Tom Sawyer Island's Current Condition

SnarkyMonkey

I can see them closing Aunt Polly's (although I wish they didn't) if there just wasn't enough customers over there. But I wonder if the real reason was because it would be a pain to stock. Unless there is some sort of tunnel that gets you there, wouldn't they have to use boat to get supplies there? And they likely wouldn't want to restock when guests are in the park?

Bocabear

In this day and age Disney seems all about scheduling and get up and go go go... there is no more time for having a snack and relaxing on Tom Sawyers Island...you have a fast pass for Dumbo in 6 minutes....HURRY!!!!...
Such a shame that crazy planning and reserving spots has replaced a day of exploring in the parks...

Oriolesmagic

I can see them closing Aunt Polly's (although I wish they didn't) if there just wasn't enough customers over there. But I wonder if the real reason was because it would be a pain to stock. Unless there is some sort of tunnel that gets you there, wouldn't they have to use boat to get supplies there? And they likely wouldn't want to restock when guests are in the park?

If I remember correctly, that's what the main issue was. Getting all of the supplies and employees over to Aunt Polly's each day required a raft ride and all of the hassle that goes with getting everything on and off the rafts.

It was a hassle and it wasn't worth the money that it was bringing in, unfortunately. Wish there was something over there other than just a vending machine though.

I'd like to see a lemonade stand, that wouldn't require too much trouble. Just a stand selling REALLY good lemonade.

Oriolesmagic

i don't the utilidoors open up onto TSI?

Doesn't appear so.

disney-world-magic-kingdom-tunnel-map.jpg

AZmommy9508

Interesting. We were there in December 2013, the caves were closed which was disappointing because I remember playing in them as a child and wanted to show them to my son. Hope they will remain open for when we go in October 2015.

JustInTime

I was at the Magic Kingdom a couple of days ago and while I was there I paid a lengthy visit to Tom Sawyer Island. While exploring the island, I noticed a couple of new things about the current state of this attraction. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.
  • The main Tom Sawyer Island sign has been repainted.
  • The Becky Thatcher, Huck Finn, and Tom Sawyer signs on the rafts have all been recently replaced or repainted.
  • All of the signs found around the island have been given a fresh new coat of paint. Previously, some of them had been almost unreadable.
  • The broken guns in the Rifle Roost that did not make sounds effects are now fixed. However, a few guns are still missing.
  • The side of Fort Langhorn that faces Big Thunder Mountain, including the porch on the path that sits over the water, looks like it has been refurbished recently.
  • The chickens in Fort Langhorn were not moving their heads and the horses were not twitching their tails.
  • Less trash was found around the walkways and paths than I have seen in recent years.
  • The Escape Tunnel, Injun Joe's Cave, and Old Scratch's Mystery Mine were all open and in great condition; all of the visual and sound effects were working.
  • All of the sounds effects from the animatronics and static figures on the island are working.
  • Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn is still closed, obviously. It is still a great place to relax.
  • The water wheel at Harper's Mill is still working.
  • The Barrel Bridge is still open.
  • Potter's Mill (the big windmill) is under refurbishment right now, so I couldn't go through it. However, the windmill is still operating during this refurbishment and it has received a nice new coat of paint.
I'm not sure how many folks on here still visit Tom Sawyer Island, but I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Personally, I am very happy to see that the island is being maintained fairly well, despite how generally ignored this attraction is. The island is looking much better now than it was during my visit to it last January. Potter's Mill currently being under refurbishment shows that they are still updating and refurbishing the island, so more improvements may still be coming. It's not perfect, but this attraction is doing better than many others at the Magic Kingdom.

Tom Sawyer Island is one of my favorite attractions at the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately, I think it is severely underrated. It's one of the best places to relax during the busy afternoons at the Magic Kingdom and it's great fun to explore, no matter what age you are. :)

I don't remember there being any animatronics. Where are they? Pics?

erstwo

Not to mention hauling all the food trash off of the island.

Voice of Disney sanity

Quite honestly I quit going there when they shut down aunt Polly's. it used to be my favorite chill out spot when it was open and one of my favorite nostalgia locations but now it just makes me sad when I see it closed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They used to have a great little QS there called Aunt Polly's serving snacks and drinks, but it was closed and replaced by a vending machine.

I really hope they don't replace it with a roller coaster - I'd rather 45 minutes of exploring and adventure than 45 minutes line followed by a 5 minute ride, and I hope most guests would think the same.

And now even the vending machine is gone, Unplugged and turned around - not even enough regard for good show to remove it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom