Tokyo's Beauty & the Beast... Better than Ratatouille?

yensidtlaw1969

You think it's an E-ticket? No doubt Disney does too but I think calling it a D-ticket is the fairer classification.
Did you see that Castle they built?

Did you see the massive, intricately themed Queue?

Did you see the scale of that Preshow?

Did you see those Animatronics?

Did you see the size of those Showscenes?

Did you see the Beast's Transformation?

Did you see those next-gen LPS Vehicles?

Like I said, the ride isn't without issues - some of them stem directly from use of the ambitious elements above - I've left my review on this site and I had a lot of criticism. But even still, this ride has much, much more in common with something like Rise of the Resistance than something like Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. Or even the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which many here love to argue is absolutely an E when it is clearly a D at best. There's nothing in Tokyo Disneyland Park that compares with this attraction for scale, by practically every measurement.

This ride cost 300 Million Dollars. You don't spend anything close to that on a D-Ticket. They were clearly swinging for the fences here, doing things that have never been done before on a scale reserved for only the most high-profile projects. The only things on a similar scale we've ever seen built here in the states are Rise of the Resistance and Radiator Springs Racers. The experience doesn't congeal as well as Rise and Racers do, but that's basically immaterial - this is one of the most ambitious attractions Disney has EVER built. We're allowed to be disappointed, we're allowed to think they missed the mark, and for the record I kinda feel that way, but that doesn't magically negate everything that went into making this a massive, massive attraction.

If this isn't an E-Ticket Version of a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride, what is? One that has better pacing? One that has one more scene? One that spends less time in the interminable "Something There" room? I don't agree with all the choices they made here, but I won't pretend they didn't give us a kitchen sink - and the money backs that up.

I don't think that Budget automatically determines whether or not something is a great ride, or even a Top-of-the-Line ride, but it does give a sense of whether or not they cut corners to shortchange the guest experience. For what they spent and what we got, money was clearly not the object here. Creative decision-making was the object. We can disagree with that decision-making, and the creative direction of the project overall - and, again, I kinda do - but I don't think that knocks down one of their most ambitious efforts ever by a full letter grade. This is a rare species of ride - just because we don't like all of its feathers doesn't mean they aren't biologically impressive.

Let's not forget that The Haunted Mansion was generally regarded as a let-down when it opened - all those years of pent-up anticipation, after opening on the tails of Pirates of the Caribbean it was seen as sort of a Sophomore Slump. Time corrected for this perception, of course, and the ride was allowed to stand on its own spectacular merits. I think if we look past what *we* expected from a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride after waiting nearly 30 years for one it becomes very clear that every effort was made to make this ride one of the most physically ambitious rides ever.

If it's a little narratively ineffectual, and it is, it's not because they weren't aiming to clear the highest bar. They just prioritized different things than we'd hoped. Emotional engagement for the guest is important, but if that were the standard by which we gauged Ticket Levels then the Teacups would be an E. This thing is so physically next-level, let's not pretend it doesn't give us any gifts at all. It ain't perfect, but it gives many.

jaxonp

Aside from the spectacular animatronics, this is the worst of the trackless, in terms of pacing and excitement. And it just happens to be the only one I haven't ridden so maybe that'll change... if they let us travel again one day soon.... I also think Mystic Manor is overrated compared to most so maybe its me. Rise, Hunny Hunt (how old is this attraction again?) and MMRR are home runs imo. Everything else needs work.

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is fun and in comparison this looks boring.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Like I said, the ride isn't without issues - some of them stem directly from use of the ambitious elements above - I've left my review on this site and I had a lot of criticism. But even still, this ride has much, much more in common with something like Rise of the Resistance than something like Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. Or even the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which many here love to argue is absolutely an E when it is clearly a D at best. There's nothing in Tokyo Disneyland Park that compares with this attraction for scale, by practically every measurement.

This ride cost 300 Million Dollars. You don't spend anything close to that on a D-Ticket. They were clearly swinging for the fences here, doing things that have never been done before on a scale reserved for only the most high-profile projects. The only things on a similar scale we've ever seen built here in the states are Rise of the Resistance and Radiator Springs Racers. The experience doesn't congeal as well as Rise and Racers do, but that's basically immaterial - this is one of the most ambitious attractions Disney has EVER built. We're allowed to be disappointed, we're allowed to think they missed the mark, and for the record I kinda feel that way, but that doesn't magically negate everything that went into making this a massive, massive attraction.

If this isn't an E-Ticket Version of a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride, what is? One that has better pacing? One that has one more scene? One that spends less time in the interminable "Something There" room? I don't agree with all the choices they made here, but I won't pretend they didn't give us a kitchen sink - and the money backs that up.

I don't think that Budget automatically determines whether or not something is a great ride, or even a Top-of-the-Line ride, but it does give a sense of whether or not they cut corners to shortchange the guest experience. For what they spent and what we got, money was clearly not the object here. Creative decision-making was the object. We can disagree with that decision-making, and the creative direction of the project overall - and, again, I kinda do - but I don't think that knocks down one of their most ambitious efforts ever by a full letter grade. This is a rare species of ride - just because we don't like all of its feathers doesn't mean they aren't biologically impressive.

Let's not forget that The Haunted Mansion was generally regarded as a let-down when it opened - all those years of pent-up anticipation, after opening on the tails of Pirates of the Caribbean it was seen as sort of a Sophomore Slump. Time corrected for this perception, of course, and the ride was allowed to stand on its own spectacular merits. I think if we look past what *we* expected from a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride after waiting nearly 30 years for one it becomes very clear that every effort was made to make this ride one of the most physically ambitious rides ever.

If it's a little narratively ineffectual, and it is, it's not because they weren't aiming to clear the highest bar. They just prioritized different things than we'd hoped. Emotional engagement for the guest is important, but if that were the standard by which we gauged Ticket Levels then the Teacups would be an E. This thing is so physically next-level, let's not pretend it doesn't give us any gifts at all. It ain't perfect, but it gives many.

I had deleted my original post because everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. But on this one, I just disagree. It looks like a D-ticket with a nice queue. Striving for an E classification but doesn't quite reach it, IMO.

To your points though:
An elaborate façade doesn't make an E-ticket attraction. See Little Mermaid.
An elaborate queue doesn't make an E-ticket attraction. See Navi River Journey.
Pass.
The waltz AA and the intro Lumière, yes. Everything else was static or limited motion, including the Beast Transformation which I didn't find to be that impressive, though I do appreciate Imagineering's commitment in using old-school principles, where applicable.
Yes, MASSIVE with very little detail.
Wasn't impressed.
A technical marvel that adds spinning and tilting. (Without that would the attraction be boring?)
Not having ridden it I suspect this is it's saving grace.

An E-ticket by Disney's own definition perhaps but not mine. Results may vary.

Parker in NYC

🤣

Seriously though, when looking at everything that's been built at Disney World in the past 20 years, I think BatB would probably be a top 5 ride. Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance are definitely better, and a fully functioning Expedition Everest is too. MMRR is arguable. I think that's basically it.

I'm normally critical of people who condemn something without having ridden. So, I'll condemn myself until the day it arrives because I don't think I'll be going back to Tokyo anytime soon.

UNCgolf

I'm normally critical of people who condemn something without having ridden. So, I'll condemn myself until the day it arrives because I don't think I'll be going back to Tokyo anytime soon.

To be fair, that top 5 ride comment wasn't entirely about the quality of BatB. It was as much (if not more) about how mediocre to bad the stuff they've built at WDW is.

I do think it looks like a good enough ride, especially the opening Be Our Guest scene and the transformation/ballroom scene, but it could have been much better.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I had deleted my original post because everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. But on this one, I just disagree. It looks like a D-ticket with a nice queue. Striving for an E classification but doesn't quite reach it, IMO.

To your points though:
An elaborate façade doesn't make an E-ticket attraction. See Little Mermaid.
An elaborate queue doesn't make an E-ticket attraction. See Navi River Journey.
Pass.
The waltz AA and the intro Lumière, yes. Everything else was static or limited motion, including the Beast Transformation which I didn't find to be that impressive, though I do appreciate Imagineering's commitment in using old-school principles, where applicable.
Yes, MASSIVE with very little detail.
Wasn't impressed.
A technical marvel that adds spinning and tilting. (Without that would the attraction be boring?)
Not having ridden it I suspect this is it's saving grace.

An E-ticket by Disney's own definition perhaps but not mine. Results may vary.
I agree with you that none of those elements alone make an E-Ticket.

But all of them together? 🤔

bryanfze55

I expected more from the OLC. This ride seems to exemplify modern Disney - it’s obvious that a lot of money was spent and it’s visually impressive, but it just lacks heart and soul. Doesn’t have any charm. No “it” factor. Sindbad’s Storybook Voyage makes me want to go to Tokyo far more than this does.

There’s a clear trend that Disney’s animated fantasy films are not resulting in particularly good rides. I’m concerned for Splash Mountain.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I expected more from the OLC. This ride seems to exemplify modern Disney - it’s obvious that a lot of money was spent and it’s visually impressive, but it just lacks heart and soul. Doesn’t have any charm. No “it” factor. Sindbad’s Storybook Voyage makes me want to go to Tokyo far more than this does.

There’s a clear trend that Disney’s animated fantasy films are not resulting in particularly good rides. I’m concerned for Splash Mountain.
Right? So lifeless. Even MK's Little Mermaid is more lively... and it's terrible!

Stateside, it makes me wonder if Tangled Tower is just an AA away from being Disney's next great E-ticket provided they swap out the toilets with LPS commodes? Granted the queue is not as impressive. But they're already 3/4ths of the way there with the static Pascals figures and tower facade. 🤔

Is Little Mermaid an E-ticket? Music, Static figures, elaborate AAs, detailed queue, impressive facade. Mostly empty building. It checks a lot of boxes. Ah shoot, no LPS. Dang it, so close to perfection! lol

Joking aside, OLC didn't quite hit the mark with this one.

bryanfze55

elaborate AA's??? The closest thing to an elaborate AA in the attraction is the seagull in the queue.......a pretty good figure who holds his own but I wouldn't call it elaborate.

The relatively unknown Hodor dude AA in the Smugglers Run is elaborate.

How many doors could Hodor hold if Hodor could hold doors?

Animaniac93-98

I agree with you that none of those elements alone make an E-Ticket.

But all of them together? 🤔

It's more an E-ticket than the ride it replaced

1601665618272.png

yensidtlaw1969

It's more an E-ticket than the ride it replaced

View attachment 502227
For real.

This ride is leagues bigger than anything that's opened in The Magic Kingdom since 1992. I'm all for critical thinking - the ride DOES have issues - It falters on pacing and emotion. MK has had a few "more-satisfying" experiences in that time; Alien Encounter leaps to mind. But for anyone to deny Beauty's status an an E-Ticket is mind boggling to me. It can be imperfect and still runaway with the E-Ticket title.

Animaniac93-98

For real.

This ride is leagues bigger than anything that's opened in The Magic Kingdom since 1992. I'm all for critical thinking - the ride DOES have issues - It falters on pacing and emotion. MK has had a few "more-satisfying" experiences in that time; Alien Encounter leaps to mind. But for anyone to deny Beauty's status an an E-Ticket is mind boggling to me. It can be imperfect and still runaway with the E-Ticket title.

The expansion, overall, is a net positive for Tokyo Disneyland. The new indoor theater will be a welcome improvement over the (hot) outdoor venue that was Showbase and I like the village and BatB ride better than Grand Circuit Raceway.

Baymax is a bigger letdown after losing Star Jets. Only the music is better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom