News Tomorrowland love

rle4lunch

Yes, Fantasyland has come a long way since the 70s.

View attachment 333421

View attachment 333422

:rolleyes:

MK Fantasyland is straight up tacky compared to DL's. I grew up going to WDW and didn't know better until I was 24 years old. MK NFL is great and they should've carried the design forward into the rest of the land. The split between new and old is striking and out of place.

T.Will

MK Fantasyland is straight up tacky compared to DL's. I grew up going to WDW and didn't know better until I was 24 years old. MK NFL is great and they should've carried the design forward into the rest of the land. The split between new and old is striking and out of place.
To be fair, MK's old FL is based on DL's original Fantasyland, which even Walt was unhappy with. It wasn't until 83 when DL's Fantasyland became what it is today.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Considering all the problems they had with it making sidewalks slippery, mold growing, and general re[air issues its very unlikely

Well, since this was humanity's first attempt at a waterfall, you could only imagine all the unforeseen things that went wrong. It's too bad we still haven't mastered architectural or landscaping waterfalls. Maybe someday...

;)

Kman101

Because Bob Chapek hates EPCOT Center and all it stood for.

Like Peter said, Bob probably didn't even know what "an Epcot" was. I actually doubt anyone "hates" it (and to be blunt, you can't lay everything at one doorstep, there are numerous people to blame for the condition of Epcot starting around 1994 ...). They're just too lazy to care what it should be about. They offer a lot of lip service but haven't really backed it up yet. Uncle $$$ has just ripped the final bandaid off and it stings for everyone. But Epcot's been dead for decades, honestly :( Can't live in a state of limbo forever. Do I agree with most things? Not really. But they don't care what we think, either, so ... what can we do?

Truthfully I'm more annoyed at those who ripped out Horizons, gave us lackluster Mission Space, Test Track (to be fair, I liked the crash test dummy version, the TRON-esque overlay is nice enough but not really a great attraction, sorry! I know it's blasphemous to criticize but oh well), a rehash of Nemo's movie plot, destroyed Imagination for an Abomination ... among other things (I'll give them a slight pass for Soarin') ... blame those guys for leaving Epcot, truthufully, in a total mess. Maybe if they had updated Maelstrom 10 years ago Frozen wouldn't have been shoehorned in. I mean, who knows what could have happened.

Is IP the answer? No (but I think it can have a place if done right, not saying everything should be). But they think it is. I just want cohesion, a real game plan, and care taken when using IP, but I've yet to see that. IP has never been the problem. Execution has been (hi Up! A Great Bird Adventure in AK ... meanwhile, Lion King is excellently used). #IMO

Last edited:

WDWTank

Like Peter said, Bob probably didn't even know what "an Epcot" was. I actually doubt anyone "hates" it (and to be blunt, you can't lay everything at one doorstep, there are numerous people to blame for the condition of Epcot starting around 1994 ...). They're just too lazy to care what it should be about. They offer a lot of lip service but haven't really backed it up yet. Uncle $$$ has just ripped the final bandaid off and it stings for everyone. But Epcot's been dead for decades, honestly :( Can't live in a state of limbo forever. Do I agree with most things? Not really. But they don't care what we think, either, so ... what can we do?

Truthfully I'm more annoyed at those who ripped out Horizons, gave us lackluster Mission Space, Test Track (to be fair, I liked the crash test dummy version, the TRON-esque overlay is nice enough but not really a great attraction, sorry! I know it's blasphemous to criticize but oh well), a rehash of Nemo's movie plot, destroyed Imagination for an Abomination ... among other things (I'll give them a slight pass for Soarin') ... blame those guys for leaving Epcot, truthufully, in a total mess. Maybe if they had updated Maelstrom 10 years ago Frozen wouldn't have been shoehorned in. I mean, who knows what could have happened.

Is IP the answer? No (but I think it can have a place if done right, not saying everything should be). But they think it is. I just want cohesion, a real game plan, and care taken when using IP, but I've yet to see that. IP has never been the problem. Execution has been (hi Up! A Great Bird Adventure in AK ... meanwhile, Lion King is excellently used). #IMO
I hope Bob Chapek gets ousted

Rich Brownn

To be fair, MK's old FL is based on DL's original Fantasyland, which even Walt was unhappy with. It wasn't until 83 when DL's Fantasyland became what it is today.
Well, since this was humanity's first attempt at a waterfall, you could only imagine all the unforeseen things that went wrong. It's too bad we still haven't mastered architectural or landscaping waterfalls. Maybe someday...

;)
The fact that Walt was unhappy with Fantasyland at DL makes it even weirder it was replicated in Florida. And as for the waterfalls, yeah, you'd have thought they'd have thought that through more. But then again, these were the same people who built a teacup ride in Florida with no roof, figured standing in uncovered queues would be no worse than California, and didn't even design proper drainage for Fantasyland (probably slowly slanting towards the carousel wasn't the best idea).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
The fact that Walt was unhappy with Fantasyland at DL makes it even weirder it was replicated in Florida. And as for the waterfalls, yeah, you'd have thought they'd have thought that through more. But then again, these were the same people who built a teacup ride in Florida with no roof, figured standing in uncovered queues would be no worse than California, and didn't even design proper drainage for Fantasyland (probably slowly slanting towards the carousel wasn't the best idea).
Fantasyland in Orlando seems to have really been the rushed land despite being the most populated (or perhaps that was the problem)

Add to the list the notorious pinch points, lack of usable extended queues, and a theatre whos preshow had more capacity than the main show and you have to wonder what was being smoked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom