Trip Report To Disneyland, with Love: A June 2013 Trip Report

What can I say, Disneyland?! I’m writing you this love letter because you managed to steal a little piece of my heart. The time we spent with you last summer was unbelievably magical for this little family of ours.

Seeing how long it’s been since my last trip report, I may be a new face to some of you! I’m Holly and traveling with me are my dreamer of a husband, Brett, and our little dreamboat, Lucas. More than ever, we’re loving life as a party of three. A little background for those of you who may not be aware… in June Brett completed a five-month professional internship with the Walt Disney Company. Over the course of those five months, Lucas and I were only able to spend a total of seven days with him. To say we missed the man would be the understatement of the century. And I feel certain this is why Disneyland settled so sweetly within my heart, it was the adventure that landed in our laps mere days after his return.

So, how’d this happen? Well, in early June a work-related trip to the west coast came across my desk. Not wanting to miss out on a great opportunity, I floated the idea out to Brett and we decided we must throw caution to the wind, pack up our tiny little human, and hop on a plane bound for Anaheim. There was a new adventure awaiting us on the horizon.

I booked our flights on June 12th and five days later we were en route to LAX. How’s that for last minute?! There was no planning, no spending days pouring over park maps and guidebooks, no stressing out over every last detail of the trip, and no perusing the internet for all the must-dos. There was none of that. What there was though was an excitement for something new, something unknown and magical waiting just for us. Can I let you in on a little secret? These are my FAVORITE kind of trips!

This trip report is for you, Disneyland, your magical highness!

IMG_7399.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Seriously, having these two back in the same place was magic. My kinda magic.

IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

But don’t let the giggles fool you; this kid was beyond done with his stroller. Beyond.

IMG_8030.jpg

Must. Get. Out.

IMG_8059.jpg

So we figured it was the perfect time to grab a bite to eat. We realized our mistakes from the previous day and decided to get back to our roots… one table service coming right up!

But first, a trip through the Blue Sky Cellar.

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8051.jpg

Tending to a tiny person during lunch means far fewer chances to take pictures of the scenery, I mean, thefood. But all’s well. Lunch was delicious and you’ll just have to take my word for it for there’s no photographic evidence. We were seated inside and it really lacked ambiance, but other than that it was a great meal, and an opportunity to get Lucas out of the sun for a while. Three cheers! Next time I’m going to request the al fresco dining… see what I did there? There’s going to be a next time. If I say it to be true, it will be!

This is what Cars Land looked like upon our exiting the restaurant! YIKES!

IMG_8057.jpg

Next up... more California Adventure coming your way!

WDWFigment

Wow, it's been a while--it sounds like a lot has changed for your family! Congrats on everything!

Great trip report thus far. You're definitely right about the closure of BTMRR sucking the atmosphere out of that part of Frontierland. I can't say I agree about Buena Vista Street, though. The previous entrance was all sorts of awful, and it's a small miracle that they managed to turn Sunshine Plaza into something that good. Yeah, it's like DHS in places, but it has a great deal of originality, too.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Wow, it's been a while--it sounds like a lot has changed for your family! Congrats on everything!

Great trip report thus far. You're definitely right about the closure of BTMRR sucking the atmosphere out of that part of Frontierland. I can't say I agree about Buena Vista Street, though. The previous entrance was all sorts of awful, and it's a small miracle that they managed to turn Sunshine Plaza into something that good. Yeah, it's like DHS in places, but it has a great deal of originality, too.

Thanks, Tom! Things just keep getting crazier for us.

I probably wasn't too clear in my description, I actually really liked both Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle area. I was just referring to the entrance facade going from the California letters to one that looks like DHS.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After lunch we headed toward the Condor Flats area where we hopped in line to meet with one very important Mouse. I mean, it’s not every day you get to meet a fly girl. Minnie had to take a quick minute to check on some flight’s status so Brett stood in the blazing hot line while Lucas and I sought shelter under the shade of an overhead monorail beam. While there Lucas chatted up a CM and clapped for Minnie when she returned from the terminal.

IMG_8077.jpg

I think this was the moment when I realized the supreme awesomeness of the Grand Californian. Holy heck… it’s RIGHT there.

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

IMG_8091.jpg

Like the rest of the women we meet, Minnie wanted to swoon over Lucas’ red hair. Can’t blame a lady!

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
By this point I was starting to worry about the sun. Not so much from a heat perspective, but more for fear that Lucas would get burnt. It was blazing and while I’d slathered him in sunscreen at what felt like 15 minute intervals, I still figured it would probably be good to seek respite from it for awhile. So we decided to make our way out and get a good afternoon nap in, in the hopes that he’d survive through World of Color later that evening.

Luckily for us some stars appeared out of nowhere as we were exiting the park... Chip and Dale! I'd say they're probably my favorite for meet and greets. “Look, Ma, looky there! There’s a chipmunk standing beside you! And he’s wearing clothes!”

IMG_8110.jpg

“Hey, Ma, can I touch him?! Can we take him home with us!?”

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

Seeing as how this trip was approximately six months ago, I really have no clue what happened on our little hiatus from the parks that afternoon. Deductive reasoning tells me Lucas probably nursed, we all probably napped, Lucas probably nursed again and we for sure reapplied sunscreen before going back out!

Back in California Adventure, we hung a right through Condor Flats on our way to Grizzly Peak, the last area of the park we had yet to see. Our time in this land only solidified my desire to stay at the Grand Californian.

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I was excited to experience Paradise Pier. Something about this area of the park grabbed hold of me and wouldn’t let go during our short time there. I think it may have even been my favorite land in all of Disneyland/California Adventure combined. There was an energy and effortlessness about it that just felt right. It felt authentic – not that I know what I’m talking about!

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

Hey @Disneyfalcon, tiny toes go to Paradise Pier…

IMG_8160.jpg

We each took a turn riding the swings, which I looooved. Such a simple yet perfect ride.

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

After the swings, Brett and I each hopped in the California Screamin’ single rider line. This is one i really wish I would've gotten a chance to ride a second time! I especially enjoyed the view at the top of the first crest.

c909951ad94211e2a72522000a1fb586_7.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Stopping for a second so I don't forget what I want to say. And you knooooow I have waaaaay too much to say!

I'm glad you mentioned choosing to forgo a map in a new park. I like this idea. Definitely will consider this in April/May. Hmmmm.....

The Flik's Flyers. If it makes you feel any better, the first prob'ly 5 years or so after I had my babies I was much more prone to motion sickness. So weird. Never had that problem before and eventually it did dissipate almost entirely. Well, except now when I *am* getting old. LOL! Don't lose hope. The new-to-you weird motion sensitivity might not be a forever thing. Baking babies does some really strange stuff, huh?

Okay. I'll shut up & keep reading.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We hit up Pacific Wharf for some delicious beverages and then took off for a leisurely stroll around the park.

IMG_8176.jpg

668cc62ed94b11e2b7f822000a1fb726_7.jpg

The entry from Pacific Wharf into Carsland is breathtaking, and it took me completely by surprise. It's like, it just appeared out of nowhere. The crazy thing is this is kinda the back entrance into the land, which is wild considering how grand it is.

IMG_8179.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8184.jpg

Leisurely stroll, it was not. Lucas was having NONE of it. I’m telling you, this kid has never been a fan of his stroller. Ever. He was screaming so loudly that we eventually just plopped down on one of the streets in Hollywood Land for a little breather. It turned out to be one of my favorite memories from the trip.

IMG_8189.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

IMG_8195.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Okay. The switch off for Radiator Springs Racers. You mentioned a bathroom break which reminded me of the logistics of using a public restroom with a baby in tow. ;) But then I wondered, do the guys turn the stroller away from the urinals? I wonder. I would bet for little girl humans the answer is yes. Boys? Who cares. I would envision a farting contest or something. LOL! Random thoughts. I'm sorry. :facepalm::joyfull:

Love the Goofy pics! What a fine man to run the show! And so safety-conscious by tethering his stick to his wrist. Good thinking, Goofy! :happy:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Brett decided to wear Lucas and it was uphill from there. He was all about the carrier. After our break, we headed back into Monstropolis where Roz paid mind to warn us that we had a small child-like tag along in our car and we better heed her warning and call in the CDA.

IMG_7921.jpg

After that, we headed to Bugs Land for some more Lucas friendly attractions.

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8207.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

IMG_8210.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Oh yes! Women swoon for the redheaded boy babies! Do you get remembered for it? The ladies at our OshKosh store knew us by name. And the then-manager at Margaritaville New Orleans. Her name was Wynter and she always took time to sit with us and play with the boys. It's no wonder there's such negative connotations with the ginger label. I'm convinced this whole stigma/label is the brain-child of some seriously envious non-redheads. ;)

Your pics are getting me so very psyched! Yesterday I had a bit of a diva princess moment when I read Pirates may be down when we are going to DL. My poor little heart was bruised at the thought of it. But, that's okay. I'll catch it next time. Since we prob'ly will buy APs and all. LOL!

Loved the trio of drinks lined up. That's awesome!

BTW, I think it was around 18 months Chandler decided he had an opinion and his opinion said he had better things to do than sit in a stroller. I remember.... ;)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After dinner we made our way back to the Grizzly River area of the park. I really liked the little Wilderness Explorer area – such a cute idea. Walking through the camp only served to increase my desire to stay at the Grand Californian. How amazing would it be to look out over this park each morning when you woke up?!

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

We wandered back towards Paradise Pier and hopped on the Voyage of the Littler Mermaid. This attraction will always hold a special place in my heart, considering the Magic Kingdom version ended up being Lucas’ first ride ever. Upon exiting the attraction, we asked a cast member where we should stand for World of Color and she directed us to a very specific spot between two trees. We were in the area relatively early and yet, we were across the walkway. Still though, it was great, what I saw of it anyway. Lucas was super tired and started crying at the beginning of it, but there was a great moment when the three of us were huddled together, Brett and I trying to calm the little guy down, when I decided that there was nowhere else I’d rather be. This little family of mine is amazing.

After the show, we called it a night and began making our way back to the hotel. It was quite a long walk, especially considering this guy was passed out in my arms...

IMG_8303.jpg

Speaking of arms, mine have never been so tone. Toting a tiny, squirming human around is the BEST arm workout ever.

Next up... rise and shine, Disneyland!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Stopping for a second so I don't forget what I want to say. And you knooooow I have waaaaay too much to say!

I'm glad you mentioned choosing to forgo a map in a new park. I like this idea. Definitely will consider this in April/May. Hmmmm.....

The Flik's Flyers. If it makes you feel any better, the first prob'ly 5 years or so after I had my babies I was much more prone to motion sickness. So weird. Never had that problem before and eventually it did dissipate almost entirely. Well, except now when I *am* getting old. LOL! Don't lose hope. The new-to-you weird motion sensitivity might not be a forever thing. Baking babies does some really strange stuff, huh?

Okay. I'll shut up & keep reading.

I'm pretty sure foregoing a map may actually be a bad idea for someone looking to accomplish everything and make the most of their day, but my definition of "making the most of my day" is probably different than the average Disney park goer. And I have a feeling you are my kind of different, Kelly. :) Depending on how many days you'll be there, you can always go back into the park and tour it commando style on subsequent days, but you'll never get a repeat of that first impression!

Interesting how the motion sickness came upon you and then went away after awhile. I'm sure it didn't help that this was still back when uninterrupted sleep was still a dream of mine. That just has to play a role with your equilibrium, I would think.

Don't ever shut up!

Okay. The switch off for Radiator Springs Racers. You mentioned a bathroom break which reminded me of the logistics of using a public restroom with a baby in tow. ;) But then I wondered, do the guys turn the stroller away from the urinals? I wonder. I would bet for little girl humans the answer is yes. Boys? Who cares. I would envision a farting contest or something. LOL! Random thoughts. I'm sorry. :facepalm::joyfull:

Love the Goofy pics! What a fine man to run the show! And so safety-conscious by tethering his stick to his wrist. Good thinking, Goofy! :happy:

EEEK... public restrooms with a baby! That's a whole thread topic all it's own, isn't it?! After three trips to WDW in Lucas' first year, I learned which bathrooms were best for baby changing. Seriously, even at WDW, they aren't all created equal. The one in Tomorrowland near Mickey's Star Traders? Never again!

I'll be flying solo with Lucas next month, with layovers in ATL both ways. I'm either brave or stupid. I like to think it's the former. But I'm not taking any chances... no bottles of water or diet dr. pepper's for mama!!

Oh yes! Women swoon for the redheaded boy babies! Do you get remembered for it? The ladies at our OshKosh store knew us by name. And the then-manager at Margaritaville New Orleans. Her name was Wynter and she always took time to sit with us and play with the boys. It's no wonder there's such negative connotations with the ginger label. I'm convinced this whole stigma/label is the brain-child of some seriously envious non-redheads. ;)

Your pics are getting me so very psyched! Yesterday I had a bit of a diva princess moment when I read Pirates may be down when we are going to DL. My poor little heart was bruised at the thought of it. But, that's okay. I'll catch it next time. Since we prob'ly will buy APs and all. LOL!

Loved the trio of drinks lined up. That's awesome!

BTW, I think it was around 18 months Chandler decided he had an opinion and his opinion said he had better things to do than sit in a stroller. I remember.... ;)

You totally know what I'm talking about, right?! It's like you can tell these ladies are just dying to reach out and run their hands through his hair. Some of them have serious trouble restraining themselves. And I can't tell you how many times they laugh and say "where'd that red hair come from?!" and look at me slyly like they're so clever, as if no one else has thought to ask that one before. ;) Sorry, ladies, I've already heard it a million times.

I'm glad the photos are helping to get you excited. I'm dying to get back to Disneyland to take more pictures - I've found that it's really difficult to focus on photography and setting up shots with the little guy in tow, so I've just started to roll with it and take what i can get.

And just remember, it's inevitable that something is going to be down for refurbishment or repair no matter when you go. You've totally got the right attitude about catching it next time!

Next time around I'm springing for a badass stroller, especially considering we'll be in the parks a lot. Hopefully, the next baby will get used to it. Of course, we both loved wearing him, so that's always an option while they're little. Sadly, we've phased out of that at this point!

Yay! Another Hollybelle TR to read and enjoy...and its from the Disney Park I have been to most often!

Thanks! We really loved the parks and resort area. I hope my report does it justice.

sweetpee_1993

I'm pretty sure foregoing a map may actually be a bad idea for someone looking to accomplish everything and make the most of their day, but my definition of "making the most of my day" is probably different than the average Disney park goer. And I have a feeling you are my kind of different, Kelly. :) Depending on how many days you'll be there, you can always go back into the park and tour it commando style on subsequent days, but you'll never get a repeat of that first impression!

Preach it! I'm definitely NOT doing a map on our first day in each park. This is the best thought ever. I love the way you think with your heart. I don't remember my first time at WDW. I don't remember not knowing those parks. This is my chance!

You totally know what I'm talking about, right?! It's like you can tell these ladies are just dying to reach out and run their hands through his hair. Some of them have serious trouble restraining themselves. And I can't tell you how many times they laugh and say "where'd that red hair come from?!" and look at me slyly like they're so clever, as if no one else has thought to ask that one before. ;) Sorry, ladies, I've already heard it a million times.

I do! Women are bonkers for redheaded little boys! Well, me too but I do have a legit reason to be. What's funny is when Chandler got old enough to be chatty women would still fawn over his hair and it made him mad. They'd say the standard "Look at that gorgeous red hair!" Or some such thing and he'd scowl at them. "My hair is NOT red. It's BLUE." Then they'd fall even further for his sass. It was hysterical! Imagine someone asking Chandler where his red hair came from. LOL! Duh? A lady once started the fawning, looked at Tracey, and said jokingly, "Oh you can't deny that one." Tracey got mad. He was nice but when we walked away he was like, "What the heck was that?! Would I try to deny my son?!" LOL! Oh! And now when I'm out and about especially with Chandler we both notice other red headed kids & teens. We never say anything to them but we notice. When Chandler was a squirt we were in a Walmart or something and he spotted another little boy about his age with red hair nearby. He was sooooo excited squealing, "Momma! Momma! Look! He's like MEEEEEEE!" And he was rubbing his hair. It was so adorable. I know how he felt though. I hated my red hair when I was little because I didn't like being different. Now? My heart is breaking little crack by little crack as I watch the grays sneaking in. I know eventually they'll win and rob me of my wonderful red tresses. :cry:

Next time around I'm springing for a badass stroller, especially considering we'll be in the parks a lot. Hopefully, the next baby will get used to it. Of course, we both loved wearing him, so that's always an option while they're little. Sadly, we've phased out of that at this point!

Oh yay! Next baby!!! I'm glad the extended wakeful nights hasn't put you off from the possibility of more. They're each so different but I know had I gone as long as you without a full night's sleep I might not have had another. I stopped at 2 largely because of all the puking Brian did. That was my birth control thought. LOL! The strollers they have nowadays are amazing. So much better than what we had for the boys. Oooooh, but I have visions of parking my far-in-the-future grandbabes in my vintage Taylor Tot. They don't make stuff like that anymore. Speaking of grandbabes, Brian asked me last week if I had thought about what I want his someday kids to call me. Actually, I have. LOL! I think Grammie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom