News Tomorrowland love

ObscurityPoint

Which I guess is kind of fitting, considering that it's an ice cream shop.

By "the 2055 concept", do you mean when they painted it all in brown and bronze? Because to be honest, I thought the repainted Space Mountain looked ugly. I'm sorry, but it looked like somebody threw up on it...

View attachment 367136
No that Space Mountain looks terrible! I’m referring to more the idea of an intergalactic space port with robots and aliens as opposed to the original idea that was sort of like a preview of what EPCOT would become. I like the idea of them tying Tomorrowland together with a more cohesive story like they tried to do at DLP. So keep the idea alive but definitely incorporate a much sleeker, clean futuristic design.

rreading

I've felt that way since D23 2015/2017. Things were starting to sound better, like they realized they needed to expand, etc ... I had hoped maybe they finally "got it". They realized Stitch wasn't working. Yet here we are, just a bunch of painted buildings, Stitch replacement in limbo for years ... but hey, let's add Tron! (And I'm not against Tron like some ... but that doesn't "fix" the land)

So once again, they prove to me they don't get it. No, not everything can happen overnight, but their inability to move a little faster and make a decision is sad. And they shouldn't have cut the MK theater. They also haven't instilled much hope in me with the mess that is Epcot and DHS, who still needs SO much more. Meanwhile, Disneyland fans can cheer and be happy, they get a Mickey ride replacing a gift shop. Our signature park attraction was gutted. That says it all to me they still don't get it. People really want to know why we're so jaded? I was trying so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't.

It seems to me that they do get it...but what do they do with it?

They apparently looked pretty thoroughly at the idea of squeezing something (sugar rush?) into Stitch but apparently didn't think that it would work (not worth the money?/wouldn't get return visits?/capacity was meager?/technology wouldn't work?). While maybe Monsters doesn't fit the theme, it's popular and a people eater - my kids enjoy it and have never quibbled about thematic consistency; if I were not on this board, I wouldn't think it out of place either. COP is a really nice piece of history. Peoplemover is great. And Buzz is what it is.

It would be nice to upgrade the Tommorowland Speedway to electric but I expect that there are logistical reasons besides $$ that preclude changing.

Adding Tron is an addition; it's not the addition that I would prefer. The MK theater was a great suggestion that I am disappointed they axed. While $$ was probably the primary issue, the logistics of developing the area for thematic consistency may have been more that they were prepared for.

tldr: if I had unlimited $$ (which they really do), I am not sure what I would do with the Stitch space either

Sonconato

I've felt that way since D23 2015/2017. Things were starting to sound better, like they realized they needed to expand, etc ... I had hoped maybe they finally "got it". They realized Stitch wasn't working. Yet here we are, just a bunch of painted buildings, Stitch replacement in limbo for years ... but hey, let's add Tron! (And I'm not against Tron like some ... but that doesn't "fix" the land)

So once again, they prove to me they don't get it. No, not everything can happen overnight, but their inability to move a little faster and make a decision is sad. And they shouldn't have cut the MK theater. They also haven't instilled much hope in me with the mess that is Epcot and DHS, who still needs SO much more. Meanwhile, Disneyland fans can cheer and be happy, they get a Mickey ride replacing a gift shop. Our signature park attraction was gutted. That says it all to me they still don't get it. People really want to know why we're so jaded? I was trying so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't.
Your response went right to the heart of how I feel. I was looking forward to the MK theater and every time I go by the old Mission to Mars/Stitch I get sad. I better start looking at some of my Animal Kingdom photos to get me out of my blue funk.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, April 25, 2019. As the moat around the castle is partially drained, painting the exterior of the Starlight Café is ongoing.

IMG_1261.JPG

Darth Snips

It looks like these really bright colors are limited to the Speedway/Cosmic Ray's area right now. Maybe they're using these colors to soften the transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland? Regardless, I like the splash of colors. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

BoarderPhreak

I don't know what the heck they're doing with the teal and orange and peach currently, and I suspect they don't either (yet)... Clarly trying to capture that 50s SciFi and art deco vibe, but it's not working. It's horrible, and recalls that nastiness over on Innoventions, a.k.a. Sherwin Williams Barf.

trainplane3

It’s not exactly how I envisaged the overall aesthetic to end up, but you can start to see the intent and direction.
Same here. I was expecting it to be all white and blue like you hinted towards. Obviously something changed at some point. I'm just hoping they aren't forgetting the "main" entrance to the land. And some overall signage tweaks.

Kman101

Some views of the new paint in TL as of today:

Gotta say as much of a mish-mash it is right now, the bright colors look nice. Just gotta fix up the area by the hub to make it all the same theme (you know, less "alien").

I like a lot of it, again, in isolation. But what's the goal with all the random painting? I get it's because they are spreading out the "makeover" over several years here, so it's all piecemeal, and I know Martin and others have hinted at the goal, but it still seems like just such a mish-mash (like you said) ... But all the different pops of color is nice, I guess. I think white with some accent colors works fine, and I guess that's sort of what they're doing. IDK. I'm just not really getting it, I guess. (It also doesn't help the entrance is unfinished, the paint on the rocks is fading, we have a new/old Monsters Inc sign, but Stitch remains the same, then you have Buzz and the metal stuff all over ...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom