area around it look up to snuff?
Agree, but simply painting non-congruent architectural elements with white paint is pathetic and looks lame.

Donaldfan1934

I just hope TDO takes what looks to be an easy step and hang themed elements to the visible portion of the Tron show building. Surprised Shanghai didn't.
Based on the two pieces of concept art released so far, it doesn‘t look like much will change from the Shanghai version in that regard. That being said, the darkened piece of concept art released at last month’s D23 Expo shows a gridlike pattern painted on the showbuilding, so that might make a difference.
14A3DBA1-B640-4FA4-807D-88AEB4C0056E.jpeg

Donaldfan1934

Agree, but simply painting non-congruent architectural elements with white paint is pathetic and looks lame.
I do concur. Just keep in mind that we’re still early on in the process of this makeover. It’s not completely outside of the realm of possibility that the painted over non-congruent architectural elements will be removed at some point later on in the process.

Donaldfan1934

If it was painted white it would relate to the Space Mountain spires a lot more...
As a temporary quick fix while the land around it changes? Sure. Permanently? I hope not. It was good for 1994, but there’s no way it won’t stick out like a sore thumb as that aesthetic continues fade out of the land.

WDWTank

kind of a "populist" leadership on WD. Looking for cheap, fast solutions for today consumers at the cost of the long term feeling of the park.
Why the heck would they do that?! Disney is all about being timeless and imaginative and long term fiscal success because of it.

Surfin' Tuna

Disney is all about being timeless and imaginative and long term fiscal success because of it.
Imagine that...

But what if the people who were worried about the short-term weren't necessarily planning to be there all that much longer? Then wouldn't they worry only about today and the bonuses associated therewith?

Just being devil's advocate, of course, we know that's not the case...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom