News Tomorrowland love

Brer Panther

View attachment 367088

I've got a sudden taste for an orange creamsicle.
Which I guess is kind of fitting, considering that it's an ice cream shop.

The ugliest for sure. I still can’t believe they plopped Astro Orbiter (or is it Orbitor there?) right in the front by the hub, making it a congested mess to enter the land when they have a perfectly fine loading platform sitting abandoned along with their Peoplemover track. I wish the 2055 concept was successful, or at least done better since it was a cool idea, but at this point Disneyland imagineers should work at making that Tomorrowland look more like it does in Florida. Stick to a white/blue clean looking color scheme, move Astro or bring back the Rocket Jets (or packs like in Shanghai) and Peoplemover, and replace Star Tours and Innoventions with a new attraction as Galaxy’s Edge will be opened soon.
By "the 2055 concept", do you mean when they painted it all in brown and bronze? Because to be honest, I thought the repainted Space Mountain looked ugly. I'm sorry, but it looked like somebody threw up on it...

britain

Technically the 2055 concept was abandoned (and would have been rather purple and gold? Hard to tell by all the night time concept art). It was replaced by the watered down brown (ew!) “dreams fuel the future” concept that used the Paris color template without any of the ornate Paris metallic materials - all they had was paint.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Teal, white, gray and maybe red-orange. Those would have worked. An Easterfied Tomorrowland doesn't. I don't think a pastel palette is befitting of the the future! I associate those colors with grandma's house, jordan almonds and sidewalk chalk. I was good with a "Wall-E" color scheme or even a bolder "The Jetsons" or "Futurama" aesthetic but those cutesy powdered colors just come off as being too "saccharine" unlike anything associated with sci-fi and the future. That said. It does pair well with CoP and some of the "shoppes" in TL so maybe it'll work!? I wish Disney would drop some concept art. Going to the past for inspiration is a solid choice. Now make it work.

Last edited:

azox

Teal, white, gray and maybe red-orange. Those would have worked. An Easterfied Tomorrowland doesn't. I don't think a pastel palette is befitting of the the future! I associate those colors with grandma's house, jordan almonds and sidewalk chalk. I was good with a "Wall-E" color scheme or even a bolder "The Jetsons" or "Futurama" aesthetic but those cutesy powdered colors just come off as being too "saccharine" unlike anything associated with sci-fi and the future. That said. It does pair well with CoP and some of the "shoppes" in TL so maybe it'll work!? I wish Disney would drop some concept art.

Does the new paint come from the COP pallet? or are they different shades? (it's hard to tell from the photos)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Does the new paint come from the COP pallet? or are they different shades? (it's hard to tell from the photos)

Possibly. The color choices are very decades-centrics but grounded more in the 40s, 50s. There's a bit of art deco and streamline designs in the land too. The color scheme could work. I'm just not sure how or if it will play well with Tron and some of the other offerings in TL. I am getting a CoP vibe though.

ToTBellHop

Possibly. The color choices are very decades-centrics but grounded more in the 40s, 50s. There's a bit of art deco and streamline designs in the land too. The color scheme could work. I'm just not sure how or if it will play well with Tron and some of the other offerings in TL. I am getting a CoP vibe though.
Perhaps if they had updated the look over 3 months instead of several years, there’d be less confusion over the desired aesthetic. While I understand the view that it doesn’t NEED to be done until 2021, TDO seems to forget about 40 million guests will pass MK’s entrance touch-points between now and the start of the most magical celebration on earth.

ZmBe13

I think they should replace stitch with ELLEN ENCOUNTER. It wouldnt be too hard, just replace stitch with the animatronic from Ellen's energy adventure. Ellen is back and shes angry you demo'd her ride. I mean really if you saw this coming at you in the middle of the night tell me it wouldn't be scary.
ellentronic.png

MickeyMouse10

To tell you the truth I don't like the new look they are going with so far for Tomorrowland. It seems very boring in the Tron area, light blue and white. I've seen truck stop restrooms with much more color. They should have went more alien with it, like they did with the entrance.

The Tomorrownaut

Not sure if this has been suggested before in the course of these color updates, but is it out of the question that these new bright plain colored walls could be the canvas for continuous nighttime projection mapping throughout the whole land? Tree of Life has proven that something like this could be possible. Can you imagine what an amazing update that would be for the 50th anniversary?

SteamboatJoe

At this moment, I prefer a white/blue/gray palette with some purple accents here and there. The creamsicle orange is an odd choice to me but it may look better when the surrounding architectural elements and signage are removed/updated to reflect the new aesthetic. My hope is they'll off-set the sterile look with more greenery, less concrete, and by updating the vibrant and colorful nighttime lighting effects.

MickeyMouse10

Not sure if this has been suggested before in the course of these color updates, but is it out of the question that these new bright plain colored walls could be the canvas for continuous nighttime projection mapping throughout the whole land? Tree of Life has proven that something like this could be possible. Can you imagine what an amazing update that would be for the 50th anniversary?

Oh my, that would be super duper and cheap. It could be like what they are doing over in Disneyland on Main Street.

trainplane3

The right answer, IMHO, is in my avatar (which I still wear in reverence of our friend, Unkadug, who will always be a fond memory to old timers here).

It is the best look that Tomorrowland ever had, and works beautifully in Florida. Nice clean lines, futuristic aesthetic.
It would've been nice if they brought the spires back but then again, that would've cost more then a can of paint.

SteamboatJoe

I've always liked the idea of the land being completely transformed into something different at night using lighting. I hadn't thought about projections but they definitely could be part of achieving said concept as well.

trainplane3

I've always liked the idea of the land being completely transformed into something different at night using lighting. I hadn't thought about projections but they definitely could be part of achieving said concept as well.
My personal plan would include a primarily white and blue scheme for TL. Once 7pm comes, the dynamic lighting kicks in and TL becomes the Grid. Area soundtrack changes and MnG characters are Tron related (even regular Disney characters like Stitch or Buzz become "Tronified"). Lots of blue, pulsating lighting as if the Land is a running computer.

At set moments the lighting turns red and villains emerge along with the more "evil" sounding Tron Legacy soundtrack songs.

Thing is, this wouldn't be hard to pull off. Some lighting and projector installation throughout the land and a lot more white paint based murals (think the current purple wall design and nuking the 90s TL metal stuff in the process) and you're good. You have the nice 70s TL during the day with the world of Tron at night. You appease the nostalgia freaks and the people that love Disney (other IP I guess?) characters in general.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

That was my initial thought. But, it sort of defeats the point of projection mapping. The maps are being displayed on visually intricate, interesting pieces (think the Castle, Main Street Buildings, SSE, the carved Tree of Life, etc.). That way, they are interesting in the light, and the effect is how you are able to transform that visually interesting (and physically complex) surface into something totally different. If you do it on a flat or simple surface, it's just projection.

If they wanted this, I would actually suggest the more streamlined white and blue palette would be the way to go - making the colors happen via projection.

Not saying that to flame or correct you at all! It was my reaction as well. It just seems a very odd choice given how odd it would look during the day just to support an effect at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom