Tiki Room Reopening

flavious27

iago.jpg

disnyfan89

Original Poster
Despite the disappointment in the return of UNM one of the reasons the atrraction will be closed till june is cause they are performing a refurb of sorts.

ToTBellHop

Between the fire and water damage...like they had a choice.
How lame...animatronics aren't cheap (and Iago is actually a pretty good one. Obnoxious, but good). Can't believe they are wasting a pretty significant amount of money to bring back a show that has managed to become more dated in 10 years than the original show has in nearly 50 years. Gloria Estefan?

puntagordabob

Guys don't forget the Tiki Room Movie is coming up! They may change it back for that!

And fyi, I enjoy both versions.

A movie? lol joke yeah?

How lame...animatronics aren't cheap (and Iago is actually a pretty good one. Obnoxious, but good). Can't believe they are wasting a pretty significant amount of money to bring back a show that has managed to become more dated in 10 years than the original show has in nearly 50 years. Gloria Estefan?

Its amazing isnt it? giant waste of money to bring UNM when they could bring in the original again ....its what most people seem to want... not sure what they (TDO) are thinking.

disnyfan89

Original Poster
I always though iago looked like a pile of red crap compared to how perfectly Zazu looked

Enchantâmes

See its decisions like this that have drove to just go to DLR from now on. WDW has gotten to be too stressful, and not to mention they don't care enough about their guests to keep things up to par. DLR never lost it's Tiki room and it still packs them in almost every show.

aladdin2007

I wouldn't be set on that info just yet. Everything is very tight-lipped right now.. on the future of Tiki. With the 40th right around the corner, returning the show to its original grandeur is something that's in talks. Proposals to return a lot of Adventureland's former aesthetics are happening as we speak. Restoring the land's many snuffed out tiki torches being one of them.

Thanks for your info, I do hope your right and that they are "reconsidering". June seems like a fairly good chunk of time before reopening that they may be doing something more than we know, surely it doesnt take that long to replace an animatronic and some other damage? Its their chance to get in there and make it good again. TDO doesnt even realize there is a 40th this year probably except for the merch department, thats how :hammer:they are.

Raven? paging Raven, Lee? anyone else on the matter?

CitizenRob

Yeah! Ethnic stereotype humor NEVER goes out of style! Ja, it's Offenbach! :dazzle: Maybe they could bring back the original show and maybe add a black parrot who just wants some FRIED CHICKEN (Watch out Pablo, the new Mexican Chicken character!) and maybe an evil Muslim bird who wears a turban and wants to blow up the other Tiki birds! YAY!

Enchantâmes

Yeah! Ethnic stereotype humor NEVER goes out of style! Ja, it's Offenbach! :dazzle: Maybe they could bring back the original show and maybe add a black parrot who just wants some FRIED CHICKEN (Watch out Pablo, the new Mexican Chicken character!) and maybe an evil Muslim bird who wears a turban and wants to blow up the other Tiki birds! YAY!
What in Polynesia are you talking about? :veryconfu

CitizenRob

What in Polynesia are you talking about? :veryconfu

The original show. I take it you've never saw it. It had old timey, very cheap 'ethnic' type humor. It was popular when the 'Enchanted Tiki Room' was created, but it would be considered VERY dated by now. The current show is just as bad (and dated) so it would be nice to get a NEW show. One that ages as well as some of the other classic Disney attractions.

Enchantâmes

The original show. I take it you've never saw it. It had old timey, very cheap 'ethnic' type humor. It was popular when the 'Enchanted Tiki Room' was created, but it would be considered VERY dated by now. The current show is just as bad (and dated) so it would be nice to get a NEW show. One that ages as well as some of the other classic Disney attractions.
I've seen it a thousand times (DLR) and I'd hardly call any of the jokes ethnic humor. The original show has never been called out for any sort of racism in its nearly 50 years at DLR and 25 years at WDW. Don't be a drama queen. :wave:

TP2000

I've seen it a thousand times (DLR) and I'd hardly call any of the jokes ethnic humor. The original show has never been called out for any sort of racism in its nearly 50 years at DLR and 25 years at WDW. Don't be a drama queen. :wave:

No kidding. I don't think he realizes the original 1963 show is playing to a packed house at Disneyland right now as we type. And no one has ever complained that the four emcee birds are French, Spanish, British and German.

What a very odd way to defend the WDW "New Management" version that is basically like attending a bad 1990's wedding reception. :lol:

T-1MILLION

No kidding. I don't think he realizes the original 1963 show is playing to a packed house at Disneyland right now as we type. And no one has ever complained that the four emcee birds are French, Spanish, British and German.

What a very odd way to defend the WDW "New Management" version that is basically like attending a bad 1990's wedding reception. :lol:

Exactly. Since when are Culture and Ethnic traits a racist thing? They are what they are, nothing wrong with that and it makes sense that the birds from these regions would be personofied with these voices.

Some people look to be offended I guess. The Muslim terrorist connection and most of that post was just uncalled for.

gustaftp

See its decisions like this that have drove to just go to DLR from now on. WDW has gotten to be too stressful, and not to mention they don't care enough about their guests to keep things up to par. DLR never lost it's Tiki room and it still packs them in almost every show.

DLR almost lost the Tiki Room due to wood rot and termites. Maintenance at Disneyland got really rough in the late 90s and early 00s, and it wasn't until accidents started occuring that the house was cleaned and the place was fixed up. I still remember going to DL's Tiki Room back in 2001, and being appalled at the broken and dirty animatronics, extremely poor preshow courtyard, and broken effects. Some "New Management" would've honestly been an improvement at that point.

I just got back from WDW, and I personally feel that it has improved significantly from when I visited in 2008, with the exception of the closure of Pleasure Island. But I can say with absolute certainty that WDW of 2008 blew away Disneyland of 2001.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Over the last 5 years, I've made three trips to DLR, 2 in the summer (busy time), and "pack them in" seems to be an overstatement based on those experiences. About 3/4 full during the summer, and 1/2 full on the one fall trip.

Still, I do prefer the original to UNM.

I hereby nominate the above comment for "post of the day."

I second that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom