Tom Sawyer Island's Current Condition

FlaMel

So, as a question, would it enhance or detract from the TSI experience if the island was also accessable by foot traffic via a "cave" (tunnel) from somewhere in Frontierland? Would it make Aunt Polly's more viable? Your thoughts please.

Castle Cake Apologist

It's been that way for months - I was there in august and december and it was turned around and facing the wall both times.

Geez. I haven't made it over to TSI in awhile... it sorta becomes one of those things you take for granted when you visit frequently... that's absolutely ridiculous. The replacement of Polly's with vending machines was bad enough... but to just turn the thing off and face it towards the now-defunct counter service windows? What reason could there possibly be for that??

Oriolesmagic

So, as a question, would it enhance or detract from the TSI experience if the island was also accessable by foot traffic via a "cave" (tunnel) from somewhere in Frontierland? Would it make Aunt Polly's more viable? Your thoughts please.

I mean, it's not possible without closing the steamboat, but it would certainly make Aunt Polly's more viable. The whole island would have SIGNIFICANTLY more foot traffic if you didn't have to take a raft to get to it. But the raft is also part of the charm, certainly.

Rasvar

I haven't been to TSI since Aunt Polly's closed. There was always something about going over there to sit and enjoy an overpriced PB&J with chips and a Coke that appealed to the inner kid in me. I understand the difficulty of serving food at the location but it was a little thing that really appealed to me. Just like when they used to have snacks and sodas for sale on the riverboat. Those were the little things that would make me more likely to use an attraction. I always thought Aunt Polly's would be a good place for a little banjo group too.

007mickey

I am shocked that the tunnels have not been closed. I can see the oversized guests of today trying to exit through the Fort escape tunnel and getting wedged in there then full blown panic ensues followed by lawsuit. It is snug in there.

Maybe I'm losing it but I thought I remember hearing about a year or two ago that they closed down the escape tunnel from Ft. Langhorn. Did I imagine this or is it back open?

raymusiccity

I can't believe anyone hasn't been, it's by far the best place in MK in my view - I never miss a trip over to explore the caves! I'll take TSI over a Dwarf coaster any day!

Agree wholeheartedly ! Looking forward to exploring the cave with my 3 grandsons the end of this month.

They're 6, 4 & 2 yrs old......I think they'll love it :)

SnarkyMonkey

And now even the vending machine is gone, Unplugged and turned around - not even enough regard for good show to remove it.

That is super sad and quite unDisney like.

I think it would detract from it...just like being able to walk to Rafiki's Planet Watch would, in my opinion. I think it's nice to have a place that you can be guaranteed will be less busy in each of the parks. If you put a tunnel, it would drive more traffic there and it would be horrible. It doesn't really work of you just follow a line of people through the island. Kind of like how the Swiss Family Treehouse doesn't feel right when this happens there.

sbryant24

The last time I was on Tom Sawyer Island...... how many years has it been? We got to ride the canoes around the river(s) and the cabin was still burning. Been to Disney many times since then, but that's the last time that I can recall actually going to the island.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The last time I was on Tom Sawyer Island...... how many years has it been? We got to ride the canoes around the river(s) and the cabin was still burning. Been to Disney many times since then, but that's the last time that I can recall actually going to the island.

Oh my goodness: I can't believe I completely forgot that they used to also have canoes there! (i just did a quick online search and found that they stopped using the canoes in WDW back in 1994.) I don't think I ever actually rode on the canoes years ago; I believe I've only gone to the island on the rafts. But, I do remember them, now that you mentioned this. :)

HM GhostHostess

Original Poster
And now even the vending machine is gone, Unplugged and turned around - not even enough regard for good show to remove it.

During my trip the other week, the vending machines weren't turned around facing the wall anymore. They were facing the correct way, but I did not check to see if they were plugged in or working. They probably weren't, but I guess it's a tiny bit better that they aren't facing the wall anymore.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Geez. I haven't made it over to TSI in awhile... it sorta becomes one of those things you take for granted when you visit frequently... that's absolutely ridiculous. The replacement of Polly's with vending machines was bad enough... but to just turn the thing off and face it towards the now-defunct counter service windows? What reason could there possibly be for that??

I assume so guests don't put money in a powered down vending machine.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
During my trip the other week, the vending machines weren't turned around facing the wall anymore. They were facing the correct way, but I did not check to see if they were plugged in or working. They probably weren't, but I guess it's a tiny bit better that they aren't facing the wall anymore.

Good to hear, Things like this just make you shake your head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom