News Tomorrowland love

Cesar R M

humorously, the Fremont Street Experience is more futuristic in it's technology than Tomorrowland....
I think it's great we are getting a new ride and all, but it sure would have been nice to have had that budget to completely overhaul Tomorrowland, Replace Stitch, Redo Space Mountain and freshen up the whole aesthetic...
And while Tron will be nice, the money spent on the entire land might have gone a lot further...
Agree.. but sadly everything has to be about the "hot" ips now.

Simon83079

When was Tron ever a hot IP?
Not really. Tron was quite popular in China hence why they made the ride. The ride then became popular via american tourists wanting it here. And tbh it is quite futuristic. Probs the most futuristic thing in Tomorrowland at all now. Stitch gone. Monsters Inc has no sci fi at all. Buzz is about toys with a sci fi theme (Which tbh I hope they retheme when the film comes out and update it a bit) CoP is outdated tbh. Id love to see them return it to Disneyland as Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and maybe create an updated one with a star cast called Walt Disney Presents the Carousel of Progress maybe with an actual animatronic of him at the start idk. Space Mountain is the only real sci fi thing in Tomorrowland. The speedway could be tbh if maybe they were electrically sponsored by tesla or something. Tron is really bringing in a fresh lick of futuristic feeling. I just hope they extend that theme beyond the tiny corner it will sit in.

Cesar R M

When was Tron ever a hot IP?
When the reboot/sequel launched it was lauded everywhere, spammed everywhere. pr campaigns everywhere. Maybe it isnt "hot" now. But it is still a very recognized franchise.

And let's be honest.. lets see Disney's track on how long it took them to build their "franchise" lands.
Pandora took eons to finish.

celluloid

When the reboot/sequel launched it was lauded everywhere, spammed everywhere. pr campaigns everywhere. Maybe it isnt "hot" now. But it is still a very recognized franchise.

And let's be honest.. lets see Disney's track on how long it took them to build their "franchise" lands.

This is even worse. Avatar was announced in 2011 and the movie had just come out two years before. Completed years longer than it should have taken. A large scale land even if attractions are hit or miss with audiences. It is a cloned rollercoaster in the dark.

Tron Legacy was released in 2010. Built as a coaster in Shanghai years ago, still being built here. And the movie was not a hit in the states. As much as lauded it underperformed big time. It is futuristic aesthetic and a property recognized vs none that Iger has a big grin for, but no, it did not do so hot in China either. Hubris.

Brad Bishop

Part of me wants to be able to put some of the tron style covering here and there to make the land seem like one cause otherwise its just TOMORROWLAND WHITE 60s then a tiny corner being the tron style. Plus I think the 90s themeing with the tron outlines could work tbh.

I like that idea (the Tron canopy over Tomorrowland) That'd be cool.

Phil12

Don’t quote me on the hat, but I thought it was intended to be permanent. If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.
Is anything really permanent? After all, the sun will burn out one day or a massive asteroid will hit the earth. You've got to look at the long range story as does Bob Chapek.

Homer fan

Not really. Tron was quite popular in China hence why they made the ride. The ride then became popular via american tourists wanting it here. And tbh it is quite futuristic. Probs the most futuristic thing in Tomorrowland at all now. Stitch gone. Monsters Inc has no sci fi at all. Buzz is about toys with a sci fi theme (Which tbh I hope they retheme when the film comes out and update it a bit) CoP is outdated tbh. Id love to see them return it to Disneyland as Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and maybe create an updated one with a star cast called Walt Disney Presents the Carousel of Progress maybe with an actual animatronic of him at the start idk. Space Mountain is the only real sci fi thing in Tomorrowland. The speedway could be tbh if maybe they were electrically sponsored by tesla or something. Tron is really bringing in a fresh lick of futuristic feeling. I just hope they extend that theme beyond the tiny corner it will sit in.
Interesting, that made me think, has Disney ever considered using an animitronic of Walt in the park entrance or in an attraction? That would be amazing! @lentesta maybe something to ask Jim Hill?

aladdin2007

Interesting, that made me think, has Disney ever considered using an animitronic of Walt in the park entrance or in an attraction? That would be amazing! @lentesta maybe something to ask Jim Hill?
I read once somewhere that it was in writing by Walt's family for that to never happen. anyone know? maybe it was just a rumor, but seemed like there was something to it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

TRON is also a very easy IP to understand, even if you've never seen either of the two movies....the plot "you get sucked into a computer and have to play games to survive".

An easy to understand plot and the great aesthetic of the neon glow helps a lot with popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom