Tipping with Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

autigger

My family and I are headed to Disney World on Sunday and we will be on the dining plan.:sohappy:

I understand that tips are included on the dining plan, but I am curious as to how much tip is included. Also, is it customary to tip beyond what the dining plan provides for good service?:veryconfu

musketeer

It's not a huge black mark against you, but it is something that makes all your non-cheap friends/family cringe when you do it, because they know it's not proper ettiquette.

Proper etiquette would be to NOT expect a 15% tip just for being a waiter. Proper etiquette would be to work to earn your tip, and not feel like you are entitled to it just for having that job.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Okay, time to turn this around. If a waiter is entitled to at least 15% should there be a cap too. If a guest tips more than 20%, are they too generous? Can't have it both way folks. Waiting tables is a gamble. Thats why most people don't choose to do it for a career. As a waiter you aren't "supposed" to get anything. Everything you get is "luck" no matter how "good" you are, any table can "stiff" you. If you really want to get into the dark mind of the server, ask any server about how they rate different races when they sit down. That was the most annoying part of the job, listing to other servers intentionally give bad service to some customers. Also, SPITTING DOES HAPPEN. Putting the quarters on the table might not be a smart move. I don't support any of these things, just things I have seen at any of the locations I worked.

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Okay, time to turn this around. If a waiter is entitled to at least 15% should there be a cap too. If a guest tips more than 20%, are they too generous? Can't have it both way folks. Waiting tables is a gamble. Thats why most people don't choose to do it for a career. As a waiter you aren't "supposed" to get anything. Everything you get is "luck" no matter how "good" you are, any table can "stiff" you. If you really want to get into the dark mind of the server, ask any server about how they rate different races when they sit down. That was the most annoying part of the job, listing to other servers intentionally give bad service to some customers. Also, SPITTING DOES HAPPEN. Putting the quarters on the table might not be a smart move. I don't support any of these things, just things I have seen at any of the locations I worked.

So do other things. :hurl: Just read some of the things on here.
http://www.stainedapron.com/

Upvote 0

scotth1224

I've been in and out of this post, so I haven't read everything, but look, we all know the "by the book" tip is 15%, up to 20% if you felt the service was noticeably good, less if it was noticeably bad. Period. Do you have to do it? No. But don't try to rationalize it. You're cheap. That's it. It's not a huge black mark against you, but it is something that makes all your non-cheap friends/family cringe when you do it, because they know it's not proper ettiquette.

BRAVO!!!!! WELL SAID!!!!!!!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

sbkline

She's just as offended as I am about people talking about 5 and even 10% tips. AEfx

What I don't understand is why the need to take personal offense over my tipping habits. Like I said numerous times, perhaps in the future I should make a point to leave better tips. Maybe $2 is tacky (unless that 2 bucks is 15 percent of the bill). I'm not disputing that. But why are YOU personally insulted by the fact that a person you have never met leaves less money than you think he should? Is it hurting you? I'm not saying that you should approve of my leaving $2 tips. I understand if you think that is too low. But I don't understand your need to feel offended by it, as if I am personally harming YOU in some way.:confused:

Upvote 0

scotth1224

Proper etiquette would be to NOT expect a 15% tip just for being a waiter. Proper etiquette would be to work to earn your tip, and not feel like you are entitled to it just for having that job.

The girls at my place average 40-60% usually taking home $200-$400 a night on weekends...less during the week. Of course we are more bar than restaurant....but trust me if you think they don't remember you if you don't tip or tip poorly. They do, and I of course would never encourage or allow retribution on customers, their food or service they receive......but trust me I have been in service over 18 years having owned a restaurant/bar for 9 years now....let me assure you that it does happen!
Waiters and waitresses have a memory like an elephant!

Upvote 0

Lucky

What I don't understand is why the need to take personal offense over my tipping habits. Like I said numerous times, perhaps in the future I should make a point to leave better tips. Maybe $2 is tacky (unless that 2 bucks is 15 percent of the bill). I'm not disputing that. But why are YOU personally insulted by the fact that a person you have never met leaves less money than you think he should? Is it hurting you? I'm not saying that you should approve of my leaving $2 tips. I understand if you think that is too low. But I don't understand your need to feel offended by it, as if I am personally harming YOU in some way.:confused:
Personally I tip 15% or more on average, but I am not going to judge others who follow a different practice. When I was a waiter, my tips even for good service varied a lot, and I don't think those who tipped below the average were necessarily morally inferior.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Personally I tip 15% or more on average, but I am not going to judge others who follow a different practice. When I was a waiter, my tips even for good service varied a lot, and I don't think those who tipped below the average were necessarily morally inferior.

and to the waiter that does have a problem with it... it's your problem. That's why so many are disgruntled. Tip Rage! 15% isn't a birthright.

Upvote 0
Trying to get back on topic:

18% is a good average. We used the plan in january and we tip above and beyond the "included tip". We tipped 20% of the bill. I know that the 18% is included in DDP, but its nice for someone to get cash as well.

some restaurants pool the tips, some don't. Either way, I tip 20% regardless of what they get from a plan or their employer.

On behalf of all the servers and former-servers (myself included in the latter), I would like to thank you for that.

I have said it before, and will say it again: If you go to a nicer restaurant, the food is more expensive and the tip SHOULD reflect your meal choices.

If Brenda orders a salad at Table 1, and Tom orders a steak at Table 2, the differences are normally quite large. (I AM NOT SAYING THESE ARE EXACTLY THE SITUATIONS THAT HAPPEN, BUT BASED ON MY AND MY FREIND'S SERVICE EXPERIENCES.)

SCENARIO 1:

Brenda's server comes and says hello, asks how she is, asks for her drink order, fills up the soda/tea/water and brings it back. Then the server takes the salad order (What kind of dressing?), and goes to the computer and hits Salad/Ranch. The server comes back within ten minutes with said salad, dressing, and refills her soda. Then the server comes back to ask how the food is, does she need anything. Then the server comes back to give her the check.

SCENARIO 2:

Tom's server comes and says hello, asks how he is, asks for his drink order. Tom orders a beer or glass of wine. Tom's server goes to the bar and waits for the bartender to finish the bar orders, then takes the beer and brings it back to the table. Then the server takes Tom's order: How would you like your steak/fish prepared? Would you like steak sauce/tarter sauce or lemon/dill dip? Sauteed mushrooms? Would you like soup or salad with that? What kind of soup? What dressing on your salad? Would you like that out first or with the meal? What kind of potato would you like with that? Butter? Sour cream, bacon or cheese?

The server then goes back to the computer and types in: Steak, then Medium Rare, then Steak sauce, then baked potato, then sourcream and butter, then salad, then dressing, then "bring out before hand."

The server comes to check on Tom and bring him his salad. Would he like another beer? Tom says yes, so the server once again goes to the bar to wait for 2-3 min. until the bar tender has a moment to fill the beer. Then he comes back to deliver the beer.

The server dashes back between waiting on other tables to check if the steak is up yet - it is a warm/hot item, so it must be brought out by them or a foodserver right away.

The steak is ready. The server brings it out, along with the potato. Does Tom need anything else? He'd like a water. When the server comes back, Tom says that the steak is a little undercooked, could they bring it back and cook it for a bit longer?

The server rushes back to speak to the kitchen, all the while hoping that the kitchen's mistake won't ruin their tip, or Tom's evening. The server then goes to check with the manager who says you can bring him a free dessert afterwards, for his wait on the steak.

The server then goes to check on other tables, always rushing back to see if Tom's steak is finished. Finally he brings it out, and Tom tastes it and says it's great.

The server comes back to check on Tom a while later. Tom would like a little more sourcream for his potato. Server hurries back to the kitchen and brings back sourcream.

Server comes back again. Tom says everything was great, thanks so much. Server again apologizes for the steak, and offers a free dessert. Tom says thanks, that'd be great. Server lists off three dessert choices, Tom chooses cheesecake. Server goes to the back, pulls cake out of fridge, puts in on a glass plate, pours topping on it, puts cake back in the fridge, comes out to deliver to Tom.

Comes back later and Tom asks for more water. Sever brings back more water.

Server comes back and Tom says he is finished. Server goes and prints out the bill, comes back and gives it to Tom.

Still think Tom shouldn't pay more for his meal? Still think that it's equal service if you order a salad vs. an expensive entree? Even if Tom's steak hadn't had to be taken back (which isn't the server's fault, remember), his meal still required MUCH MORE preparation then Brenda's. So before you open mouth and insert foot, remember that you are paying for SERVICE.

All of this is assuming your server does a good job. NOT: if you don't like the server's hair, if you don't like that they say 'ya'all', if they are young and pregnant and you don't agree with that, if you have to send your steak back, if you had to wait long at the door, if you had a bad day, if your steak took longer than the people who got there AFTER you's salad, if you don't like the portion size, ETC. THAT IS NOT YOUR SERVER'S FAULT AND THEY CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Sigh. Still angry about people who are ignorant and small-minded, but I'm breathing deeply now.

And those of you just reading these threads and want a server's opinion on the correct way to tip?

Bad Service: Speak to a manager. (Rude server, sloppy presentation, drinks took forever without an apology or explanation, food took more than 20 minutes WITHOUT an a explanation.)

Alright Service: 10-15% (Server was short and a bit cranky, didn't bring crayons for the kids if available, didn't check on you, etc.)

Good Service: 20%

Excellent Service: 20% or a bit more if you can afford it.

IF YOU HAVE MANY CHILDREN AND THEY LEAVE A MESS, YOUR SERVER HAS TO CLEAN THIS UP OR THE SERVERS HAVE TO TIP OUT THE BUSBOYS TO CLEAN THIS UP. LEAVE THEM SOMETHING EXTRA FOR THE DISASTER.

We go out with 3 year old triplets, and they make a disaster - we leave 20% just because of our mess.

Upvote 0

kachow

No. That's not social ettiquette. That's your personal opinion. You may also think it's okay to eat your salad with your dessert fork, but it's not. Does it make you a bad person? No. Can you physically do it? Yes. Does the food taste the same? Yes. But does it make you look like a dolt in social situations? Yes.

Upvote 0
No. That's not social ettiquette. That's your personal opinion. You may also think it's okay to eat your salad with your dessert fork, but it's not. Does it make you a bad person? No. Can you physically do it? Yes. Does the food taste the same? Yes. But does it make you look like a dolt in social situations? Yes.

Very well said! I really like that one...I think I'm stealing it to use in conversation and pretend it's mine. Hehe, just kidding! :wave: :)

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

What about the server that serves 3 people at a steak place and they order 3 salads. The bill comes to $9.00 and they tip 15%, or $1.50. How is that fair to the server? If they are used to a $130.00 bill at the table for that hour tipping over $20, the server loses out. Thats why we don't tip on %. $1 per person and bottom feeder places. Standar fare $2, and Fancy $3. That's our "fair" rule of thumb. And if service is bad, we give less. VERY RARELY do we give more, because my standard of service is VERY RARELY met.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Yeah, 3 fork places aren't my style anyways. What a snotty comment.

Upvote 0

kachow

Did you even read your own comment?

I'm not following you. If you care about table manners, then someone using the wrong utensils with each course is going to look like a dolt. You obviously don't care about traditional table manners, so you wouldn't care. I doubt personally I would care about that specific issue, but the general question here is what's a proper tip, and as I've said, I think everyone knows the customary tip is 15-20%. And custom, is what we're judged against. If you don't care, tip whatever you want. Don't tip anything. But the fact that the question was posed, indicated to me, the person cared about what they're expected to tip, and like it or not, diners are expected to tip 15-20%. If you don't like it, take it up with the same person that decided what utensils to use with each course.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Actually, tip/taxes w/the gov't aren't based on 15%. They are based on 7%. If a server doesn't average at least 7 % of their sales in tips for the pay period, they will be rounded up. This is to average out times where tips are only 3% and when they are 22%. I don't know where you heard 15%, but you are wrong.

Thank you so much for your kind correction.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom