Tom Cruise at the Magic Kingdom

alissafalco

You can't really put the genie back in the bottle after you've reached a certain level, though, and Tom Cruise has reached that level.

Sully was just my demonstration that not all famous people seek it.

I know you said you're out, but I just can't really get over the fact that someone would say squander your talent by hiding it because displaying it will bring you great wealth and attention, that's the kind of thing we should fight against, because we need all the talent of all kinds we can get.

I'm not saying to squander anything, this is the life he is choosing to live.

lebeau

I think that anyone of some notoriety should be able handle themselves and mingle in a public place, especially one as safe and well tended as Disney.

If they feel they cannot get the same enjoyment from a place that we save for years and pay large sums to have the privilege to enjoy then theirs is a surreal world that line jumping will not fix.

As far as mob scenes go the parades and shows create more than any single celebrity could.

If he artificially streaked his hair gray nobody would take any pictures.

Have celebrities wear character costumes !?!?

The problem isn't the celebrity. It's everyone else. Maybe everyone else will be cool. The problem is, there is no way to know. Maybe someone will get hurt. Then, Disney's on the hook legally. It's just not worth the chance.

If a celeb like Cruise tried to disguise himself with gray streaks in his hair at Disney World, he would just wind up on tabloid covers instead of Disney forums.

Stop making me defend Tom Cruise, people!!!

alissafalco

The problem isn't the celebrity. It's everyone else. Maybe everyone else will be cool. The problem is, there is no way to know. Maybe someone will get hurt. Then, Disney's on the hook legally. It's just not worth the chance.

If a celeb like Cruise tried to disguise himself with gray streaks in his hair at Disney World, he would just wind up on tabloid covers instead of Disney forums.

Stop making me defend Tom Cruise, people!!!

Your Avatar and Beware Corn on the bottom have me laughing hysterical! Where's Patricia??she must be onto the next thread...

Nemo14

The corn is not to be trifled with! ;)

Candy-Corn-Trifle.jpg

ExtinctJenn

Exactly! Disney is the one deciding to treat them "special" in order to protect their guests from the possibility of a bad situation developing.

gccgrad1996

On any given day you can see a celebrity every 10 feet in NYC. It's not a rare occurance so people tend not to take notice.
Your probably right. All I know is that I go into the city a lot and she is the first I have noticed. Yet again, we were right next to her in doors, and who knows how many I have stood next to on the street and never noticed.

JohnLocke

I'm not saying to squander anything, this is the life he is choosing to live.

He chose to be an actor, as another said, just as J K Rowling chose to be an author, and Walt Disney chose to be an animator. None of them set out to give into a cult of celebrity, we the people that watch or read their works set that up.

By saying these people should not do what they feel like they've been called to do, and given that all 3 seem to be pretty successful in their endeavors, that is the very definition of squandering talent. The choices you're holding up is live a normal life and let talent go to waste or take advantage of what you have and probably need extra perks to keep yourself and others safe.

It's not really taking away from anyone's enjoyment of the parks if Tom Cruise takes up one JC boat, which is the only big transgression I've actually read about his visit. That's just a safety/security issue. Everything else seems to be fairly in line with what a normal Disney vacation would entail.

alissafalco

He chose to be an actor, as another said, just as J K Rowling chose to be an author, and Walt Disney chose to be an animator. None of them set out to give into a cult of celebrity, we the people that watch or read their works set that up.

By saying these people should not do what they feel like they've been called to do, and given that all 3 seem to be pretty successful in their endeavors, that is the very definition of squandering talent. The choices you're holding up is live a normal life and let talent go to waste or take advantage of what you have and probably need extra perks to keep yourself and others safe.

It's not really taking away from anyone's enjoyment of the parks if Tom Cruise takes up one JC boat, which is the only big transgression I've actually read about his visit. That's just a safety/security issue. Everything else seems to be fairly in line with what a normal Disney vacation would entail.

Here we go again... He's pursuing a life of fame and fortune. Going on TV shows,promoting himself and his films constantly for money and then he should expect to not be famous???? Um ok

FettFan

Sure they could tell everyone over and over again that they aren't the person they think they are but I think in this case, that'd be difficult. A Tom Cruise look-a-like? Sure... but one who also happens to be walking the park hand in hand with a Suri look-a-like? Doubtful.

That actually happened to my girlfriend's mother....who happens to bear a distinct resemblance to Susan Lucci.

The wait staff at California Grill actually treated her to a free dessert because other diners kept approaching and asking for pictures thinking she was the real Lucci.

ddbowdoin

who cares... honestly, he's worth more than every member here put together. I have no idea why anyone would complain if he was allowed to skip lines and enter the VIP entrances of attractions. I got to experience the VIP entrance of the HM, it's cool... but it's not like a super, duper special area. It just makes it easier for everyone.

luv

I do think that if you make your millions by courting public attention that you should have to deal with the bad side of that attention. Instead, people cater to these celebs and ease any burden that comes along with their millions...as if the idea of them having to sacrifice is too heinous to abide.

IMO, if they can't go to WDW without being mobbed (which I seriously doubt would happen), then they can't go. Too bad, so sad.

JohnLocke

Here we go again... He's pursuing a life of fame and fortune. Going on TV shows,promoting himself and his films constantly for money and then he should expect to not be famous???? Um ok

All of what you mentioned are part of the business part of show business, though. Television appearances/promotion are almost always contractual obligations that the parties involved have to complete as part of the contract they sign. If he refused to do them, he wouldn't exactly work for very long in the entertainment industry, which gets back to my other points.

lebeau

I do think that if you make your millions by courting public attention that you should have to deal with the bad side of that attention. Instead, people cater to these celebs and ease any burden that comes along with their millions...as if the idea of them having to sacrifice is too heinous to abide.

IMO, if they can't go to WDW without being mobbed (which I seriously doubt would happen), then they can't go. Too bad, so sad.

A Day at Disney World Turns into a Mission Impossible for Tom and Suri. Disney refused service to the star and his daughter when they tried to spend a day at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, FL. Disney representatives were unavailable for comment. More at 11.

This is why Disney can't do that.

This really isn't about catering to a star, folks. It's about running park operations as smoothly as possible.

I can't understand why some people have a bee in their bonnet over this. It happens all the time to lots of celebrities. It is the only sensible thing to do under these circumstances.

alissafalco

All of what you mentioned are part of the business part of show business, though. Television appearances/promotion are almost always contractual obligations that the parties involved have to complete as part of the contract they sign. If he refused to do them, he wouldn't exactly work for very long in the entertainment industry, which gets back to my other points.

Yes, exactly. Then he shouldn't do it and live a normal life. Instead he chooses to do that for money!! You will not change my mind and I won't change yours. Lets leave it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom