News Tomorrowland love

trainplane3

Don't forget the Astro Orbiter's spire and the colored sidewalk itself.
Honestly, you may as well circle the entire photo; other than the basic shape of things like the buildings, the Peoplemover track, and Space Mountain's exterior, everything was either changed or completely redressed in 1994.
I didn't circle Astro Orbiter since it's apparently staying how it is and I did miss the concrete work somehow. Good point though. So @disreport, just google "Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland" and look at that. See how white/blue, clean, and sleek everything is? Ours could look like that as long as plans stick. Except the spires at the entrance.

GlacierGlacier

WDW bonked the 90’s refurb? I thought it was perfect!! :D :D :D
I meant that if they had wanted to use classic Tomorrowland and turn it into a retrofuturistic style they now have to do much more work to change it than they would've had to do back in the 90s. They bonked their opportunity for a different form of stylization with the mid-90s lasers, plasma, and stainless steelm

disneyC97

Aside from the entry spires and Space Mountain itself the original design of TL looked very uninspired/pedestrian by the early 90s IMHO. The worst part of the ‘94 revamp was the unfinished west end.
I’m hopeful this redesign unifies the entire land without going too far back to the 70s/80s look.

Last edited:

Clamman73

Basically all of the metal stuff. I think this amazingly well photoshopped picture sums it up. Someone please correct me if this isn't right.
Hqf8Vhc.png
Just getting rid of that laugh floor UFO thing would help a lot aesthetically and with traffic flow when it’s a bit crowded in that section.

Kman101

Me too... assuming you weren't being sarcastic...

I think '90s WDW Tomorrowland looked great when it was new and held up longer than anyone could have reasonably expected. It's absolutely time for something different, though.

Me too. I think it worked well when you had Alien and Timekeeper ... it was a good makeover, IMO. Disneyland's is where they failed the execution. Great on paper, poor in execution. WDW's Tomorrowland really isn't too bad when comparing to the others. But it's absolutely time for something new.

sedati

I'd like a Tomorrowland that has a look of history and evolution to it. This is something most lands convey. Different areas within the land that predate others. Some things polished and new, others weathered and beaten. Who lives there? What are their lives like? Architecture is only part of the storytelling I expect from a themed land.

trainplane3

Out of all the Tomorrowland updates WDW's 94 was IMO the most successful, especially when compared with Disneyland's 98...

View attachment 276688

6fda0341cec3df199d4c61907c02cfce.gif
Auto like for the RLM gif.

I still don't get why they went with brown... okay, bronze. I understand it was for a heavy retheme but it doesn't make it any better. The only colors I can ever see working on SM are white (duh!) or a "Tronified" blue and white scheme.

trainplane3

DL Space Mountain 98. The Tomorrowland makeover budget was savaged. The cars were given onboard audio with a track and support system that couldn’t take the additional weight.
And they lost their Peoplemover for a half ... thrill ride. Has there been any talk about the Peoplemover returning? I've heard it needs major love (and OSHA compliance?) if it were to ever open again. It just seems insane to lose a ride like that...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And they lost their Peoplemover for a half ... thrill ride. Has there been any talk about the Peoplemover returning? I've heard it needs major love (and OSHA compliance?) if it were to ever open again. It just seems insane to lose a ride like that...
Let's see -- a "half ... thrill" would either be a "thr" or an "ill." I'm guessing you were going for "ill."

180º

DL Space Mountain 98. The Tomorrowland makeover budget was savaged. The cars were given onboard audio with a track and support system that couldn’t take the additional weight.
Didn’t the onboard audio happen a few years prior, in 1995? Was it still considered part of the TL98 budget?

trainplane3

I expect the track remains to be removed sooner rather than later. :(
Wow...that's just depressing. It seems like something so simple (in the sense of hyping up a returning attraction, not repairs) to add back into the land. It would be a nice people eater for when SWGE opens over there. I know I'd go to max salt if we lost our Peoplemover in WDW.
Let's see -- a "half ... thrill" would either be a "thr" or an "ill." I'm guessing you were going for "ill."
I suppose the execs that okayed turning a slow moving, people eating attraction into a terrible, low capacity, unreliable pile were very ill in the head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom