Tiki Room Reopening

puntagordabob

There's the Catch The Fever show from Tokyo from earlier in this decade. I thought it was fantastic, even if it was mostly in Japanese. They did a basic soundtrack for it in English, which is paired up with video of the Tokyo show at this Youtube clip... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWdb0K5JHg

Ive seen that.... no thanks. Also that would be much more costly to implement so they wouldnt like to do that anyways....which is in this case is a not a bad thing! :)
what a shame, but instead of all of us "" about it on a forum, why not all call disney and let them know what we think. I'm sure it'll fall on dead ears, but its worth a shot. I as 95% of the rest of the community would love to see it restored to Walt's original visionQUOTE]

I have done that...and will of course keep doing it.

acr123

what a shame, but instead of all of us "" about it on a forum, why not all call disney and let them know what we think. I'm sure it'll fall on dead ears, but its worth a shot. I as 95% of the rest of the community would love to see it restored to Walt's original vision, but today, attractions are made to be "kid friendly" or more "up to date" which ruins it for us nostalgia seekers.QUOTE]

I agree. THIS IS THE TIME TO SPEAK UP. I would suggest writing to Disney instead of phone calls. It is my understanding that phone calls are basically ignored but letters are collected and taken more seriously. I dont know who our suggestion should be mailed to though. If anyone has any suggestions I know I would appreciate that information and would seriously take part in a letter petition to bring the original show back.

I dont believe the original show is entertaining just for "nostalgia" seekers. To be honest I was about 12 -13 when I saw the old show and I dont remember the entire thing that well but I DO remember it was MUCH better than the current version. I wouldnt object to tweaks to the old show but the "new management" brings a harsh and crass tone to something that should be a animatronic visual spectical and tropical themed music to match. Would be cool if they could install a tiny "world of color" type fountain show in there and some amazing light affects!

Anyway what do you say? Who will commit to write in and share our feelings its time to bring the old management back to the Tiki Room!!

Gomer

I agree. It is absolutely time to change back to the original version. I had a brief 4 hour stop in Disneyland a few months back. One of the things I felt I had to do was make a stop at Tiki to see if I was viewing the old version through rose colored glasses.

That version is fantastic. Not only did I love it, but it played to a packed house of families, adults AND teens/young adults who seemed to enjoy it as well.

I wonder if a mixed group of guests has ever walked out of UNM all having loved it. It was a real eye opener and just made me even more depressed that it is gone in WDW.

The Mouse

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the "new" mgmt? While Tropical Serenade was of high quality this isn't something that bothers me that much.

puntagordabob

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the "new" mgmt? While Tropical Serenade was of high quality this isn't something that bothers me that much.

You are not the only one..but there are very very very FEW of you...

NO hes not the only one. I really dont see the big deal either way to be honest. When i went back to WDW and it was under "new" management i thought it was pretty cool.

But like all of you, we have our opinions

When is the last time you ever saw the original version? Have you EVER seen the original version in person?

T-1MILLION

NO hes not the only one. I really dont see the big deal either way to be honest. When i went back to WDW and it was under "new" management i thought it was pretty cool.

But like all of you, we have our opinions

Well another reason it fails (trying to remain unbias to anything)

is that you essentially have a parody/sequel to the original. That does no good if someone does not have knowledge of the original show.

That is why I am hoping Star Tours does not reopen with TONS of inside jokes to the original, that this will be a prequel too.

Also, ya know. Movie characters put into an original format not only seem forced with the more natural looking birds but also dates an attraction much quicker.

aladdin2007

Well another reason it fails (trying to remain unbias to anything)

is that you essentially have a parody/sequel to the original. That does no good if someone does not have knowledge of the original show.

That is why I am hoping Star Tours does not reopen with TONS of inside jokes to the original, that this will be a prequel too.

Also, ya know. Movie characters put into an original format not only seem forced with the more natural looking birds but also dates an attraction much quicker.

True, and the music in this case has dated it much worse. They should never have installed this version unless they had a concrete plan to go back and change it again within 8 to 10 years. Which clearly they didnt. And now its taken a small fire incident to wake them up.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes ive seen it with my own eyes off and on for years since i was 10,thats over 25 years ive been going to WDW and WDL off and on. So now is there a point to that question?

I believe the point was to try and discredit your opinion. :shrug:

zooey

Honestly, I wouldn't mind any show as long as it was tweaked just so the original Tiki Room song could be sung in full.
When they are about 15 seconds in to singing that fantastic Sherman brothers original and then Iago (Gilbert Gottfried, :hurl:) and his shrill voice interrupts the song. Personally, I think it is a slap in the face. And as a gag, it's unbelievably dated, so much so that the majority of people don't even get it anymore. It might have been funny the first time, when UNM was new and long time guests see the show starting the way it always did until the 90s birds are introduced, but now, its reference points are banal and stale. If UNM has to come back, for the love of god TDO, at least tweak the show with a new script and songs.

aladdin2007

Honestly, I wouldn't mind any show as long as it was tweaked just so the original Tiki Room song could be sung in full.
When they are about 15 seconds in to singing that fantastic Sherman brothers original and then Iago (Gilbert Gottfried, :hurl:) and his shrill voice interrupts the song. Personally, I think it is a slap in the face. And as a gag, it's unbelievably dated, so much so that the majority of people don't even get it anymore. It might have been funny the first time, when UNM was new and long time guests see the show starting the way it always did until the 90s birds are introduced, but now, its reference points are banal and stale. If UNM has to come back, for the love of god TDO, at least tweak the show with a new script and songs.

Amen to that!!!! Read that one TDO.

puntagordabob

Yes ive seen it with my own eyes off and on for years since i was 10,thats over 25 years ive been going to WDW
and WDL off and on. So now is there a point to that question?

WDL? I assume you are referring to DLR ("D"isney"L"and "R"esort)???

The reason is simple...some people respond to topics and it is later discovered they had never actually had any experience with it lol

csm

WDL? I assume you are referring to DLR ("D"isney"L"and "R"esort)???

The reason is simple...some people respond to topics and it is later discovered they had never actually had any experience with it lol

Referring to Disneyland as "WDL" (assumed to mean Walt Disneyland) does not help that impression either!

JeffH

We love the new UNM version, too...

Personally I think that the only people who preferred the old show to UNM are those you see posting in this thread (about a dozen people).
Because the old show was so...blah...people walked out on it almost every show I attended (and I enjoyed the old show many times during my hundred or so days at WDW before the show was changed)
...but the fact is people walked out of old show ...(annoyingly) in the middle of the show, almost every show I was at, ...apparently embarrassed of how stupid they thought it was ...(I didn't agree.), just a bunch of robot birds singing tropical songs.
The new show, however, incorporates most of the original while adding the interaction of identifiable Disney characters with the original and the fabulous new tiki goddess with humor and upbeat music ...we love the new show and see it regularly...And I've never seen anyone walk out on THIS show. And UNM draws about the same or better then the original.
ALTHOUGH I DO AGREE that the new show should be a little longer and letting them sing that fantastic Sherman brothers original longer would be GREAT, with Yago waiting until the very end to interrupt.

puntagordabob

Referring to Disneyland as "WDL" (assumed to mean Walt Disneyland) does not help that impression either!

Yeah thats what I was kind of thinking......

Personally I think that the only people who preferred the old show to UNM are those you see posting in this thread (about a dozen people)..

Are you serious? lol... UNM has been reviled for a very long time on and off the net....

Not trying to be funny, but I have never met anyone in person who "Loves" UNM....I imagine they exist....but imho your number 12 actually may correspond to the total number on the entire internet that LIKES UNM. :()

Because the old show was so...blah...people walked out on it almost every show I attended (and I enjoyed the old show many times during my hundred or so days at WDW before the show was changed)
...but the fact is people walked out of old show ...(annoyingly) in the middle of the show, almost every show I was at, ...apparently embarrassed of how stupid they thought it was ...(I didn't agree.), just a bunch of robot birds singing tropical songs.)..

True people were walking out in droves! TDO had allowed the Tiki Room to be in terrible shape (a pattern that has been reported with other attractions)...roof leaks....AA Birds not working and dropping feathers (they were not supposed to!)....AA Flowers with broken mouths dangling...etc... People do not like experiencing an attraction that is falling apart from neglect as it was in the 90s..... then add to that the Offenbach number which is a sleep-maker I will admit and you have your causes. WDW game us UNM and it is just horrible. DLR opted rather to remove the Offenbach number (and a couple other short changes) and to return the attraction to its "like new" condition. At DLR the showa are almost always packed with crowds singing, whistling, and getting into the show Young & Old alike. WHEN the UNM show can pull out that kind of Audience Love then we can favorably compare the two shows, but that is NOT currently the case.

The new show, however, incorporates most of the original while adding the interaction of identifiable Disney characters with the original and the fabulous new tiki goddess with humor and upbeat music ...we love the new show and see it regularly...And I've never seen anyone walk out on THIS show. And UNM draws about the same or better then the original.)..

I have walked out on this show. I have seen many people walk out on this show. The Tiki Goddess while being a very cool AA does not belong in the Tiki Room...there is nothing Polynesian about her.....nor is there anything Polynesian about Gloria Estefan (sorry if I typoed the name, and for the record I like her music from the 80s...it just doesnt belong here), nor does the other musical choices in UNM..... the humor is tasteless.... UNM took a timeless classic and ripped out all that was good about it leaving a very very shallow and abrasive show that is an insult in my opinion to what Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (or The Enchanted Tiki Birds at the MK).

The Enchanted Tiki Room is Polynesian....UNM is not.... The Enchanted Tiki Room is a timeless classic...UNM is not

ALTHOUGH I DO AGREE that the new show should be a little longer and letting them sing that fantastic Sherman brothers original longer would be GREAT, with Yago waiting until the very end to interrupt.

Yago? It is IAGO isnt it? He should have never been put in there..... perhaps he could have been incorporated into the preshow...but inside he is like fingernails screeching on a chalkboard imho.

Criswell3000

Well, I have not been to the UNM show at WDW, but my family just saw the disneyland version last august. My understanding is that this is the original show, more or less. It is dated, but really fun. My whole family liked it quite a bit. It's just a little long perhaps.

csm

Not trying to be funny, but I have never met anyone in person who "Loves" UNM....I imagine they exist....but imho your number 12 actually may correspond to the total number on the entire internet that LIKES UNM. :()

Hey look, it's only fair that I speak for both sides - I'm not trying to be funny either, I actually greatly prefer Under New Management to the original Tropical Serenade. I recognize that I'm in the minority and that's ok. I like that the new show has much more conflict, more emotion, more sense of urgency - I just find it to be more exciting. And as someone else mentioned, the Tiki Goddess animatronic is just superb!

I'd kill for the Stitch version though. Especially if it gets him out of Tomorrowland in the process!

TinkerBell9988

If TDO had any respect for park history (or good quality attractions at all), the Tiki Room would be restored to its original state (at least for a year) for the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. They could market it as an "original" attraction from opening day, and I bet it would attract an audience (as long as the marketing and signage was done right, of course). It could be done in a similar manner a la Disneyland's 50th; specific "original" attractions were singled out from the rest by the presence of a "golden" version of the ride vehicle attributed to that attraction. For example, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride had a golden car in front of the ride entrance, which provided great photo opportunities and focus on the actual attraction itself. I understand the Tiki Room is a show and is lacking a ride vehicle, but I'm sure some smart people working for TDO could figure out a way to highlight attractions that have been around since 10-1-71 (Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Peoplemover, etc).

I'm a frequent Disneyland-er, and every show I have seen at the Enchanted Tiki Room has been almost a full house. Granted, you should all take into consideration the location of the attraction: it is RIGHT at the entrance to Adventureland, behind the Dole snack stand. It is a very very very busy area. The entrance is not blocked by a large spinner (*ahem*, Magic Carpets), and the entrance is also right in your face. I always thought that, with the addition of the Magic Carpets, the entrance for the MK Tiki Room was a tad "hidden" or did not attract much focus because of all the hustle and bustle caused by the spinners.

Its too bad that I enjoy Disneyland's Magic Kingdom more than I enjoy the Magic Kingdom with which I grew up. Its a sad day that I have come to admit that. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom