Tom Cruise at the Magic Kingdom

lebeau

Man, I hate that you guys are making me agree with Patty. It's a dark day. But on this, she's right.

I have dealt with celebs before. Logistically, you have to bypass the crowds. If you don't there's too much potential for things to go wrong. At best, the celeb gets mobbed. This not only ruins their trip, it creates crazy bottle necks. And also, the potential for things to go awry.

It may seem unfair, but it's necessary. I have seen stars of lesser magnitude than Cruise get special treatment at places less crowded than Disney World. Asking an international star to walk around the MK in the summer like everyone else would be a nightmare.

Now you've got me defending Tom Cruise. I need to cleanse the palate. Here's a reminder of just how b@tsh!t crazy Cruise is:

Camp

Instead of presuming people are going to bother a celebrity I would have a policy that would deal with any troublesome guests after they were a problem.

I really don't think people are going to waste "Disney Park Time" on nagging a celebrity. I think the potential for a problem rests in the ego.

A little bit of a disguise should be enough to avoid attention. Color the hair and throw on some cheap glasses, big deal. Iffn' ol' Tom Cruise threw in a dash of gray nobody would suspect it was him and he would be totally incognito.

Now you also run into the problem of who "is" and "is not" an A-list celebrity for the special treatment. Have fun sorting that out.

NYwdwfan

Last summer friends were at Splish Splash on Long Island and saw Adam Sandler. I don't know if he has any kids, but he was there with a kid (niece/nephew maybe?). Anyway, he was just walking around like everyone else. And no one was bothering him. Then he sat down on a lounge chair people started noticing him. And going over to him. And then MORE people noticed him. And started mobbing him. And pushing. And next thing you know he was surrounded by security creating his own little area. He tried to be "one of the people" but it didn't work - because people, as crazy as this is, are OBSESSED with celebrity. And this was just at a water park on Long Island. Imagine how the attention would increase exponentially at the Magic Kingdom.

Oh and it's not just the scientology. John Travolta is a scientologist - he even made that dumb movie - and people don't see him as a loon.

njDizFan

Man, I hate that you guys are making me agree with Patty. It's a dark day. But on this, she's right.

I have dealt with celebs before. Logistically, you have to bypass the crowds. If you don't there's too much potential for things to go wrong. At best, the celeb gets mobbed. This not only ruins their trip, it creates crazy bottle necks. And also, the potential for things to go awry.

It may seem unfair, but it's necessary. I have seen stars of lesser magnitude than Cruise get special treatment at places less crowded than Disney World. Asking an international star to walk around the MK in the summer like everyone else would be a nightmare.

Now you've got me defending Tom Cruise. I need to cleanse the palate. Here's a reminder of just how b@tsh!t crazy Cruise is:

I would also have to agree with you lebeau and uhmm someone else. The logistics of having a huge celebrity could possibly interfere with my vacation as well. Instead of giant swarming mobs creating havoc and bottlenecks and gaukers, just let them slide by untouched and leave my vacation in tact.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

I agree too. That hurt.

ExtinctJenn

Instead of presuming people are going to bother a celebrity I would have a policy that would deal with any troublesome guests after they were a problem.
While that's a great idea in theory, the truth is that those who have a tendancy to become star struck often lose their common sense and dealing with them after they were a problem may be too late. In similar situations people have come out injured or worse. Disney is going to do their very best to prevent any problem before it even starts and rightfully so.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Last summer friends were at Splish Splash on Long Island and saw Adam Sandler. I don't know if he has any kids, but he was there with a kid (niece/nephew maybe?). Anyway, he was just walking around like everyone else. And no one was bothering him. Then he sat down on a lounge chair people started noticing him. And going over to him. And then MORE people noticed him. And started mobbing him. And pushing. And next thing you know he was surrounded by security creating his own little area. He tried to be "one of the people" but it didn't work - because people, as crazy as this is, are OBSESSED with celebrity. And this was just at a water park on Long Island. Imagine how the attention would increase exponentially at the Magic Kingdom.

Oh and it's not just the scientology. John Travolta is a scientologist - he even made that dumb movie - and people don't see him as a loon.

They don't? I thought we all agreed he was looney.

Avenger117

I can understand people saying that the celebs should be treated like everyone else, but I just don't see it happening. It would make the lines worse, crowd the open areas and ruin vacation for the celeb and other guests. In Atlanta you can go to a place like Lenox mall and see a lot of celebs and no one really bothers them, but I have also seen some football players in Six Flags that got mobbed. Everywhere they went a big mass of people followed.

Lee

Adventurer
I think he's looney - but it doesn't get the same media attention as Tom Cruise. At least I didn't think so.
He should. He's just as...ummm..looney.
Travolta, though he has been in $cientology longer than TC, isn't quite the zealot that Cruise is.

Actually, it is highly unusual for TC and Suri to be spending much time together, and certainly unheard of for he and Katie to still maintain a relationship. Scientology rules, which don't seem to apply to TC, dictate that he must "disconnect" from a spouse who leaves the church. The child would have to go with one parent or the other.

Animaniac93-98

Agreed, and that avatar Lebeau? It's great!

Patricia Melton

I really don't think people are going to waste "Disney Park Time" on nagging a celebrity. I think the potential for a problem rests in the ego.

A little bit of a disguise should be enough to avoid attention. Color the hair and throw on some cheap glasses, big deal. Iffn' ol' Tom Cruise threw in a dash of gray nobody would suspect it was him and he would be totally incognito.

Now you also run into the problem of who "is" and "is not" an A-list celebrity for the special treatment. Have fun sorting that out.

Well, you're wrong on all this.

Last summer I was visiting my son in Chicago and waiting for him to get out of work. I stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Avenue and across the street was another hotel (a fancy one whose name I don't remember) and Giada De Laurentis from Food Network had come out and was walking just a few feet to where the car for her was waiting. She was MOBBED in under a minute, with people screaming and clawing at her to try to touch her. Traffic on the street stopped as people stared at what was happening and foot traffic ground to a halt as people stood around to gawk.

I hardly think Giada is an "A-List star". If that can happen to her, that quickly, on a Chicago street then I cringe to think what could happen in a theme park with hundreds of people around and a small space like that's in a line. By the time security got to the hubbub, there'd be injuries in that crush of people.

You seem far too ready to discount the fact that people get very excited when seeing a celebrity and their better judgment goes out the window. People see excitement and go running towards it and they may not have bad intentions when something starts but they get caught up in the moment.

For everyone's safety (including yours and your family's) it's best to slip the celebs in and out of rides as quickly as possible.

And it would be a civil rights issue if Disney said to a famous person "You can't come into the park because you'd attract too much attention". They have every right to be in the park just as you or I do -- but unlike you or I their presence in the park does require special security procedures to address the fact that their presence could lead to themselves or others being injured just because of who they are.

lebeau

Those were just people asking for refunds for Jack and Jill. Totally understandable.

lostpro9het

All crazy loons aside, this is the real problem:
251965_3505700477052_1496324274_n-1.jpg

Is suri having a magical time? Heck no. Did she ask to be brought into this environment? Heck no. The blogger wrote:

"I felt pretty guilty about snapping pictures while he was trying to have a special moment with his daughter, but I wasn't the only person doing it, which made me feel better. He probably is used to all the attention anyway. And he didn't seem to mind because he started to wave to some of the people nearby who were trying to say "hello" to him. "

He knew it was wrong but justified it because others were doing it and TC was "probably" used to it :rolleyes:. I was having fun with this thread until I saw this picture and it ate me up inside, still is. People, hate the loons all you want bringing this attention on themselves but remember that the kids of loons are undeserving of the attention.

Patricia Melton

It seems to be that most people who get caught up in the excitement of seeing a famous person want to get some kind of proof that they saw them so they can tell the people back home. These days, that involves getting a picture and putting it on Facebook or wherever. In years past, it was about getting autographs (which I think people still want, but not as much as the pictures now).

I guess people want to have something to show when they tell the story of Tom Cruise being in the park or Adam Sandler being there so that they can avoid someone saying, "You were that close and you didn't meet him?" or "You didn't get a picture of him?" or whatever.

There becomes this pressure for people to go after the celebrity for some kind of souvenir of the sighting so that they can show people back home.

Patricia Melton

All crazy loons aside, this is the real problem:
251965_3505700477052_1496324274_n-1.jpg

Is suri having a magical time? Heck no. Did she ask to be brought into this environment? Heck no. The blogger wrote:

"I felt pretty guilty about snapping pictures while he was trying to have a special moment with his daughter, but I wasn't the only person doing it, which made me feel better. He probably is used to all the attention anyway. And he didn't seem to mind because he started to wave to some of the people nearby who were trying to say "hello" to him. "

He knew it was wrong but justified it because others were doing it and TC was "probably" used to it :rolleyes:. I was having fun with this thread until I saw this picture and it ate me up inside, still is. People, hate the loons all you want bringing this attention on themselves but remember that the kids of loons are undeserving of the attention.

The kids don't understand why people always want to scream out their parents' names or rush up to them. The kids just want to be at Disneyland or WDW with their dad or mom.

Anything that Disney can do to give a little girl like Suri a peaceful and fun day in the parks with her dad is 100% appropriate in my book if it means little Suri doesn't have to miss out on any fun just because other guests won't leave her dad alone long enough for her to have a nice time at WDW.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And it would be a civil rights issue if Disney said to a famous person "You can't come into the park because you'd attract too much attention". They have every right to be in the park just as you or I do -- but unlike you or I their presence in the park does require special security procedures to address the fact that their presence could lead to themselves or others being injured just because of who they are.

And you lost me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom