News Tomorrowland love

Animaniac93-98

Small question, but with all the work on Tomorrowland facade, will the Astro Orbiter be updated? Seems like it would stick out against the sleeker redesign they're going for.

Agreed. To me it makes no sense to get rid of the majority of the 1994 look, but keep the AE tower and Orbiter. Especially if the planets are never going to spin again. They should just go back to the Star Jets look, or something similar.

T.Will

Agreed. To me it makes no sense to get rid of the majority of the 1994 look, but keep the AE tower and Orbiter. Especially if the planets are never going to spin again. They should just go back to the Star Jets look, or something similar.
Star Jets might be a little too antiquated for today, but maybe a new tower with a mix of Tron and Classic Tomorrowland could work.

briangaw

More and more, I'm convinced that there are very few people left in WDI who understand the power of good architecture and how it can add meaning to a space. Instead of buildings that exude their theme from their very core, there has been a rise of relatively nondescript spaces that are "themed" only by superficial decoration. TL94's reliance on visual clutter and text-heavy signage was certainly a step down that road, but WDI's apparent design philosophy has continued to evolve since then.....

In a rather extreme example, Toy Story Land consists almost entirely of rectangular buildings with flat walls, which are themed only by the graphics applied to them. Put up a fresh coat of paint, and any hypothetical meaning from the structures no longer exists.
Toy-Story-Land-Slinky-Dog-Dash-8-700x525.jpg
]

I almost completely agree with your sentiments, however I would argue that Toy Story Land is not a counter example of terrible architecture. Rather it is a good use of architecture and place making. I mean the buildings are rectangular and flat and boxy, well because they are all supposed to be boxes (minus ). And boxes are not interesting and are really defined by what is on them. Also the use of landscape design to define the place is also amazingly well done. Perhaps too well done and they stuck to form rather than function with the landscape design to the detriment of shading.

Marc Davis Fan

They got their info from me.

To reiterate what I’ve seen saying for two years;

The plan is a de clutter and mild cosmetic change. You’ve seen the rocks. The paintwork on the walls and CoP. The CoP sign.

Expect a blue / white / purple overall theme. The theatre dome structure should be removed. The AE tower should stay as should the Stitch FP tent. The steampunk-style fins on the Peoplemover should all go. There will be more spires, but not the scale of the original entrance pylons. Signage should be uniform, and a new sign should stand on the archway on the moat bridge.

An overall more smooth, retro future look. Cyan is the new yellow.

This is wonderful news, and the direction sounds fantastic. I am particularly happy with the removal of the clashing signage (MILF and SGE), and I am really, really, really looking forward to the removal of the stage.

Now, if only someone could get things moving forward on even the most basic decluttering of Future World Central, then the Disney-future would be looking really bright...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom