News Tomorrowland love

Brad Bishop

I've decided maybe it should change its name to transportationland. Speedway(cars), Tron(bikes), WDW Railroad(Trains), Peoplemover, Space Mountain & Astro(Space/Rocket Ships). Maybe throw in a nice boat ride and call it a day. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, we used to have a submarine near by...

That's kind of the thing. It used to be an exciting land because of all of the movement around you:
- Peoplemover
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Skyway
- Submarines
- Astro Orbiter
- Monorail (Disneyland - it just adds to it)

Now it's Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter (with non-spinning planets, unless they finally fixed it), and Speedway.

It feels like a dead land.

Want to fix the Speedway AND have it fit: Change the Speedway to roads like Disneyland and make the cars autonomous (they already do this with other rides - this would just be outdoors) so your car would automatically drive you around the course but maybe would pull out and pass people (all slow, of course) and be electric. That would be something of Tomorrow.

It's not an IP, though.

FullSailDan

That’s what should’ve happened. I agree. Then WDW gets a unique facade for TRON and it transitions better. :)
Challenge here being that WDW's tomorrowland was in an identity crisis anyways. It didn't feel like a cohesive theme anymore. The corridor from the hub bridge, the carousel of progress, and the area near the speedway felt like 3 distinct zones. With the speedway area feeling the most disconnected and lacking in appeal. Current futuristic design is at a complete dichotomy of what the 90's painted it as. In the 90's neon and chrome ruled the roost. Today, modern design focuses on a mixture of natural and man made materials in more muted tones with pops of color. I see what they are trying to channel, and given the bones they have to work with, it's not bad.

I don't even think the zone is being built around Tron, I foresee Tron being a bit of a weird sight in the current iteration with it's use of glass. My only thought is they are focusing on nighttime views and planning to use LEDs and maybe projections to alter the area and create cohesion.

Kman101

Tron was designed specifically to fit in Tomorrowland at SDL. Not the WDW Tomorrowland of 2010, 1994 or 1975.

Instead of trying to make the rest of Tomorrowland fit Tron, maybe Tron should have had its exterior changed to fit Tomorrowland?

I'm not against changing colours or going retro, but this seems like an overly complicated way to fix a problem.

I imagine it was cheaper to just clone it ;)

To be fair though, Tomorrowland before the weird "retro" paint job, was still lacking cohesion ... and it still is. lol

I agree they seem to overly complicate simple things ...

Timothy_Q

Some views of the new paint in TL as of today:

Gotta say as much of a mish-mash it is right now, the bright colors look nice. Just gotta fix up the area by the hub to make it all the same theme (you know, less "alien").

I can finally see some cohesion.

This looks like it belongs next to the CoP and the rockettower plaza paint jobs

I feel more positive about this now

Brad Bishop

I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking I'm right:

I think those of you who are expecting more than paint + Tron are going to be disappointed.

At some point Tron will be done and they'll look at the budget and say, "Ok. That's enough paint," and that'll be that. Then the 50th will roll around and there'll be no pressure to do anything else <- that's the big one - no reason to add more after the 50th.

Basically: budget cuts.

I could still say this about the 1994 redo: "I'll hold my judgement until it's finished."

I still question the Future World redo at Epcot. I think that, while it's currently on the table, it'll either be scrapped or scaled back after the 50th because they've had great luck with festivals. Why spend all of that money on Future World when you get people to pay an incredibly high cover to go to an outdoor bar AND they all show up?

I think that it's likely that the Epcot refurb will amount to:
- redo the entrance to remove the grave stones and return it back to how it once was
- empty / leave the buildings empty in Innoventions (or whatever the name was). They could use those buildings with some curtains for things like F&W, Festival of the Arts, F&G, Festival of Summer, etc. It makes more sense than tearing them down. Maybe put a coat of paint on them.

Are they really going to spend $1B+ on Epcot after the 50th, after spending money on DL and DHS, and after Tron? Epcot will have gotten two new rides and potentially a new country.

Clamman73

I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking I'm right:

I think those of you who are expecting more than paint + Tron are going to be disappointed.

At some point Tron will be done and they'll look at the budget and say, "Ok. That's enough paint," and that'll be that. Then the 50th will roll around and there'll be no pressure to do anything else <- that's the big one - no reason to add more after the 50th.

Basically: budget cuts.

I could still say this about the 1994 redo: "I'll hold my judgement until it's finished."

I still question the Future World redo at Epcot. I think that, while it's currently on the table, it'll either be scrapped or scaled back after the 50th because they've had great luck with festivals. Why spend all of that money on Future World when you get people to pay an incredibly high cover to go to an outdoor bar AND they all show up?

I think that it's likely that the Epcot refurb will amount to:
- redo the entrance to remove the grave stones and return it back to how it once was
- empty / leave the buildings empty in Innoventions (or whatever the name was). They could use those buildings with some curtains for things like F&W, Festival of the Arts, F&G, Festival of Summer, etc. It makes more sense than tearing them down. Maybe put a coat of paint on them.

Are they really going to spend $1B+ on Epcot after the 50th, after spending money on DL and DHS, and after Tron? Epcot will have gotten two new rides and potentially a new country.
I don’t see them holding back now since they put up new towers at Coronado, Caribbean...Cove hotel, Star Wars hotel. I think they know people get bored of the same old stuff like food booths every year.

trainplane3

More pictures of painting work throughout TL:
http://blogmickey.com/2019/04/photo...eme-arrives-in-tomorrowland-at-magic-kingdom/
D5Zs00IWkAAb9YR.jpg:orig

D5Zs00FW0AUYG6w.jpg:orig

The comparison shot is nice:
auntie-gravitys-old-paint-scheme-1024x768.jpg

tomorrowland-repainting-04302019-2-1024x682.jpg

Bocabear

Having just been to Shanghai Disneyland and seeing their Tomorrowland in person, I can say that no paint scheme can replicate the look of what they have done their with their Tomorrowland. It is more than just finishes...it is the structures themselves....and it is very modern and very beautiful...but somehow lacks for lack of a better word, fun... It looks like serious architecture...similar to the new buildings being built in Shanghai...and while there are lots of beautiful colored lights, as a whole it sort of lacks joy... Perhaps it is the scale which is massive and the fact that there are very few attractions... While the amoeba canopy is beautiful and all, it really is a very large plain building... Our original Tomorrowland with all it's faults is much nicer in scale...The paint scheme will hopefully refresh the overall look, but I am not sure how any of this will fit what I saw in Shanghai...

Brad Bishop

Having just been to Shanghai Disneyland and seeing their Tomorrowland in person, I can say that no paint scheme can replicate the look of what they have done their with their Tomorrowland. It is more than just finishes...it is the structures themselves....and it is very modern and very beautiful...but somehow lacks for lack of a better word, fun... It looks like serious architecture...similar to the new buildings being built in Shanghai...and while there are lots of beautiful colored lights, as a whole it sort of lacks joy... Perhaps it is the scale which is massive and the fact that there are very few attractions... While the amoeba canopy is beautiful and all, it really is a very large plain building... Our original Tomorrowland with all it's faults is much nicer in scale...The paint scheme will hopefully refresh the overall look, but I am not sure how any of this will fit what I saw in Shanghai...

Is it possible that with Shanghai that it needs a decade or two for the foliage to grow? Like if you look at early pics of the Magic Kingdom it looks very empty compared to now and a lot of that is 50 years of growth (plants).

It's something MK's Tomorrowland really could use: trees, maybe a water feature besides the giant ball. The metal trees are nice/neat but they really don't replicate just having regular trees in TL. The metal trees would be great for a patio where I'm having drinks.

Forgetting for a moment about the attractions in TL (MK), if they could just make better use of the space and have some futuristic facades (kind of like what they started in 1994) up, that'd still be a win. The TL dance party stage are just tells me they're out of ideas.

Bocabear

Is it possible that with Shanghai that it needs a decade or two for the foliage to grow? Like if you look at early pics of the Magic Kingdom it looks very empty compared to now and a lot of that is 50 years of growth (plants).

It's something MK's Tomorrowland really could use: trees, maybe a water feature besides the giant ball. The metal trees are nice/neat but they really don't replicate just having regular trees in TL. The metal trees would be great for a patio where I'm having drinks.

Forgetting for a moment about the attractions in TL (MK), if they could just make better use of the space and have some futuristic facades (kind of like what they started in 1994) up, that'd still be a win. The TL dance party stage are just tells me they're out of ideas.
At Shanghai's Tomorrowland it is more a matter of scale... The open spaces are designed to be open... So I do not believe having time for the vegetation to grow in is going to change the overall effect... It is more a matter of scale, and that goes for the whole park. It is absolutely immense. The way they designed the land with elevated walkways on different levels it kind of feels like an abandoned shopping mall. Very pretty but seems very vacant... The Jet Packs attraction sits all by itself...not close enough to anything else to relate...Everything seems like brushed aluminum...Very pretty at nights with their colored lighting, but again, just feels like there is a lot missing... And the distance you have to travel from Tron to the next attraction in Fantasyland is just immense... Lots of long walking paths with nothing but greenery... Like they scattered the attractions around Central park... In time when they add another 10 attractions or so it is going to be great, and the Pirate's Cove section is absolutely amazing... but the park feels very unfinished and lacking attractions...and the layout is just odd....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom