Tom Sawyer Island's Current Condition

Kman101

Sometimes things don't need to be "more". I understand where GhostHost is coming from but theme parks need these little attractions to feel fleshed out. Not everything needs to be a coaster or a thrill ride.

Glad to see TSI getting some love and that it's in good shape. Nice to know it's not rotting away. I never seem to make it over there though ... lol

flyerjab

This area to me is one reason why MK is such a great park as there is so much diversity to it. TSI is so reminiscent of a different time and the attractions on the island are so unique. We went there on one of our trips and went through every single thematic element, ending with a trip across the barrel bridge. It is so neat to me that amidst the madness that is MK at times, there is a spot like this where you truly can seem to escape it all for a bit…while relieving your stress by taking shots at people on BTMR. :geek:

It would be so nice if they opened the quick service location on that island. That would add so much to it.

Mike S

This area to me is one reason why MK is such a great park as there is so much diversity to it. TSI is so reminiscent of a different time and the attractions on the island are so unique. We went there on one of our trips and went through every single thematic element, ending with a trip across the barrel bridge. It is so neat to me that amidst the madness that is MK at times, there is a spot like this where you truly can seem to escape it all for a bit…while relieving your stress by taking shots at people on BTMR. :geek:

It would be so nice if they opened the quick service location on that island. That would add so much to it.
Definitely. I went to TSI once during a trip last year and thoroughly enjoyed taking shots at BTM.

"Smile you son of a... " *boom* ;)

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Sometimes things don't need to be "more". I understand where GhostHost is coming from but theme parks need these little attractions to feel fleshed out. Not everything needs to be a coaster or a thrill ride.

Glad to see TSI getting some love and that it's in good shape. Nice to know it's not rotting away. I never seem to make it over there though ... lol

I agree with what you are saying. One could argue Swiss family treehouse could be more too but these smaller attractions are nice....just in prime areas of land where attractions of more popularity could go. With that being said I do like them and do both with my daughter often

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We love TSI and I'm really glad to hear it has gotten some love recently. When my daughter was younger, she found a paintbrush a couple of times and we have sat on the docks and played checkers quite a few times.

Oriolesmagic

Yeah I see what you're saying but they could build a bridge or even make the queue on the land and the ride goes over the waterway etc.

I like TSI don't get me wrong...just think that area could be more

Two things. One, you wouldn't be able to build a bridge over the River without closing the Steamboat attraction. Which brings me to the second thing, it's attractions like Tom Sawyer's Island, Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse, The Riverboat, WDW Railroad, etc. that make Disney...well, Disney. It's immersion.

Disney has room to expand with more attractions, they don't have a lot of additional immersion to give away without losing some of the magic.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Two things. One, you wouldn't be able to build a bridge over the River without closing the Steamboat attraction. Which brings me to the second thing, it's attractions like Tom Sawyer's Island, Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse, The Riverboat, WDW Railroad, etc. that make Disney...well, Disney. It's immersion.

Disney has room to expand with more attractions, they don't have a lot of additional immersion to give away without losing some of the magic.

I agree with you

Also I had completely forgot about the riverboat - must be losing it from the hat removal partying lol

PhilharMagician

Great to hear good info on TSI. I love heading over there when the crowds start to get a little to much to handle since it is such a great place to get away.

I am shocked that the tunnels have not been closed. I can see the oversized guests of today trying to exit through the Fort escape tunnel and getting wedged in there then full blown panic ensues followed by lawsuit. It is snug in there.

SnarkyMonkey

I agree eight those who say that putting a major attraction there would be awful. I think they should stick with the theming as is. Now, they could build on it a bit with a few other very minor hands on distractions. I'm thinking things like driving your own boats a la Jungle Cruise. And I think having a snack bar or small QS would be great. Then you could plan a quiet lunch or snack and hang out there awhile.

mergatroid

Have never taken Mrs Merg there and we've been married 11 years and done the MK countless times. Always plan on taking her but never get round to it for one reason or another, this year I will though.

I also agree they should have somewhere to eat on there, even if only for two or tree hours over lunch. If they planned and marketed it well enough they could even make money holding some type of Huck Finn Barbecue show there. Nothing too elaborate necessary, a shaded are with some seats, an eat all you can barbecue (or set portions) and maybe somebody playing some banjo music or telling 'yarns' whilst you eat or even perhaps a singalong? With it being an ideal setting away from the hustle and bustle of the MK I'm sure this would prove popular for a lunch option, but then again it's just an idea I'm throwing out there.

bhg469

Have never taken Mrs Merg there and we've been married 11 years and done the MK countless times. Always plan on taking her but never get round to it for one reason or another, this year I will though.

I also agree they should have somewhere to eat on there, even if only for two or tree hours over lunch. If they planned and marketed it well enough they could even make money holding some type of Huck Finn Barbecue show there. Nothing too elaborate necessary, a shaded are with some seats, an eat all you can barbecue (or set portions) and maybe somebody playing some banjo music or telling 'yarns' whilst you eat or even perhaps a singalong? With it being an ideal setting away from the hustle and bustle of the MK I'm sure this would prove popular for a lunch option, but then again it's just an idea I'm throwing out there.
Even a drink spot where you could get a mint julep or a sweet tea... some sort of unique items that don't require too much preparation. Could you imagine a cold iced tea on one of those rocking chairs? That could remove a little gloom out of my signature!

halltd

I can't remember ever going to TSI as a kid even though my mom says I used to love it. Thankfully my nephew loves to go out there, so I went for the first time a couple of years ago (and several times since then). I love it! It's such a nice break from the usual hectic rush, rush, rush of the MK. There are TREES, and shade, and animal life. Picnic tables in the woods, rocking chairs at the old restaurant overlooking the busy part of Liberty Square, etc... I make sure to get out there each visit now because it's like stepping back in time. I really hope spots like this stick around.

mergatroid

Even a drink spot where you could get a mint julep or a sweet tea... some sort of unique items that don't require too much preparation. Could you imagine a cold iced tea on one of those rocking chairs? That could remove a little gloom out of my signature!

Agreed. Let's be honest the prices Disney charge for drinks and the wage they pay the staff, they wouldn't even have to sell that many to make a profit would they?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom