Tomorrowland is themed worse than most themed lands you will find at a Six Flags park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

Carousel of Progress is supposed to be a historical part of Tomorrowland. It's supposed to be like Tomorrowland's museum. There fore they fit it in perfectly, IMO. Listen to the TTA next time you are on it.:wave:
For the record, the only thing TTA says about CoP is:

"Now approaching: Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress."

Thats it.

Wilt Dasney

I'm (honestly, really) not all that passionate about the issue, BUT...if the way we're saying CoP fits the land is because of a backstory constructed separate from the narrative inside the attraction itself — meaning a backstory you have to go beyond what's actually presented in the theater to get a handle on — then it seems fair to say they had to stretch to make it fit. :D

Monsterfan99

Having spent way too much time at a Six Flags park (SF Great America) in the last year including 3 hours today, Tomorrowland is miles ahead. At least Disney uses monster in Monster Inc and Stich. To kids, and some adults of a time gone past, monsters represented a time in the future with wild science exsperiments.

I will also say, Tomorrowland is easy to explain. Now try explaining why a Superman and The Dark Knight roller coasters are in Orleans place section of a park. Yes it is due to space, but when I think New Orleans, neither pops into my mind.

slappy magoo

I vote for renaming it "21st Century Schizoid Land."

Even if you're not a prog rock nerd, it's an apt name. Admit it.

ryno1982

Having spent way too much time at a Six Flags park (SF Great America) in the last year including 3 hours today, Tomorrowland is miles ahead. At least Disney uses monster in Monster Inc and Stich. To kids, and some adults of a time gone past, monsters represented a time in the future with wild science exsperiments.

I will also say, Tomorrowland is easy to explain. Now try explaining why a Superman and The Dark Knight roller coasters are in Orleans place section of a park. Yes it is due to space, but when I think New Orleans, neither pops into my mind.

Ha ha for talking about Great America. I was actually going to bring up Orleans Place, but looks like I don't have to. :ROFLOL:

Philo

Are we back on topic?

My 2 cents - Tomorrowland isn't really about the future anymore (despite the name). It's more of a sci-fi / new technology (real or fictional) kinda place.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My other threads were deleted and posts removed because everything I type is completely true and relevant.

Hopefully you wake up on the right side of the bed today, because you were on quite a tear yesterday.

The Mom

Premium Member
On WDWMagic, if we pointed out all the spelling and punctuation errors, there would be no time for anything else.
We don't need to go down that path.

Exactly. I've learned to cringe, and move on. Plus, everyone knows that spelling/grammar flames are lame, and anyone criticizing (or criticising, depending upon your nationality) posts will have a mistake in his/her own post. ;)

Let's keep on topic, please, and stop sniping at each other. Thank you.

EPCOTPluto

Well, maybe they should change the name to Discoveryland. More sensible than Tomorrowland.

(Tomorrowland Version 3.0 Please????) :lookaroun

kingslyZISSOU

OK Men, put your guns back in your holsters.
Agree totally on Tomorrowland. Not the future slant it should have, not even close.
As far as Future World at Epcot. That was a stupid name to begin with. Recently somebody, might have been Figment, claimed the name should be changed and people got all upset. But it's true.
Tomorrowland is an iconic name and the area needs to be molded to fit the name.
Future World has been a ridiculous name from the start.
Somebody explain to me how this area is based on the future? Dump that stupid name.

Space Ship Earth
Horizons
The Land
The Living Seas
Comunicore
The World of Motion

All Pretty futuristic at the time. Or at least the ending left you looking forward.

Figment632

Space Ship Earth
Horizons
The Land
The Living Seas
Comunicore
The World of Motion

All Pretty futuristic at the time. Or at least the ending left you looking forward.

Yea It was me who suggested it but even then if you look at all the rides they were more about how we got to where we are today. Except for Horizons that is.

If you look at FW today it is a complete joke.

Nemofied TLS: Need I say more
Imagination: Need I say more
Teast Track: Nothing at all futuristic
SSE: More about the past and not about communication.
UOE: 20 to 30 years behind the times
M:S Doesnt count because it replaced Horizons.

Fun2BFree

It's a land of loosely-themed attractions, just like the other MK lands. In Frontierland, Monument Valley-esque buttes are next to a Deep South briar patch. In Adventureland, colonial jungle is side by side with an arabian bazaar, a south-seas treehouse and Caribbean Plaza. Heck, there's even a medieval castle at the end of 1900s-themed Main Street.

Tomorrowland is about sci-fi, whether set in the future, in the present or even a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. The Tomorrowland Metro-Retro Society was an attempt to tie in Dreamflight and CoP, which didn't fit New Tomorrowland, but was still a weak excuse. Attractions dwelling in the past or even the 90s (laserdiscs ho!) fit the theme even less than aliens (SGE and Buzz) or interdimensional gateways (MLF).

lumpydj

I think Treasure Planet would be awesome in TL. Everyone seems to forget about that movie, but it's one of my favorites. Love the soundtrack too. DL did something cool with the area that was originally for COP. They turned it into a futuristic home. You were able to play with the technology and walk around like you were in someone's home.

The ideas are there, they just need to spend some $$ to do them. IMO, I think Buzz is OK in TL - because we don't fly spaceships now shooting at things. That's the "Tomorrow" part. To me, Monsters is just an alternative way of looking at life today - not a TL fit. Stitch - as much as I don't like the attraction, there could be arguments for and against the reason it does or does not belong in TL.

I also feel that TL is a bit old and empty. We don't spend much time there - maybe we go on 3 rides, SM, COP, & BLSRS.

Kingdom WDW

I disagree that TL is just like Six Flags or any of those other parks.

Going to Disney Parks makes you feel like you're in another world altogether. When I'm walking down Main Street in Disneyland, I'm not in the middle of Southern California- I'm in 19th century America. When I'm walking on the boardwalk by Frontierland, I'm not in the middle of a Central Florida swamp- I'm in the wild frontier. When I'm walking to the top of Crush 'n' Gusher, I feel like I'm on an old fruit plantation.

Tomorrowland is no different. When I'm in Six Flags, there's nothing to keep me from thinking I'm in Central Jersey. Sightlines that Disney tries so desperately to keep are broken in Great Adventure. When I'm in Tomorrowland, the futuristic music, metallic palm trees, the futuristic transportation, and everything else makes me feel that I'm in a completely different world.

Having said that, comparing Tomorrowland to Six Flags is like comparing the San Diego Zoo to the Central Park Zoo, not only in terms of scope and scale, but it's ability to engulf you in your surroundings and transport you to another place. (In my opinion, of course.)

Tom Morrow

I miss when TTA announced every attraction in Tomorrowland as something that made it part of a working city of the future. Alien Encounter took place in the "Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center" and Timekeeper took place in the "Metropolis Science Center." With SGE and MLF, they never attempted to tie them in in this way, or update the TTA to announce them. Same with Buzz, although a different voice was thrown in to announce it.

Ha ha for talking about Great America. I was actually going to bring up Orleans Place, but looks like I don't have to. :ROFLOL:
I grew up with Six Flags Great America as my local park too. Its sad, the place used to have a very cohesive theme throughout the park. It opened in 1976 (but was not a Six Flags park) and the entire park had a patriotic theme divided into sections that represented different areas of Americana. Even when the added Southwest Territory around 1996 (which originally had impressive theming for Six Flags), the themes were still pretty strong.

They have now completely destroyed the theming by crowding every single midway with as many games and vendors as they possibly can, and removing past attractions and either not even replacing them, or replacing them with sub-par roller coasters with zero attempt to fit with the theming for the sake of a marketing tie-in.

And this is considered one of the better Six Flags parks! This mentality is a big reason that caused them to bite the bullet. The parks are so far gone that I'm not sure how they could recover while being in massive debt.

Mrs.Toad

I'm glad this thread was started. I never got around to my Tomorrowland Sympathy thread because I didn't want to get riled. I am going to Disney in 10 days so there's not much to complain about.:ROFLOL:

However, I'm curious when I visit Tomorrowland mid-July and I will come back with reports. The following months is the test. How is the Land faring with TTA and SM both closed?

Future World in Epcot needs to be cutting edge. I love Epcot. I love MS, UOE, etc. I just wish they would just make additions and leave the classics as they were. No such luck with Imagination, Seas, etc. Horizons & World of Motion should have been left as classics with more modern additions to show a comparison so they weren't so aged.

As far as Tomorrowland...it needs:

A. a table service restaurant

B. to run anything Stitch out

C. more developed attractions

However, I don't think it needs to compete with Future World. MK is fantasy and nostalgia.. to me anyway...and I can live with it being the world of tomorrow that people envisioned years ago like in say the 50's. It's the same feeling when you see the monster/alien movies in the sci-fi dine in. I don't expect clips of Terminator and Transformers, it is nostalgic and it works.

Even still it needs help to even make a kitschy future LAND possible. COP is fine. Walt put his stamp on it and it fits. It's a look at the future from the past. The architecture is fine in Tomorrowland. Buzz is fine. Actually the raceway is fine too. The land just needs cohesive additions without messing with the few classics in that particular land.

BTW Stitch's escape is not a classic. It is a mistake that needs to go. And of course, SM & TTA are the clear assets there.

Monsterfan99

They have now completely destroyed the theming by crowding every single midway with as many games and vendors as they possibly can, and removing past attractions and either not even replacing them, or replacing them with sub-par roller coasters with zero attempt to fit with the theming for the sake of a marketing tie-in.

And this is considered one of the better Six Flags parks! This mentality is a big reason that caused them to bite the bullet. The parks are so far gone that I'm not sure how they could recover while being in massive debt.
The park is doing quite well and the company is on the right track to make it. Most of the debt should be gone and they will live on our own. It is just not so much a theme park as much as an amusement park with tons of ads (last count over 150.)

But with Tomorrowland, I'm excited to see the Tomorrowland Speedway, Buzz Lightyear and others. Just hoping for a soft opening on TTA a few days before the official opening.

Tom Morrow

As far as Tomorrowland...it needs:

B. to run anything Stitch out.
I disagree, and I don't understand this board's hate for Stitch, the character. For a while, he was overused, but not anymore, really. He is a great character and I am completely fine with him having one attraction.

The problem isn't him, its the attraction itself. It was executed poorly, and not nearly enough stuff happens during the show. The only visual thing to focus on besides the screens and Stitch himself are the two cannons, and half the time only one of them is working. With some script and pacing changes, a few more effects, and some tweaking, the attraction could be improved greatly.

worldfanatic

Space Ship Earth
Horizons
The Land
The Living Seas
Comunicore
The World of Motion

It's true that most Disney attractions tend to leave you with a positive forward outlook. I love that about Disney.
Horizons and Comunicore certainly had a future theme.
But The Land, Living Seas, World of Motion......I don't know...... doesn't feel "future" to me. And Spaceship Earth, while it looks futuristic, is actually a history lesson.
Other arriving attractions also didn't have a "Future World" theme. Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, Journey into Imagination.

It's not a big deal. Future World is Future World. I just think a better name could have been used, I'm just not clever enough to think of one myself.:hammer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom