Tipping with Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

autigger

My family and I are headed to Disney World on Sunday and we will be on the dining plan.:sohappy:

I understand that tips are included on the dining plan, but I am curious as to how much tip is included. Also, is it customary to tip beyond what the dining plan provides for good service?:veryconfu

I'm not disputing that. But when I compare the smaller prices and the larger prices, I'm not comparing two different restaraunts. I'm comparing two different meals in the same restaraunt. I'm not talking about paying 5 bucks at Fazolli's for the spagetti as opposed to 20 bucks at Olive Garden for the Veal Parmisian. I'm talking about going to the Olive Garden and paying 10 bucks for the spagetti and meatballs as opposed to 20 bucks for the Veal. So the service is the same. That's why I don't get the percentage thing. If I pay a 15 percent tip on 20 dollars and the guy across the room pays 15 percent on 10 dollars, the dollar amount extra that I pay isn't for service because he and I got the same service. We ate at the same place.

So what if we both go to Olive Garden...you order the spaghetti and I order the calamari appetizer, spaghetti for dinner, and the chocolate lasagna for dessert. Should I leave more because I required her to do more work or because my meal cost more or should I not leave more at all?

Upvote 0

sbkline

So what if we both go to Olive Garden...you order the spaghetti and I order the calamari appetizer, spaghetti for dinner, and the chocolate lasagna for dessert. Should I leave more because I required her to do more work or because my meal cost more or should I not leave more at all?

I can understand the argument that you should leave more because you required her to do more work. But that's just it...the higher tip is NOT based on the fact that you paid more. It's based on the fact that you required her to do more work. So it's back to the service thing again. You're tipping higher because of service, not because of the dollar amount of your order.

On the other hand, if I order the spagetti for 14.75 and you order the veal parmisian for $24.75, your meal isn't requiring any more work than mine is. So I don't think you should be expected to pay more of a tip just because you ordered a higher priced item.

Again, as I said, I don't necessarily live by these guidelines. I tend to just throw a couple bucks on the table. And again, perhaps I should plan to tip 4 or 5 dollars in the future and not just 2.

Upvote 0

musketeer

I can understand the argument that you should leave more because you required her to do more work. But that's just it...the higher tip is NOT based on the fact that you paid more. It's based on the fact that you required her to do more work. So it's back to the service thing again. You're tipping higher because of service, not because of the dollar amount of your order.

On the other hand, if I order the spagetti for 14.75 and you order the veal parmisian for $24.75, your meal isn't requiring any more work than mine is. So I don't think you should be expected to pay more of a tip just because you ordered a higher priced item.

Again, as I said, I don't necessarily live by these guidelines. I tend to just throw a couple bucks on the table. And again, perhaps I should plan to tip 4 or 5 dollars in the future and not just 2.

Amazing...I was just about to respond with nearly the identical example.

Upvote 0

RedBaron

You shouldn't. That is exactly what is going on here. People think that being a waiter is a great job because you get paid so much instantly in tips. Nevermind that the tips need to be earned. It is just assumed that by being the waiter, they are entitled to that benefit, regardless. In fact, it seems to be a common belief that they are entitled to the 15% as an absolute minimum, even if little to no service is provided at all, and that leaving a 15% tip is rude in of itself, and that the absolute minimum should be 18% to 20%...

Save your energy talking about the actual real meaning of the word TIP, no one will listen (or at least they won't want to listen).

This reminds me of a funny story. My mom and a few of her lady frineds were having their quartly lunch date at a decent restaurant. When the bill came one of the ladies calculated/split the bill and told everyone what they owed and paid up. (It turns out that they accidentally calculated wrong and the person did not get the full 15-20%)They gave the server the money and a few minutes later the server had the gaul to come up to the ladies ranting that she makes her living on tips and was upset that she was shortchanged. :eek: I guess my mom and friends are much nicer than I would have been since they did caugh up some more money for the server. I thought that was a lot of nerve on the servers part.

Anyhow back to the original topic, I think that the 18% tip that you are already paying as part of the dining plan is enough. If the server really knocked your socks off leave them a few more dollars if you want, but dont feel obligated.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

PLUS, when a server gets DDP, they already are getting a much heftier bill. I know I wouldn't order dessert and aps. So the average bill prob goes up at least 1.5X if not double. That means even a moderate tipper would be giving up around double with the DDP. The waiters are making LOTS more now. So don't feel sorry for them by any means. But if you are generous, don't let DDP limit your generousity.

Upvote 0

zjer

Justify it all you want, but a $2 tip at a nice sit down restaurant is still crap. It's just the cheap trying to convince others that they are not cheap.:brick:

Upvote 0

MissM

Justify it all you want, but a $2 tip at a nice sit down restaurant is still crap. It's just the cheap trying to convince others that they are not cheap.:brick:
Agreed. A $2 tip is just mean, cheap and downright rude.
-m

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
OK, if I see any more bickering, this topic is finished.

The IRS taxes wait staff as if they get a 15% tip, and restaurant owners are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage, and expect them to make up the difference in tips. If they DON'T get at least 15% in tips, then they end up paying to work! The amount the IRS estimates they will make in tips is calculated on what the restaurant makes in sales, which is why the tip is based on price, not service.

I don't agree with the system, but until it changes (thereby raising the cost of restaurant meals) I will always tip at least 15-18%, more if the service is outstanding.

Upvote 0

sbkline

The IRS taxes wait staff as if they get a 15% tip, and restaurant owners are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage, and expect them to make up the difference in tips. If they DON'T get at least 15% in tips, then they end up paying to work! The amount the IRS estimates they will make in tips is calculated on what the restaurant makes in sales, which is why the tip is based on price, not service.

I don't agree with the system, but until it changes (thereby raising the cost of restaurant meals) I will always tip at least 15-18%, more if the service is outstanding.

So if you really want to get technical about it, the 15%-18% tip only makes up for their lost wages and causes the server to make what he should have made to begin with. If you really want to give a true tip, ie, a little something extra, we would pay the 15%-18% and then give a little extra on top of that. Would that be an accurate way to sum it up?

Upvote 0

AEfx

Wow, never saw such a bunch of cheapskates in my life, LOL. Rants about how things don't work to your liking still aren't changing the issue. In the USA a waitperson does not even get a minimum hourly wage wage. What is it, like $3/hour? If you don't like the conventions of how the restaurant service industry works in the U.S., then don't go...protest. The restaurants SHOULD pay more, but they don't, and the law has a special exception so they don't have to. If you don't like the system, don't patronize it, but penalizing someone for trying to make an honest living serving your whims is just tacky and shows a great lack of class.

As to the actual original post, you didn't mention if you are going free or not. If you are going free, then yes, personally I would leave extra. When you get a $250 bill for a TS meal, it just doesn't seem right in a karmic way for me to not be a little generous and leave something on top of the included tip. It makes me feel good, it makes the server feel good, and what's $10 or $20 when you just ate ten to twenty times that in free food. I realize other people are out to take all they can get for free without concern, and that's their choice. If you are paying for the dining plan, then 18% is obviously sufficent if the service was good, though for extra good service I'd still leave a bit more. I don't eat out a lot at home, so at WDW I don't mind making up for some of those cheapskates out there who don't appriciate good service...apparently there are more out there than I knew.

AEfx

Upvote 0

quote]

I always tip based on price because...well that's what my mom taught me. I guess I never thought about or realized that this is how taxes work when you get tips! Good to know.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Actually, tip/taxes w/the gov't aren't based on 15%. They are based on 7%. If a server doesn't average at least 7 % of their sales in tips for the pay period, they will be rounded up. This is to average out times where tips are only 3% and when they are 22%. I don't know where you heard 15%, but you are wrong.

Upvote 0

musketeer

Agreed. A $2 tip is just mean, cheap and downright rude.
-m

I went to lunch today with my co-workers. My portion came to $9. I left $11. I must be mean, cheap, and downright rude, even though I left 22%.

You're statement needs some qualification, you can't just make a blanket statement that leaving a $2 is mean, cheap, and downright rude. Because I take great offense to that because I left much more than customary with my $2 tip.

Upvote 0

AEfx

I went to lunch today with my co-workers. My portion came to $9. I left $11. I must be mean, cheap, and downright rude, even though I left 22%.

You're statement needs some qualification, you can't just make a blanket statement that leaving a $2 is mean, cheap, and downright rude. Because I take great offense to that because I left much more than customary with my $2 tip.

I think if you actually read the quote Miss M was replying to, the discussion was about a meal at a "nice sit down restaurant", and people were discussing $20-25 per person meals, not a $8.95 burger at Ruby Tuesdays.

I don't think you need to take offense to her comments. If your whole party had only left $2, yes, that would have been cheap. I don't think she was targeting those sharing lunch with co-workers. ;)

She's just as offended as I am about people talking about 5 and even 10% tips. It's one thing for people who aren't used to the American system that do not understand it (in some countries, a tip really is a gratuity, not culturally considered part of the bill and without laws allowing sub-minimum wage for pay), but I just didn't realize how much resentment some people had about the subject. If I felt so strongly I just wouldn't go out to eat, because I'd not only be supporting a system I didn't believe in, but I would be taking it out on the person who brings me my food. Talk about killing the messenger...

AEfx

Upvote 0

MissM

She's just as offended as I am about people talking about 5 and even 10% tips. It's one thing for people who aren't used to the American system that do not understand it (in some countries, a tip really is a gratuity, not culturally considered part of the bill and without laws allowing sub-minimum wage for pay), but I just didn't realize how much resentment some people had about the subject. If I felt so strongly I just wouldn't go out to eat, because I'd not only be supporting a system I didn't believe in, but I would be taking it out on the person who brings me my food. Talk about killing the messenger...

AEfx
Exactly! Thank you for putting it so well. :)
-m

Upvote 0

Erika

Yes I already stated in a previous post that I have been a server before. 15% was not a dream where I worked, and it wasn't even a ritzy restaurant. i guess I just lived in a place where people knew how to tip. If you did a great job and got 7% it would be a slap in the face.

I would be interested to know if tipping average varies by region. Where I come from the people I know would be way too embarassed to leave 7% but other people say it's par for the course.

I've seen people sneak back and add money when another person in their party only left 12-15%.

Upvote 0

kachow

I've been in and out of this post, so I haven't read everything, but look, we all know the "by the book" tip is 15%, up to 20% if you felt the service was noticeably good, less if it was noticeably bad. Period. Do you have to do it? No. But don't try to rationalize it. You're cheap. That's it. It's not a huge black mark against you, but it is something that makes all your non-cheap friends/family cringe when you do it, because they know it's not proper ettiquette.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom