News Tomorrowland love

trainplane3

TRON is also a very easy IP to understand, even if you've never seen either of the two movies....the plot "you get sucked into a computer and have to play games to survive".

An easy to understand plot and the great aesthetic of the neon glow helps a lot with popularity.
The aesthetic is primary the reason why I like it. Just such a great looking movie even if the plot is kinda meh.
You can't get any easier then:
Blue guys = Good
Red guys = Bad

Though in Legacy it was more like:
Blue shade guys = Good
Red shade guys = Bad
White light guys = neutral (but could have their own motivation)

JoeCamel

The aesthetic is primary the reason why I like it. Just such a great looking movie even if the plot is kinda meh.
You can't get any easier then:
Blue guys = Good
Red guys = Bad

Though in Legacy it was more like:
Blue shade guys = Good
Red shade guys = Bad
White light guys = neutral (but could have their own motivation)
Thanks, you removed my last nagging thought that maybe I should see this movie. I can move on

J4546

tron is one of my fave movies as a kid and still today. Love it. Also I liked the sequel too, wish they made more, but it seems theres a new Tron coming out soon so thats chill imo. Im a big fan of the overall aesthetic of this ride and even though its taking forever to build Im excited for it

Rich Brownn

I saw the original TRON in 70mm (the computer parts were filmed in 70mm). At the end, when you zoom back to the real world, it was a bit disorienting. A friend said that it must have how Alice felt waking up out of Wonderland.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Thanks, you removed my last nagging thought that maybe I should see this movie. I can move on
You should watch it just for the uncanny valley. If they ever re-release I hope they can deepfake a more convincing de-aged Dude. Also, while the story may be rudimentary, the music more than makes up for it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Now that Covid is behind us and the company is once again flush with cash can they finish this overhaul?

The TRON aesthetic was a good one to revamp the land assuming that was the end game. Honestly not sure. It became something of a mess as it continued to limp along. I was really hoping Tomorrowland would finally get a visual identity or unifying design.

Midwest Elitist

Two things I hope they don't touch is the lighting and the music. I'm a bit younger then most of you folks so you may have a different opinion, but one of my favorite memories of Disney is chilling right by the speakers and just staring in awe at the neon lights of the land.

Edit: Also if they replace the Star Tunnel music I'm never going back.

Last edited:

Phil12

Now that Covid is behind us and the company is once again flush with cash can they finish this overhaul?

The TRON aesthetic was a good one to revamp the land assuming that was the end game. Honestly not sure. It became something of a mess as it continued to limp along. I was really hoping Tomorrowland would finally get a visual identity or unifying design.
You're right. I expect they'll revamp it to a Rap version:

Diamond Dot

You should watch it just for the uncanny valley. If they ever re-release I hope they can deepfake a more convincing de-aged Dude. Also, while the story may be rudimentary, the music more than makes up for it.
I don't know if we are allowed to do this, but, look up Shamook Tron on YouTube. The Solo one is pretty darn great too.

Animaniac93-98

Food for thought, here's a list of Tomorrowland attractions from 40 years ago:

- Grand Prix Raceway
- Carousel of Progress
- Circle-Vision 360: Magic Carpet 'Round the World
- If You Had Wings
- Mission to Mars
- Skyway to Fantasyland
- Space Mountain
- Star Jets
- WEDway PeopleMover

Now here's the line up once TRON opens:

- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger's Spin
- Carousel of Progress
- Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
- Space Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
- TRON: Lightcycle Power Run

Two things stand out looking at these lists;

1) a surprising number of things haven't changed that much. Tomorrowland '94 was very much focused on the theater shows which were the most dated aspects of the land at the time. Several attractions stayed and only got minor revisions. And now we even have the Grand Prix Raceway poster back under the Main Street RR station!

2) Capacity has not been improved. We're getting TRON, but still no replacement for Stitch, the Skyway or Galaxy Palace Theater. Monsters Inc also seats fewer people than the all-standing Circle Vision theater. Dining capacity is reduced with the ever closed Noodle Station.

Beyond the half-hearted attempt to go back to the pre-'94 aesthetic of the land, and the need for proper refurbs of Space and CoP, there's still much more room for improvement in 2021.

trainplane3

Strange. They're owned by the same parent company.
Ya someone commented that on my post. I didn't know that. I wonder if they're sponsoring it since Tron is so far behind? (Remember, they're the sponsor of that ride). But still, same company and all...

HMF

Food for thought, here's a list of Tomorrowland attractions from 40 years ago:

- Grand Prix Raceway
- Carousel of Progress
- Circle-Vision 360: Magic Carpet 'Round the World
- If You Had Wings
- Mission to Mars
- Skyway to Fantasyland
- Space Mountain
- Star Jets
- WEDway PeopleMover

Now here's the line up once TRON opens:

- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger's Spin
- Carousel of Progress
- Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
- Space Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
- TRON: Lightcycle Power Run

Two things stand out looking at these lists;

1) a surprising number of things haven't changed that much. Tomorrowland '94 was very much focused on the theater shows which were the most dated aspects of the land at the time. Several attractions stayed and only got minor revisions. And now we even have the Grand Prix Raceway poster back under the Main Street RR station!

2) Capacity has not been improved. We're getting TRON, but still no replacement for Stitch, the Skyway or Galaxy Palace Theater. Monsters Inc also seats fewer people than the all-standing Circle Vision theater. Dining capacity is reduced with the ever closed Noodle Station.

Beyond the half-hearted attempt to go back to the pre-'94 aesthetic of the land, and the need for proper refurbs of Space and CoP, there's still much more room for improvement in 2021.
I have written an article on the history of Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom.

TransportationGuy

Strange. They're owned by the same parent company.
Enterprise Holdings is very careful about how they spend marketing dollars and utilize their different brands to target very different travel segments for each of their brands. Now that international travel (Alamo’s target market) is booming, it’s time to highlight Enterprise’s (domestic leisure target market) offerings again

Simon83079

Interesting question. Does anyone know if at all we will see the peoplemover signs be replaced/ updated? They are still using the 90s one but Ive been seeing a lotta the other signs being updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom