News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

Whatever they do with the speedway, I hope they redesign the layout to make it more interesting and add some show scenes and effects... The Hong Kong Speedway was charming with it's electric futuristic looking cars and some very basic sets... They could do more and really make this a must see attraction.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Whatever they do with the speedway, I hope they redesign the layout to make it more interesting and add some show scenes and effects... The Hong Kong Speedway was charming with it's electric futuristic looking cars and some very basic sets... They could do more and really make this a must see attraction.
The Speedway in its current form (read that to = slow, meandering cars), turned into a Sugar Rush overlay (read that to = an actual fast paced "race" style ride), would have to be significantly revamped to include more responsive electric cars that 1. Go over 3 miles and hour, and 2. Actually feel like you're driving and/or piloting a race car. The only way to pull this off would be to completely automate the ride and take the control away from the driver (i.e. mission space "push this button..NOW!" type controls).

or, they could just put some screenz up of the movie here and there and blow some wind in your face to create the effect of "going fast", pipe in some peppermint candy scent when cars crash in front of you (on the screenz), and call it a day.

I'd like for them to shrink it and annex it to Fantasyland with SugarRush theme, add interactive queue to design candy cars, runtime with 2 more laps. Other part of track can go to TSL; re-themed to Green Army Men convoy with hill or rocky terrain feature. Sarge on coms with a mission. SFX-laden scenes.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

I'd like for them to shrink it and annex it to Fantasyland with SugarRush theme, interactive queue to design candy cars, add 2 more laps. Other part of track goes to TSL; re-themed to Green Army Men convoy with hill or rocky terrain feature. Sarge on coms with a mission. SFX-laden scenes.

now that's blue sky thinking right there! lol

Pixieish

The Speedway in its current form (read that to = slow, meandering cars), turned into a Sugar Rush overlay (read that to = an actual fast paced "race" style ride), would have to be significantly revamped to include more responsive electric cars that 1. Go over 3 miles and hour, and 2. Actually feel like you're driving and/or piloting a race car. The only way to pull this off would be to completely automate the ride and take the control away from the driver (i.e. mission space "push this button..NOW!" type controls).

or, they could just put some screenz up of the movie here and there and blow some wind in your face to create the effect of "going fast", pipe in some peppermint candy scent when cars crash in front of you (on the screenz), and call it a day.

Actually...they need to go study K1 Racing. Those guys have got electric go-karts down to a science. No ridiculous rails, either.

Pixieish

Too much personal control of the vehicles, even with the remote kill switch. The first time someone slides into another cart and claims whiplash (because it's Disney! Easy money from the 800lbs gorilla) the ride is permanently closed.

I'm sure if they wanted to they could figure out how to word a release and signage that would cover them. Go-karts are in continuous operation all over the country. And yeah...humans suck.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Too much personal control of the vehicles, even with the remote kill switch. The first time someone slides into another cart and claims whiplash (because it's Disney! Easy money from the 800lbs gorilla) the ride is permanently closed.
I'm sure if they wanted to they could figure out how to word a release and signage that would cover them. Go-karts are in continuous operation all over the country. And yeah...humans suck.

The first gen Autopia at DL had no guide rails. It was carnage. Hence the guide rails.

They can keep the limited riding on a rail set-up and limit speeds (electric carts don't have to go fast). Just switch it to electric and make it look a lot nicer, especially at night. This is the TRON ride for little kids. The one for adults is right next door.

Yep. Surely some sort of magnetic damper could cushion the side to side rail bumping - smoother ride whilst still feeling "in control". Add electric or hybrid engines with onboard audio, an interesting track layout and suitable aesthetics and it’d be light years away from the current version.

rle4lunch

The first gen Autopia at DL had no guide rails. It was carnage. Hence the guide rails.

Yep. Surely some sort of magnetic damper could cushion the side to side rail bumping - smoother ride whilst still feeling "in control". Add electric or hybrid engines with onboard audio, an interesting track layout and suitable aesthetics and it’d be light years away from the current version.

There is plenty of tech available that could be utilized that would easily turn it into an actual ride that fits tomorrowland.

When were the guides installed? (Year)

mikejs78

Premium Member

Or allow the cars to go a little faster but use modern driver assist technogy to prevent collisions and such. Rather than guard rails, why not self driving car tech to assist the drivers and prevent collisions? It's not ready for open road yet, but certainly is for a fixed track at low speeds...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Or allow the cars to go a little faster but use modern driver assist technogy to prevent collisions and such. Rather than guard rails, why not self driving car tech to assist the drivers and prevent collisions? It's not ready for open road yet, but certainly is for a fixed track at low speeds...
I was thinking along the lines of what would pass strategic planning. But yes, modern cars already have enough tech to easily adapt and implement on the ride to prevent collisions. If my car can stop before it hits something, knows the speed limit and tells me I’m drifting lanes into another vehicles path I’m sure WDI could too, given the budget.

Missing20K

I was thinking along the lines of what would pass strategic planning. But yes, modern cars already have enough tech to easily adapt and implement on the ride to prevent collisions. If my car can stop before it hits something, knows the speed limit and tells me I’m drifting lanes into another vehicles path I’m sure WDI could too, given the budget.

Are they often "given the budget"?

Pixieish

I'm sure if the cars were easier to control...you know...like a real car, the rails wouldn't be as big of a deal. Same with the pedals...what's up with needing to have the legs of a sprinter in order to make the cars go?

I have to admit, I was impressed with how well the little kids did. There were mostly kids (some as young as 5) who'd never driven a go-kart before and they rarely even bumped one another. But...there's always that one kid...and he caused a problem twice. (Both times at hairpin turns.)

geekza

We all keep talking as if Iger cares at all about consistency in theming. I can almost guarantee that whatever is added is simply going to be an excuse to pump in characters. The Incredibles looks to have taken place in an alternate 1960's. Tron is only futuristic if you think that we're working toward being able to fully inhabit a computer-generated world. Wreck-It Ralph is about a 1980's video game character. Buzz Lightyear is a toy. At this point, Tomorrowland has no theme. They should just go ahead and change the name to something else.

*Q*

Maybe if they annexed the Speedway to Fantasyland. I'm struggling to see how a candy-themed racing game fits into Tomorrowland, though.

Granted, a modern Indy-style speedway doesn't really fit either... I'm an advocate for just getting rid of it. It takes up such a huge footprint and adds so much noise and air pollution to the area.
Ideally what I'd like to see happen is have the Speedway given the Tron treatment with the neon electric cars and also have it go inside the Power Run building and travel underneath the light cycle coaster for a bit. Combine that with the PeopleMover going inside too and you've got something that matches the ambition and thoughtfulness of old Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom