Tiki Room Reopening

csm

If TDO had any respect for park history (or good quality attractions at all), the Tiki Room would be restored to its original state (at least for a year) for the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. They could market it as an "original" attraction from opening day, and I bet it would attract an audience (as long as the marketing and signage was done right, of course). It could be done in a similar manner a la Disneyland's 50th; specific "original" attractions were singled out from the rest by the presence of a "golden" version of the ride vehicle attributed to that attraction.

That's just it though - 50 matters. 40 means nothing. In ten years, that sort of treatment is *entirely* appropriate. There's really nothing nostalgic about 40 years though, unless you are naive enough to buy into marketing fluff.

Not to go too far off topic here, but Disneyland only got one thing for their 40th. It just so happened to be the greatest attraction any Disney theme park has ever seen. But I'm not bitter. Ok I'm really bitter.

TinkerBell9988

That's just it though - 50 matters. 40 means nothing. In ten years, that sort of treatment is *entirely* appropriate. There's really nothing nostalgic about 40 years though, unless you are naive enough to buy into marketing fluff.

Not to go too far off topic here, but Disneyland only got one thing for their 40th. It just so happened to be the greatest attraction any Disney theme park has ever seen. But I'm not bitter. Ok I'm really bitter.

I'm not saying that 40 is a big number or a significant number. I am just saying that if TDO wanted to commemorate the resort in general, using a "revamped" Tiki Room would be a great way to do it.

In another sense, I think anything lasting 40 years is quite a feat. But I suppose for marketing purposes, 50 is a more attractive number, especially if viewed from the corporate angle in attempts to generate revenue in the parks.

I'm in marketing, so that's how my brain works... ;) I guess you can say I like fluff because I work with it.

Also, I totally agree on the Indiana Jones comment. It is indeed a great attraction and one of my all-time favorites out of DLR and WDW combined.

csm

I'm not saying that 40 is a big number or a significant number. I am just saying that if TDO wanted to commemorate the resort in general, using a "revamped" Tiki Room would be a great way to do it.

In another sense, I think anything lasting 40 years is quite a feat. But I suppose for marketing purposes, 50 is a more attractive number, especially if viewed from the corporate angle in attempts to generate revenue in the parks.

I guess what I'm getting at is, SAVE IT, do it right for the 50th when it will have a bigger impact. In fact, Enchanted Tiki Room WAS actually one of the attractions that got a full ground up big time refurbishment for Disneyland's 50th. Frequent visitors described it as feeling like a brand new show. Clearly I'm not the biggest Tiki fan so I wouldn't really be able to tell you the differences, but it opened to rave reviews. But again, that's the kind of tug at your heartstrings junk people eat up for a big anniversary like the 50th, and that's why it shouldn't be just wasted on the 40th.

I'm in marketing, so that's how my brain works... ;) I guess you can say I like fluff because I work with it.

Oh - you're one of those. :fork:

haha :wave:

Jrn14

Honestly, I find the current attraction to be very underated... maybe it's because I never saw the original attraction, but I find UNM to be fun and entertaining and the animatronics are pretty impressive (which I think is the whole point of the thing). Granted I wouldn't object to some changes but I hope the attraction always remains in one form or another.

People act like it's at the bottom of the barrel but I would rank it higher than.

Country Bears
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Stitch's Great Escape
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
Speedway
Any of the Spinners/Teacups/Carosel
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Turtle Talk
Seas with Nemo
Journey into Imagination
Backlot Tour
Narnia
Sounds Dangerous
The THree callboleros
etc.....

T-1MILLION

Honestly, I find the current attraction to be very underated... maybe it's because I never saw the original attraction, but I find UNM to be fun and entertaining and the animatronics are pretty impressive (which I think is the whole point of the thing). Granted I wouldn't object to some changes but I hope the attraction always remains in one form or another.

People act like it's at the bottom of the barrel but I would rank it higher than.

Country Bears
Stitch's Great Escape
Speedway
Turtle Talk
Seas with Nemo
Journey into Imagination
Backlot Tour
Narnia
Sounds Dangerous
The THree callboleros
etc.....

You are enttieled to your opinions and some of those attractions you mentioned were never the same name classic show with a different parody put in its place. Regardless, it is all taste and you are entitled to it.

That being said let us look at it this way....June is the talk of getting it back. They are not exactly in a rush to reopen it..if it does.

puntagordabob

Yeah, lets pray that June is when they spring a restoration of the Tiki Room to its earlier state as part of its 40th anniv and memories campaign for WDW.... the fire sure has made this an opportune moment....

TinkerBell9988

I guess what I'm getting at is, SAVE IT, do it right for the 50th when it will have a bigger impact. In fact, Enchanted Tiki Room WAS actually one of the attractions that got a full ground up big time refurbishment for Disneyland's 50th. Frequent visitors described it as feeling like a brand new show. Clearly I'm not the biggest Tiki fan so I wouldn't really be able to tell you the differences, but it opened to rave reviews. But again, that's the kind of tug at your heartstrings junk people eat up for a big anniversary like the 50th, and that's why it shouldn't be just wasted on the 40th.

Oh - you're one of those. :fork:

haha :wave:

I agree somewhat, but I also believe firmly that in some cases, there is no time like the present. :) Give the MK something for 2011, since beginning in 2012-2013, New Fantasyland will be the cat's meow for that park.

:wave: back atcha.

aladdin2007

Yeah, lets pray that June is when they spring a restoration of the Tiki Room to its earlier state as part of its 40th anniv and memories campaign for WDW.... the fire sure has made this an opportune moment....

Totally agree, but does TDO realize this is the question. It would not surprise me in the least if they didnt. sadly.

disnyfan89

Original Poster
The reason the tiki room is closed till june is becuase they have to inspect all the birds for water damage. Correct what ever issue caused the fire. Repair the fire damage and wait for the new Iago figure to be built.

Duckberg

TWO Different ENCHANTMENTS

Appears the Disney Co. views the DL Tiki Room & the WDW Tiki Room in two different ways. The former as a loved vintage attraction & the other as ho hum attraction! Duckberg :cool:

aladdin2007

The reason the tiki room is closed till june is becuase they have to inspect all the birds for water damage. Correct what ever issue caused the fire. Repair the fire damage and wait for the new Iago figure to be built.

Great, if they are building another from scratch, then were stuck with UNM for another ten years or more. :brick:

JustInTime

Country Bears
Stitch's Great Escape
Speedway
Turtle Talk
Seas with Nemo
Journey into Imagination
Backlot Tour
Narnia
Sounds Dangerous
The THree callboleros
etc.....

I actually agree! I enjoyed UNM. I wouldn't mind seeing the original back though!

disnyfan89

Original Poster

Country Bears
Stitch's Great Escape
Speedway
Turtle Talk
Seas with Nemo
Journey into Imagination
Backlot Tour
Narnia
Sounds Dangerous
The THree callboleros
etc.....

Id sit through sounds dangerous and stitch a 1000 times each if I could get iago out of the tiki room

CitizenRob

Exactly. Since when are Culture and Ethnic traits a racist thing? They are what they are, nothing wrong with that and it makes sense that the birds from these regions would be personofied with these voices.

Never said anything about it being 'Racist', it's just old and cheap 'ethnic' humor that doesn't have a place in the 'Magic Kingdom' in this day and age. There's nothing wrong with 'Culture And Ethnic' traits, but a bunch of white guys doing silly versions of someone's accents can offend. I'd love to see the 'New Management' fly the coop and get an sort of updated version of the original show. Maybe even update the Audio-Animatronics for the 'main' characters. And you gotta have the original songs.

puntagordabob

Never said anything about it being 'Racist', it's just old and cheap 'ethnic' humor that doesn't have a place in the 'Magic Kingdom' in this day and age. There's nothing wrong with 'Culture And Ethnic' traits, but a bunch of white guys doing silly versions of someone's accents can offend. I'd love to see the 'New Management' fly the coop and get an sort of updated version of the original show. Maybe even update the Audio-Animatronics for the 'main' characters. And you gotta have the original songs.

LOL the accents offend? Hahaha thats a riot!!! Seriously, that is rediculous and I wonder what Walt Disney would think of that comment? Probably would not be impressed imho!

Dont be messing with Jose!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom