Tom Sawyer Island's Current Condition

doctornick

Two things. One, you wouldn't be able to build a bridge over the River without closing the Steamboat attraction. Which brings me to the second thing, it's attractions like Tom Sawyer's Island, Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse, The Riverboat, WDW Railroad, etc. that make Disney...well, Disney. It's immersion.

Disney has room to expand with more attractions, they don't have a lot of additional immersion to give away without losing some of the magic.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see TSI go away. WDW has plenty of land -- no reason to replace a great, relaxing different experience like TSI (and the Riverboat).

That said, I'd love to see them use some of the land on the north side of the Rivers of America. They should be able to build an attraction above BTMRR and/or HM if there was a will. There's a lot of undeveloped land that could be used for more attractions. Wouldn't it be great to see the Western River Exploration come alive, at least in some form? Or maybe a Headless Horseman/Sleepy Hollow attraction in Liberty Square?

Last edited:

Mike S

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see TSI go away. WDW has plenty of land -- no reason to replace a great, relaxing different experience like TSI (and the Riverboat).

That said, I'd love to see them use some of the land on the north side of the Rivers of America. They should be able to build an attraction above BTMRR and/or HM if there was a will. There's a lot of undeveloped land that could be used for more attractions. Wouldn't it be great to see the Western River Exploration come alive, at least in some form? Or maybe a Headless Horseman/Sleeping Hallow attraction in Liberty Square?
Sleepy Hollow expansion. Heck yes.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Paintbrushes?

They used to hide white paintbrushes around the island in the morning for kids to find. If you found one, you would get a 'prize' for your family. Someone else can recall better what the original prizes were, but later years (when we had a kid) it was Fastpasses for all the members of your party to either Big Thunder or Splash. Then blogs came along and suddenly everyone knew about them and were fighting to get on the first boat and pushing and shoving to find them first. This is why we can't have nice things.

BrerJon

I agree eight those who say that putting a major attraction there would be awful. I think they should stick with the theming as is. Now, they could build on it a bit with a few other very minor hands on distractions. I'm thinking things like driving your own boats a la Jungle Cruise. And I think having a snack bar or small QS would be great. Then you could plan a quiet lunch or snack and hang out there awhile.

They used to have a great little QS there called Aunt Polly's serving snacks and drinks, but it was closed and replaced by a vending machine.

I really hope they don't replace it with a roller coaster - I'd rather 45 minutes of exploring and adventure than 45 minutes line followed by a 5 minute ride, and I hope most guests would think the same.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've never been a big fan of Tom Sawyer Island.

When an entire post consists of "this is still working," I believe it should be replaced.

But.. I know there's all of the nostalgia and the "quiet getaway" and such and a lot of people actually like the island.. And it's not in the way of anything. So I'm just really neutral about the whole thing. To me, it looks neat as scenery from a faraway distance in Frontierland.

The Duck

That said, I'd love to see them use some of the land on the north side of the Rivers of America. They should be able to build an attraction above BTMRR and/or HM if there was a will. There's a lot of undeveloped land that could be used for more attractions. Wouldn't it be great to see the Western River Exploration come alive, at least in some form? Or maybe a Headless Horseman/Sleepy Hollow attraction in Liberty Square?
I would love to see that area developed someday. If it ever does happen, another train station would be inevitable to help keep the crowds circulating.
Probably not in my lifetime, though.

Rose&Crowner

They used to hide white paintbrushes around the island in the morning for kids to find. If you found one, you would get a 'prize' for your family. Someone else can recall better what the original prizes were, but later years (when we had a kid) it was Fastpasses for all the members of your party to either Big Thunder or Splash. Then blogs came along and suddenly everyone knew about them and were fighting to get on the first boat and pushing and shoving to find them first. This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh I know what they are and how they were used, I wanted t see if they're being hidden again...

doctornick

Sleepy Hollow expansion. Heck yes.

In my ideal world....

Put a Sleepy Hollow ride behind (north of) HM with a pathway along the river to get to it -- would likely involve some filling in along the rivers edge and/or redirecting the HM queue. Maybe along the west side of the HM show building you put in a counter service that is kinda "spooky" in theme so there is something along the path to the Sleepy Hollow ride.

At the same time, you do the faux imagineer idea of removing IASW and relocating it to Epcot's WS. With the massive space opening up in FL, you help the bottleneck between PPF and IASW. In that open space you put a new section of FL north of IASW -- it would make a lot of sense to put in a Tangled ride (or at least M&G) next to the bathrooms near the HM building. Or you could put a Pinocchio ride next to the Village Haus. And to the north you can actually put in a proper home for a Frozen ride. Or, honestly, that would be a great location for a version of the Matterhorn since the mountain would be a nice weenie on the northern edge of the park.

And, of course, you build these two areas simultaneously so you can great a pathway between Sleepy Hollow and the the new FL area, offering an alternative route to move around.

You could even put a new train station along the tracks north of HM/FL to improve crowd movement. Or make the train pass through an attraction (a la Splash Mtn) in that area. Or at least put in a diorama on the train tracks there (it's just screaming for a Grand Canyon motif).

hpyhnt 1000

I've never been a big fan of Tom Sawyer Island.

When an entire post consists of "this is still working," I believe it should be replaced.

But.. I know there's all of the nostalgia and the "quiet getaway" and such and a lot of people actually like the island.. And it's not in the way of anything. So I'm just really neutral about the whole thing. To me, it looks neat as scenery from a faraway distance in Frontierland.

That's more indicative of how far show and maintenance standards have slipped at WDW - people are surprised when something is working.

redjebvt

Never visited TSI until we visited with our small kids. Now, on our recent visit a few weeks ago, we went over to the island each day to eat lunch and let the kids run around (mind you, lunch we carried over; would love to see Aunt Polly's up and running again), and it's one of our favorite spots. Most things on the island were in great shape, and we feel that it's one of the hidden "gems" of the MK, especially on the insanely busy holiday days (TSI was still fairly empty). One of my favorite spots is in the little covered deck on the island across from BTMRR; if you catch it just right, the kinetics of the area are incredible with BTMRR, the Liberty Belle, Splash Mountain, and the TSI rafts all moving within your field of view.

PhilharMagician

Never visited TSI until we visited with our small kids. Now, on our recent visit a few weeks ago, we went over to the island each day to eat lunch and let the kids run around (mind you, lunch we carried over; would love to see Aunt Polly's up and running again), and it's one of our favorite spots. Most things on the island were in great shape, and we feel that it's one of the hidden "gems" of the MK, especially on the insanely busy holiday days (TSI was still fairly empty). One of my favorite spots is in the little covered deck on the island across from BTMRR; if you catch it just right, the kinetics of the area are incredible with BTMRR, the Liberty Belle, Splash Mountain, and the TSI rafts all moving within your field of view.

and sitting there playing a game of checkers with you child while relaxing the weary feet after all the walking.

TB4244

Didn't Aunt Pollys serve Lemonade? I have memories of buying some from there back in the early 90s. It does seem to be a wasted opportunity for a QS counter, but I guess they took it out for a reason?

erasure fan1

Its been close to 20yrs since I have been to TSI. Part of me would like them to do something else with it but I also agree with the immersion argument as well. I think they could find a way to add some things/small attractions to the island and still keep the charm.

PhilharMagician

Didn't Aunt Pollys serve Lemonade? I have memories of buying some from there back in the early 90s. It does seem to be a wasted opportunity for a QS counter, but I guess they took it out for a reason?

This is from 06'. I remember before that you could get PB & J sandwiches, pickles and hot pretzals a one point.

Snack Menu
(Last Update: 6th October 2006)
pixel.gif

Side Dish
Assorted Chips
$2.39
pixel.gif

Desserts
Apple Pie Sundae
- Apple pie topped with vanilla soft serve and caramel sauce $3.99
Fudge Brownie Sundae - Fudge brownie topped with chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve and chocolate sauce $3.89
Strawberry Shortcake Sundae - Shortcake topped with vanilla soft serve and strawberry topping $3.59
Soft Serve Ice Cream - Chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve, served in a cone or cup $2.89
pixel.gif

Drinks
Ice Cream Float
- Chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve, served with Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, or Barq's root beer $3.19
Dasani Bottled Water
Small $1.25
Large $2.00
Minute Maid Apple or Orange Juice $2.39
Selection of Soft Drinks - Coca-cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's Root Beer, Nestea, or Minute Maid Lemonade
Small $2.09
Large $2.39
Selection of Hot Beverages - Nestle hot cocoa, Hot tea, or Nescafe coffee $1.69

hpyhnt 1000

This is from 06'. I remember before that you could get PB & J sandwiches, pickles and hot pretzals a one point.

Snack Menu
(Last Update: 6th October 2006)
pixel.gif

Side Dish
Assorted Chips
$2.39
pixel.gif

Desserts
Apple Pie Sundae
- Apple pie topped with vanilla soft serve and caramel sauce $3.99
Fudge Brownie Sundae - Fudge brownie topped with chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve and chocolate sauce $3.89
Strawberry Shortcake Sundae - Shortcake topped with vanilla soft serve and strawberry topping $3.59
Soft Serve Ice Cream - Chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve, served in a cone or cup $2.89
pixel.gif

Drinks
Ice Cream Float
- Chocolate, vanilla or swirl soft serve, served with Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, or Barq's root beer $3.19
Dasani Bottled Water
Small $1.25
Large $2.00
Minute Maid Apple or Orange Juice $2.39
Selection of Soft Drinks - Coca-cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's Root Beer, Nestea, or Minute Maid Lemonade
Small $2.09
Large $2.39
Selection of Hot Beverages - Nestle hot cocoa, Hot tea, or Nescafe coffee $1.69

Every trip we would stop by and grab a root beer float and relax on the rocking chairs. And we weren't the only ones; I always remember the place doing decent business.

Unfortunately, in today's Disney of profit margins and revenue targets, I suspect Aunt Polly's can't pull in sufficient numbers. Therefore it must be shuttered and left to rot.

PhilharMagician

Every trip we would stop by and grab a root beer float and relax on the rocking chairs. And we weren't the only ones; I always remember the place doing decent business.

Unfortunately, in today's Disney of profit margins and revenue targets, I suspect Aunt Polly's can't pull in sufficient numbers. Therefore it must be shuttered and left to rot.

Yeah, the deck is not that large to be able to seat many people it just wasn't that busy. I also liked the location to get a treat and relax which is something that is truly hard to do in WDW. The closest I have come to it is grabbing and Ice cream cookie sandwich at Safari Ice Cream in AK an finding a bench in the Discovery Island trails to relax.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom