Tipping with Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

autigger

My family and I are headed to Disney World on Sunday and we will be on the dining plan.:sohappy:

I understand that tips are included on the dining plan, but I am curious as to how much tip is included. Also, is it customary to tip beyond what the dining plan provides for good service?:veryconfu

musketeer

Leaving $2 or $3 at Olive Garden or Outback??? Unless your Server was the scum of the Earth, then that is just RUDE. I would request to never be your server again. they should post a picture of your face in the kitchen, warning each other so that they don't waste their time going out of their way to give you good service that you clearly don't deserve.

I'm not understanding something here. How much do people spend when they go to these restaurants. Maybe the total bill comes to $20, $25...which would require a $3 to $3.75 tip (assuming 15%). A $2 to $3 tip would be around 10% to %15...so you would request to never serve that person again and think their picture should be posted for everyone to see just because they tipped 10% to 15%???????????

I'm dying to know what you tip...because I'd want to be your server all the time...you seem to just throw money at anybody for anything.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I'm not understanding something here. How much do people spend when they go to these restaurants. Maybe the total bill comes to $20, $25...which would require a $3 to $3.75 tip (assuming 15%). A $2 to $3 tip would be around 10% to %15...so you would request to never serve that person again and think their picture should be posted for everyone to see just because they tipped 10% to 15%???????????

Are you talking per person or per couple? I can possibly spend 20 or 25 for MY meal, but that's just for me, not counting my wife. So for a couple, you're probably talking a good 40 or 50 dollars. And yes, I'm talking about leaving a total tip of 2 or 3 dollars. Perhaps I should leave a higher amount, but I don't think it needs to be based on the meal cost. Just a flat amount.

But the last time we ate at Olive Garden was probably two or three years ago. We just don't get to expensive restaraunts much anymore. And now that we have a baby, it will probably be even more seldom.

Upvote 0

Lanipie

I'm dying to know what you tip...because I'd want to be your server all the time...you seem to just throw money at anybody for anything.

NO NO NO. First off there is almost no way you are gonna get out of Outback for two people for under $20. Second i am talking about SERVICE. if the service is GOOD then yes the server deserves more than a 10% tip. I didn't say to leave exhorbitant amounts of money. 15% would be perfectly fine. But this person isn't trying to leave 10% they just rudely leave $2 bucks no matter where they go no matter what the cost. that is RUDE. It's about the service combined with the cost of the meal. If your meal was $17 and you left $2 then good on ya! Have a nice day. but if your bill is $35 and you left $2. That is just rude and el cheapo.

I am not rich. LMAO Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from it. I rarely eat out because it's too expensive. but when i do go out. I leave at least 15% if the service was good.

It's all about Service not just randomly leaving $2 everywhere you go, simply because you're to cheap, or lazy, or whatever, to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Tipping and a Tip on Friendly's

I have never had the patience required to work in a job as a server... It's a difficult job, very demanding, with few rewards save for good tips. It's too bad that this job is paid in the manner that it is (relying on tips) and that servers don't get base pay that is reasonable... but it is what it is... I always consider the difficulty of the person's job when I am tipping... I generally leave between 15 and 20%... I do leave less if the service is HORRIBLE... once I actually left nothing... but I spoke to the manager about the service (this was at breakfast at a Friendly's restaurant in CT) becaue it took us over 2 hours to get our food...and nobody in my party got the right order the first two times... we were in a hurry...and had just met some friends for a quick breaqfast while we were passing through CT on a way to a wedding in RI...and the get together was completely ruined by the servers' ineptidtude... But that was an extreme case...

If I have great service...I will leave more than 18%... If I have not so good service...I'll leave between 10 and 15%... usually I still leave 15%...

An we fully recognize the difference between a server who is trying very hard to do their job well...yet the kitchen staff is backed up...or the food is sub par...

We had REALLY bad service at another Friendly's just yesterday, as it turned out... it was bad form start to finish--from being told the wrong wait time for a table... to there being tons of confusion... to them bringing the wrong food... and to there being no communication from the wait staff for 30 minutes at a time... which stinks when you've been brought the wrong food! And the kicker? The BLT I waited an hour for had ONE piece of bacon in the entire sandwich.... A half a piece for each half of the sandwich! I guess it was the Weight Watcher's version. lol... I had them take that off the bill... I wasn't paying $6 for a limp piece of bacon, two pieces of toast....some shredded lettuce and 3 small slices of tomato... The server still got a tip, though... even though her service was not so great--I could see that this location on this day was being poorly managed over-all... it was chaos in that place!

First I would like to say tipping is rarely manditory and at the times when it is required (patries of 8 or more or whatever) you should just consider if you actually want to eat at that restaurant. So if you want to cheap out on it you have your own conscious to deal with. As for restaurants, if they are really all that concerned with the well being of their wait staff then they should charge more and pay better. It is not the responsibility of the general public to make up for the way the restaurant industry is run.

NOW a tip on Friendly's. Just don't go there if you expect good service. The way the restaurant is set-up is that the server does 90% of the work. They take your order, prepare your food (the "cook" only cooks the burger or bacon or whatever the server has to put the lettuce, tomato, pickel and whatever else on your plate), they bus the table and finally they often have to handle the bill. Think about this do you really want the person who is cleaning the table and touching money touching your food?

All in all Friendly's is not a great place to go for a meal. Go for Ice Cream, the server won't be touching that with anything other than a scoop or a spoon and it is easy so they can get on to the next customer.

In the end I would say take some pity on your Friendly's server, they probably are not at fault it is probably just the set-up of the restaurant.

Upvote 0

sbkline

If your meal was $17 and you left $2 then good on ya! Have a nice day. but if your bill is $30 and you left $2. That is just rude and el cheapo.

And that's what I'm not getting. What difference does it make how much the meal was? Either way, the server is writing down your order and bringing your food to you. It's not taking anymore out of him/her to bring you a $27.75 Filet Mignon than it is to bring you a $10.95 chicken fingers basket. He's not making the food. It's not extra work on his part. So I fail to see why I have to give him more just because my food was more. Now again, perhaps I should leave more than $2. Maybe I should leave 4 or 5. But it would be $4 for a 20 dollar meal, or $4 for a 50 dollar meal. How much the meal costs is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Did any of you actually serve food. I have worked at several places. 15% is a dream. 7-10% is what I averaged. I was a GREAT server. I worked at "nice" places. Places where the average meal came to $15-20. Most people don't tip 15%. Any time I got over 10% I was greatful and over 20% was maybe once or twice a day. Most people don't tip. 18% is way above par. But ordering a larger meal should not mean that I have to add another 2-3 bucks into the charity fund for the waiter. The Sauteed Shrimp on the steak are $3.95 more, not $4.60 more.

Upvote 0

Lanipie

And that's what I'm not getting. What difference does it make how much the meal was? Either way, the server is writing down your order and bringing your food to you. It's not taking anymore out of him/her to bring you a $27.75 Filet Mignon than it is to bring you a $10.95 chicken fingers basket. He's not making the food. It's not extra work on his part. So I fail to see why I have to give him more just because my food was more. Now again, perhaps I should leave more than $2. Maybe I should leave 4 or 5. But it would be $4 for a 20 dollar meal, or $4 for a 50 dollar meal. How much the meal costs is irrelevant.

BUT YOU KEEP CONVIENIENTLY LEAVING OUT THE SERVICE PART!

Unless you are in a burger joint or some hole in the wall people typically expect better service. Now before someone starts in on a rant about how you should get good service no matter where you go.....here's the difference. in a nicer restaurant (where prices ARE HIGHER) the servers can often (not always) but often have more on the hands than at smaller places. they are expected to look the part of a clean friendly server. they usually have more demanding customers. they may have more tables, more drinks to fill, as they have to fill water and other drinks. they may have to deal with a bartender to get mixed drinks, they may have to bring you bread. They may have to serve you wine. They are more likely to be serving you dessert. In more expensive restaurants, the standards are higher and thus the burden of duties becomes higher on the server. THAT is why price makes a difference. they are dealing with sorts of issues that servers at Joe Blow's restaurant probably aren't having to deal with.

In the end it all comes down to service, and the service changes depending on what type of place you are at. Just look at Disney! We pay more and return to them because of the service. There's a theme park not 45 minutes from my house but I haven't been in ages because it's not the same. but, it's not Disney, so I don't expect it to be the same. that's why I am ok with Disney's prices being high, they deserve it, because they work harder at what they do.

Upvote 0

Lanipie

Did any of you actually serve food. I have worked at several places. 15% is a dream. 7-10% is what I averaged. I was a GREAT server. I worked at "nice" places. Places where the average meal came to $15-20. Most people don't tip 15%. Any time I got over 10% I was greatful and over 20% was maybe once or twice a day. Most people don't tip. 18% is way above par. But ordering a larger meal should not mean that I have to add another 2-3 bucks into the charity fund for the waiter. The Sauteed Shrimp on the steak are $3.95 more, not $4.60 more.

Yes I already stated in a previous post that I have been a server before. 15% was not a dream where I worked, and it wasn't even a ritzy restaurant. i guess I just lived in a place where people knew how to tip. If you did a great job and got 7% it would be a slap in the face.

Upvote 0

musketeer

I agree...makes little sense.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I agree...makes little sense.

You could use the same argument about paying over $300 a night to stay at say the Poly vs. paying $80 a night to stay at the All Stars. Its just a bed isnt it?

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We didn't leave more than the 18% tip included in the Dining Plan for the most part. Once or twice, more than 18% was earned, and we left more accordingly. But usually it was just the 18% and that was it. I feel that's quite generous, as they get the tip regardless of how good their service is... or isn't.

A tip used to be given... To Insure Promptness. A tip should not be expected, it should be earned. (I'm holding myself back from the 'entitlement society' argument that wants to jump out.... ;) ).

We'll tip 15%, if it's deserved. We've left 10% for servers who aren't attentive, are slow (if the restaurant is slow), etc. If I have to consistently ask for more water, the tip is reduced. If my water is never more than half gone, you just earned more. If they are cheerful, helpful, attentive, they'll get a good tip.

My wife and a friend of her's used to have a system, a stack of quarters. Everytime they had to ask for a refill, or didn't get what they asked for, a quarter was removed. The overall tip was determined by how many quarters were left at the end of the meal.

Upvote 0

AndyMagic

My wife and a friend of her's used to have a system, a stack of quarters. Everytime they had to ask for a refill, or didn't get what they asked for, a quarter was removed. The overall tip was determined by how many quarters were left at the end of the meal.

Wow, that just might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. :veryconfu

Upvote 0

hansel1

Trying to get back on topic:

18% is a good average. We used the plan in january and we tip above and beyond the "included tip". We tipped 20% of the bill. I know that the 18% is included in DDP, but its nice for someone to get cash as well.

some restaurants pool the tips, some don't. Either way, I tip 20% regardless of what they get from a plan or their employer.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Wow, that just might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. :veryconfu

Do you not understand the concept or you think its just ridiculous?

I actually think its rather smart and have even eaten with people who put 6 one dollar bills on the table and take one away everytime they have to wait an unreasonable amount of time for something, or if the server is less than nice.

I think its a good plan.

Upvote 0

sbkline

BUT YOU KEEP CONVIENIENTLY LEAVING OUT THE SERVICE PART!

Unless you are in a burger joint or some hole in the wall people typically expect better service. Now before someone starts in on a rant about how you should get good service no matter where you go.....here's the difference. in a nicer restaurant (where prices ARE HIGHER) the servers can often (not always) but often have more on the hands than at smaller places. they are expected to look the part of a clean friendly server. they usually have more demanding customers. they may have more tables, more drinks to fill, as they have to fill water and other drinks. they may have to deal with a bartender to get mixed drinks, they may have to bring you bread. They may have to serve you wine. They are more likely to be serving you dessert. In more expensive restaurants, the standards are higher and thus the burden of duties becomes higher on the server. THAT is why price makes a difference. they are dealing with sorts of issues that servers at Joe Blow's restaurant probably aren't having to deal with.

In the end it all comes down to service, and the service changes depending on what type of place you are at. Just look at Disney! We pay more and return to them because of the service. There's a theme park not 45 minutes from my house but I haven't been in ages because it's not the same. but, it's not Disney, so I don't expect it to be the same. that's why I am ok with Disney's prices being high, they deserve it, because they work harder at what they do.

I'm not disputing that. But when I compare the smaller prices and the larger prices, I'm not comparing two different restaraunts. I'm comparing two different meals in the same restaraunt. I'm not talking about paying 5 bucks at Fazolli's for the spagetti as opposed to 20 bucks at Olive Garden for the Veal Parmisian. I'm talking about going to the Olive Garden and paying 10 bucks for the spagetti and meatballs as opposed to 20 bucks for the Veal. So the service is the same. That's why I don't get the percentage thing. If I pay a 15 percent tip on 20 dollars and the guy across the room pays 15 percent on 10 dollars, the dollar amount extra that I pay isn't for service because he and I got the same service. We ate at the same place.

Upvote 0

musketeer

I'm holding myself back from the 'entitlement society' argument that wants to jump out.... ;)

You shouldn't. That is exactly what is going on here. People think that being a waiter is a great job because you get paid so much instantly in tips. Nevermind that the tips need to be earned. It is just assumed that by being the waiter, they are entitled to that benefit, regardless. In fact, it seems to be a common belief that they are entitled to the 15% as an absolute minimum, even if little to no service is provided at all, and that leaving a 15% tip is rude in of itself, and that the absolute minimum should be 18% to 20%...

Save your energy talking about the actual real meaning of the word TIP, no one will listen (or at least they won't want to listen).

Upvote 0

sbkline

You could use the same argument about paying over $300 a night to stay at say the Poly vs. paying $80 a night to stay at the All Stars. Its just a bed isnt it?

A more accurate analogy would be in the tip you are expected to pay in a suite in the Poly as opposed to a standard room in the Poly. Because that's what we're talking about. We're not talking about tips in different restaraunts. We're talking about the illogic of having to pay more tip for a New York Strip Steak at Outback as opposed to a bowl of clam chowder at Outback. Same place. Same service. But different priced meals. We're talking about the expectation that we pay 15% of the total bill, regardless of what the bill is, at a given restaraunt, and how the server didn't put themselves out any extra to bring you your strip steak as opposed to bringing the clam chowder to the other table. So why do I have to pay 15% of 30 dollars, which would be $4.50, while the other guy only has to pay 15% of 15 dollars, which would be $2.75. Same service, so should be same tip. That's why I think we should just pay a flat dollar amount.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom