Tiki Room Reopening

puntagordabob

See its decisions like this that have drove to just go to DLR from now on. WDW has gotten to be too stressful, and not to mention they don't care enough about their guests to keep things up to par. DLR never lost it's Tiki room and it still packs them in almost every show.

Yeah...being 2 hours by car from WDW makes that sorta an unhappy $$$ alternative...but I must admit we visited DLR in October and I was amazed at some of the contrasts.... I LOVE WDW dont get me wrong! But DLR seems to have a different attitude about itself that just screams "We care more about Quality"...spending our money in that environment is not unpleasent! :)

Thanks for your info, I do hope your right and that they are "reconsidering". June seems like a fairly good chunk of time before reopening that they may be doing something more than we know, surely it doesnt take that long to replace an animatronic and some other damage? Its their chance to get in there and make it good again. TDO doesnt even realize there is a 40th this year probably except for the merch department, thats how :hammer:they are.

Raven? paging Raven, Lee? anyone else on the matter?

Goodness I sure hope they are going to surprise us with the original show... now that would have me dancing from the main gates to the Tiki Room!

The original show. I take it you've never saw it. It had old timey, very cheap 'ethnic' type humor. It was popular when the 'Enchanted Tiki Room' was created, but it would be considered VERY dated by now. The current show is just as bad (and dated) so it would be nice to get a NEW show. One that ages as well as some of the other classic Disney attractions.

Are you kidding me? Seriously that is really not anywhere near the truth.

I've seen it a thousand times (DLR) and I'd hardly call any of the jokes ethnic humor. The original show has never been called out for any sort of racism in its nearly 50 years at DLR and 25 years at WDW. Don't be a drama queen. :wave:

Yep....and you know if it was going to be it would have been done a long time ago lol

No kidding. I don't think he realizes the original 1963 show is playing to a packed house at Disneyland right now as we type. And no one has ever complained that the four emcee birds are French, Spanish, British and German.

What a very odd way to defend the WDW "New Management" version that is basically like attending a bad 1990's wedding reception. :lol:

Yep.....we were at Disneyland as recently as October so I can verify this is indeed true!

Attending UNM show is like having someone grate their fingernails onto a chalk board after 23 hours.....and then have someone ask you "Enter the UNM show or else another 23 hours!" and you respond "You better get a new chalkboard cuz its gonna be a long night!" ;)

danv3

Very disappointing news if true. I'm glad I'll be going to Disneyland in May. The Tiki Room holds a special place in my heart and I've been waiting for the "new" management to get the boot for about 10 years now.

sponono88

DLR almost lost the Tiki Room due to wood rot and termites. Maintenance at Disneyland got really rough in the late 90s and early 00s, and it wasn't until accidents started occuring that the house was cleaned and the place was fixed up. I still remember going to DL's Tiki Room back in 2001, and being appalled at the broken and dirty animatronics, extremely poor preshow courtyard, and broken effects. Some "New Management" would've honestly been an improvement at that point.

I just got back from WDW, and I personally feel that it has improved significantly from when I visited in 2008, with the exception of the closure of Pleasure Island. But I can say with absolute certainty that WDW of 2008 blew away Disneyland of 2001.

You're right - management let it fall into disrepair in the late 90s. But ever since the 50th anniversary in 2005, it looks fantastic and pretty much as good as new. The DL Tiki Room was freshened up from top to bottom, interior/exterior and all effects and AAs were given an extensive refurbishment.

puntagordabob

You're right - management let it fall into disrepair in the late 90s. But ever since the 50th anniversary in 2005, it looks fantastic and pretty much as good as new. The DL Tiki Room was freshened up from top to bottom, interior/exterior and all effects and AAs were given an extensive refurbishment.

That was pretty much the story at WDW back in the 90s too... both WDW and DLR tackled the solution to the problem differently. DLR has been proven correct, while WDW's solution has not been as popular as they had hoped, in fact it is likely in close running (a nose ahead imho) with SGE as the most reviled attraction on property/

zooey

32zpbeu.jpg

yensidfan1991

i wouldn't have minded as long as it set fire to it all and somehow miraculously the original came about and they just said ah lets keep this! haha... that i wouldn't have seen as a missed opportunity at all!

WDW FTW

i wouldn't have minded as long as it set fire to it all and somehow miraculously the original came about and they just said ah lets keep this! haha... that i wouldn't have seen as a missed opportunity at all!

haha as in the fire melted away the newer one and the old tiki room sprung from the ashes?

gustaftp

That was pretty much the story at WDW back in the 90s too... both WDW and DLR tackled the solution to the problem differently. DLR has been proven correct, while WDW's solution has not been as popular as they had hoped, in fact it is likely in close running (a nose ahead imho) with SGE as the most reviled attraction on property/

Stitch's Great Escape is still leaps-and-bounds better than "Sounds Dangerous". Sounds Dangerous was about the worst Disney attraction I'd ever been on -- it actually made me lose a little respect for Hollywood Studios. I can sit in the dark and listen to my iPod with my better headphones than the ones there and a more comfortable chair.

Magicot

Don't loose all hope yet. It is confirmed that Tiki will be down 'til atleast June. However, it is not yet confirmed what it will reopen as.. original show, UNM, or something entirely different. Everything is still up in the air as of now.

aladdin2007

Don't loose all hope yet. It is confirmed that Tiki will be down 'til atleast June. However, it is not yet confirmed what it will reopen as.. original show, UNM, or something entirely different. Everything is still up in the air as of now.

I would think within that time frame all they would be able to do is possibly return the original tropical seranade (hopefully), its probably not enough time for a brand new scenario or the tokyo stitch show.

disnyfan89

Original Poster
It's great to have hope but don't count on it being anything different. Of course I'd love to be wrong on this but based on the info I don't have much confidence that TDO is going to surprise us.

puntagordabob

I never give up hope that they will give us the Original show (Disneyland version of course)!!!! :) Certainly is doable in the time the Tiki Room will be closed.....

It's great to have hope but don't count on it being anything different. Of course I'd love to be wrong on this but based on the info I don't have much confidence that TDO is going to surprise us.

I would Love for you to be wrong on this one too.... I just cannot understand why TDO would invest more money into an AA (Iago) that is clearly not liked by the majority of the Guests... and after 12 years how can the show be called Under New Management anyways? LOL

TDO: Please give Jose back his show!!! The DLR show is what we need.....

WDWfanatic89

what a shame, but instead of all of us "" about it on a forum, why not all call disney and let them know what we think. I'm sure it'll fall on dead ears, but its worth a shot. I as 95% of the rest of the community would love to see it restored to Walt's original vision, but today, attractions are made to be "kid friendly" or more "up to date" which ruins it for us nostalgia seekers. Granted "Pirates" was "tastefully" improved, not all attractions turn it out properly i.e. Tiki Room. If it was up to me, Tiki would go back to its original state as Walt intended, Stitch would be kicked out and so would Laugh Floor as I'd love to see a new CircleVision come back into it. All the screens are still up as I'm told and the Laugh Floor is just a "set" built infront of the read building as it they've left the opportunity open for a CircleVision to come back. For once a smart move on their part. I'd also bring back the Skyway as specially with all the new construction it would be EPIC to get those amazing unique views back. I'd also love to bring back 20K in an "updated" manner, but I'm somewhat pleased with the Fantasyland Expansion, though bummed their "recylcing" the MTT tents. Like come on, get rid of them and be creative. But in the end, it all comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :fork:

Any who, my 2 cents. :ROFLOL: Also seeing Western River Expedition would've been epic too, but BTMR is close enough I suppose. (for those not knowledged on WRE, google it. IT WOULD'VE BEEN AMAZING).

TP2000

I would think within that time frame all they would be able to do is possibly return the original tropical seranade (hopefully), its probably not enough time for a brand new scenario or the tokyo stitch show.

There's the Catch The Fever show from Tokyo from earlier in this decade. I thought it was fantastic, even if it was mostly in Japanese. They did a basic soundtrack for it in English, which is paired up with video of the Tokyo show at this Youtube clip... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWdb0K5JHg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom