Tokyo's Beauty & the Beast... Better than Ratatouille?

Giss Neric

Impressive animatronics mean nothing if the attraction is.. Well. Boring. Or empty. Or anticlimactic.

Hall of Presidents & Navi River Journey for instance...
More likely most of the budget went on the animatronics and all that is left was used for the rest of the ride. At least with ROTR, it's a combination of great animatronics and great ride (if it was working 100%).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I agree, but I don't think BatB is any of those things.
Of course you don't.
More likely most of the budget went on the animatronics and all that is left was used for the rest of the ride. At least with ROTR, it's a combination of great animatronics and great ride (if it was working 100%).
That's valid. Gosh, imagine how amazing an audio animatronic show like CBJ, COP, or AA would be today if EVERY AA was that impressive.

Giss Neric

Of course you don't.

That's valid. Gosh, imagine how amazing an audio animatronic show like CBJ, COP, or AA would be today if EVERY AA was that impressive.
Totally agree. But first they need to get foot traffic in those attractions first not only from fans but also from casual visitors before Imagineering can be motivated to at least update them. They couldn't even update Muppets 3D or Philharmagic.

Ldno

In Tokyo it’s basically in Fantasyland, they even have the same Gaston’s Tavern outside, all they have to do is port it over and game Over, the thing that threw me off was the Japanese audio but it’s understandable, feels like Disney will bring this over to MK’s Fantasyland in the future, i mean the outside is already done!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Totally agree. But first they need to get foot traffic in those attractions first not only from fans but also from casual visitors before Imagineering can be motivated to at least update them. They couldn't even update Muppets 3D or Philharmagic.
Foot traffic comes with a renovation that big. It’d be like CBJ opening again in the 70s when the technology was just as impressive then, as brand new animatronics are today.

They may not have updated the ones you listed, but they took the time to update Canada and China.

Raineman

I do like reading posts discussing new Disney attractions, but I think there is one thing that must be understood while discussing new attractions, especially one like this that is in another country-unless you have been on the attraction, you can only make a partial judgement on the attraction, as watching it on YouTube from the camera’s POV can be worlds away from experiencing the attraction first hand. For example, I’m sure riding RoTR is completely different than watching a YouTube POV video.

tl77

I haven't seen either in person, so I don't judge them too much based on videos, but I would've rather seen The Beauty and the Beast ride in Epcot's France pavilion because it fit the "old world", pre-World War 1 theme of World Showcase. Ratatouille is story created by Pixar, and set in "contemporary" Paris, the original "timeless fairy tale" of Beauty and the Beast is from France, and apart of real French culture, which why the Disney film makes so many references to that, but that's the sort of thing that World Showcase is supposed to be about.

People complain that Frozen doesn't belong in The Norway pavilion because the story is not originally from Norway, but I think the "timeless fairy tale" look of Frozen better fits the Norway pavilion, than the "green wall carpet" queue, and the "off shore oil rig which was stolen from CommuniCore" ending of Maelstrom.

I liked how the original EPCOT Center was "A World of the Future" in the front, and "A World of the Past" in the back. With Ratatouille in the France Pavilion they're abandoning that, and it's basically just a modern version of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride". To me "screen based" rides are just the new "painted flats" ...I'll always rather see AA figures with a catchy song, then "getting whipped around in the dark" and I'm not real impressed with any of the videos of these "trackless rides", though I've never been on one myself

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I watched the video and I'm not impressed. It looks a bit boring to me. You're just in a car that's spinning and moving back and forth in large empty rooms. I was fully expecting a huge full out retelling of the story based on that pre-show.

Jesus talk about a let down. Ariel's Undersea Adventure does a better job at retelling the story than this one.
Very true.

Ldno

Very true.
We are also missing the queue and pre show perspective, it’s almost as long as RotR when you add those Up, I was shocked when I saw pictures of the ”inside” the castle queue, it was amazing.

Like someone mentioned above, watching a video is not the same as riding, the ballroom sequence might be better than Runaway’s railwaY in terms of car movement, but we will see, there’s so much we haven’t seen other than the ”ride” perspective.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We are also missing the queue and pre show perspective, it’s almost as long as RotR when you add those Up, I was shocked when I saw pictures of the ”inside” the castle queue, it was amazing.
The ride itself is no Rise though. LPS dancing around square room after square room with something in the middle does not make a great attraction.

FettFan

The ride...

The land...

BatB is nice, but I think that Mystic Manor still reigns supreme simply because of how dense it is.

After Be Our Guest, the rest of the ride falls rather flat. In fact the "Something There" sequence in the snow reminded me of the frozen lake scene in Peter Jackson's King Kong that went on FOREVER.

Meanwhile, Gaston's villager revolt is just tacked on as a transition.

That's the one point where they SHOULD have gone absolutely NUTS with the animatronics.

Mystic Manor has suits of armor coming alive, man-eating plants, vengeful tiki gods shooting at you with blow-darts, and a monkey god statue that comes to life and shreds the room with a tornado.

BatB has....the wardrobe holding back a door with angry villagers impotently poking their weapons through a crack. Gaston is only seen as a projected shadow. The Beast dies, but we don't see Gaston actually stab him. He's just dead, presumably because the rose wilted, so that's the end.

But I still think it's better than Ratatouille. Because this actually DOES something.

britain

Another POV with queue and preshow. It's so hard to search for these as the titles are in Japanese.

A much better video. And, I'm sure, a better representation of the experience. There are little things happening right and left during the Mob Attack / Transformation scene. It's not just a tunnel with the wardrobe. Yes, it would be nice if there were some representation of the fight against the mob, but it's fine. All fine. Looks like a very nice attraction that will probably be at the top of some people's lists.

And it would be nice if it made its way to the states somehow, but I still prefer Rat in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom