Ticket Price Increase

danv3

Looks like I will be ordering my tickets this weekend instead of July like planned...

Yep...I went ahead and ordered today. Saved $50 compared to the new price for DVC APs.

I was very surprised to see the increase coming out in June.

RSoxNo1

The larger separation between Magic Your Way days has me thinking that they're going to gradually shift back to the old model of tickets and phase out Magic Your Way.

COProgressFan

They haven't exactly talked about reducing discounts for "years now"
The talk actually began last year when Iger publically stated that they were going to quote "wheen" the discounts over the next year( that would be this year).
And you say it hasnt really happened, well one example that it is happening is free dining is gone that once was, also very very limited fall discounts into this sept that are for a week here and a week there, where last year it covered the whole month.

Rasulo publicly stated the reduction in discounts back at the end of '09, after they ran the Buy 4 get 3 days free promotion.

Oddysey

Starting to wonder if they are trying to reduce the number of AP's. Over $1,000 for a family of only two is probably out of reach for most people. My wife and I have been AP holders for years, and we had a some friends that are a family of 3 that were also AP holders. We went to the parks together for years, but after the last AP increase our friends decided not to renew. They could no longer justify the expense even though they really enjoy DW. I have to believe that this increase will cut out even more families. Especially in an uncertain economic climate.

menamechris

Original Poster
Well, I certainly don't think this will help boost attendance in the less popular park. Everyone is talking about how greedy this is - but I can't help but think about how desperate it seems. Its not the normal 5% increase - it exceeds that in many categories. Maybe the heads of Disney see some major problems/financial strain in the future that they need to start collecting for now. But in the meantime, all those execs have some major bonuses to look forward to. In fact, they are probably getting a bonus simply for implementing the price hike...

njDizFan

7% increase seems a little steep. In return let's see a 7% increase in attraction maintenance. with about 95 attractions, I will average it to 7 attractions.

1) fix the yeti
2) fix all effects in Dinosaur
3) finish SSE descent
4) new screen for Soarin
5) major refurb of JC
6) bring back LoW( I know not technically an attraction)
7) Peter Pan refurb

CJR

I saw this coming after Disney had to give all their employees raises.

Still, it makes me a little angry. Now, some people say demand is bigger than the supply. I'm proof that it's not for everyone since I won't be heading to Disney World any time soon and it's solely because of the cost. I haven't been satisfied the last several times I went to Disney with my AP so I just didn't get another one. I'm much happier not spending $500 a ticket anymore.

I do miss Disney's parks sometimes, but I quickly get over it. They aren't adding anything new that's worth going for (except Star Tours, which I got to experience). Some say FL expansion's worth it, but I don't have kids and am not going to pay the price to see two new mediocre (in my opinion) rides.

So, ok, I'm proof that people quit going when the prices rise. I'm cheap, most people aren't and I understand that. What I find pathetic is Disney's yearly logic in their press releases. "Our guests are happy so we're going to keep raising prices until they're not." That just screams "let's donate money to you." *sarcasm* Walt Disney once said quality will out. I wish Disney believed in that today. The new additions are great, but they let older things suffer. I mean look at Epcot's Future World. Look at anything non-Pixar or Star Wars related at DHS. Disney's not doing the best job they could do.

Disney < Potential Disney

I don't care so much about the price, I just haven't been happy with the state of older rides. I would pay $100 a day if everything were working properly and at its best (this includes at its best in terms of story, Imagination & Wonders of Life). Unfortunately, I only see that with the newer attractions that will someday suffer the same lack of attention needed.

If I lived in California, I would absolutely have a season pass there. Disney seems to do a better job with upkeep on the west coast aside from Tomorrowland.

Juliet

As long as your trip is booked and your deposit has been paid, any components in that package are locked in including tickets, assuming that they were a part of your vacation package to start with. Marie

If i book now, and then a promotion is released and i want to change my reservation, the price of the ticktes originaly booked will be increased or not?
:veryconfu

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Starting to wonder if they are trying to reduce the number of AP's. Over $1,000 for a family of only two is probably out of reach for most people. My wife and I have been AP holders for years, and we had a some friends that are a family of 3 that were also AP holders. We went to the parks together for years, but after the last AP increase our friends decided not to renew. They could no longer justify the expense even though they really enjoy DW. I have to believe that this increase will cut out even more families. Especially in an uncertain economic climate.

At this point, even when factoring in the increase in airfare, it's just about more economical to get an AP to Disneyland, where they are constantly updating and changing things.

RSoxNo1

At this point, even when factoring in the increase in airfare, it's just about more economical to get an AP to Disneyland, where they are constantly updating and changing things.

It was at this point a few years ago. I have been splitting time between the two resorts in recent years. The biggest reason I can keep Florida affordable is because I have inexpensive offsite lodging.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
...and people are shocked they raised the prices again? They do it every year, what is so surprising about this? :shrug:
The same thing that was surprising the year before....and the year before that.....and the year before that.:D

Anyone know what the renewal rate for AP's will be? I suspect it's going to approach (and possibly surpass) $500, which feels like a big threshhold to cross.
Renewals are typically 10% less than the full price.

misterID

Yup, I'm going to DL for my next vacation, not sure when I'll be going back to WDW again. Just nothing to really justify this increase.

Outside some princess additions, I can find the same "new stuff" at DL.

armyfamilyof5

Well, apparently all your money can't buy you proper grammar.

Nor class.

This is actually correct grammer, removing & MY FAMILY, it would say, "the way I see it for me, it is actually a good thing," which is correct. Yikes, if you are looking at $3 per person and you have a 10 person family, then yes, it could be an issue. When it comes to acting classy, those that live in glass houses should not throw stones. :lookaroun

TP2000

For the record, Disneyland also increased ticket prices this weekend. But even after the increase they are still not as expensive as WDW, which is odd because you get more rides and bang for your buck at the Disneyland parks. :veryconfu

Disneyland Resort new ticket prices effective 6/12/11

One-Day One-Park: $80 (previously $76)
One-Day Park Hopper: $105 (previously $101)
Southern California Resident Annual Pass: $269 (previously $239)
Deluxe Annual Pass: $379 (previously $329)
Premium Annual Pass including parking: $499 (previously $459)

It's the one-day tickets, or even the two or three day park-hopping tickets, where Disneyland still undercuts WDW ticket prices and yet delivers more bang for the buck. And in a much more expensive state and megalopolis to do business in, to boot. :veryconfu

Disneyland Park
48 Attractions, including 11 E Tickets
Two daily parades, two nightly Fantasmic! shows, nightly fireworks

Magic Kingdom Park
35 Attractions, including 7 E Tickets
Three daily parades, nightly fireworks

EPCOT Center (My personal favorite!)
24 Attractions (So hard to break out the big pavilions from the small walk-throughs and minor films, but there's the total number)
One nightly Illuminations show

Disney California Adventure
26 Attractions (2012 total increases by 4)
Parades on construction hiatus 'til November, nightly elecTRONica, two nightly World of Color shows

Disney's Hollywood Studios
15 Attractions/Major Shows (including seasonal Sounds Dangerous)
One daily parade, occasional Fantasmic! performances weekly

Disney's Animal Kingdom
15 Attractions/Major Shows (including 3 walk-through trails)
One daily parade

That is always a fascinating comparison to make! And with the recent ticket price increases, it makes it even more interesting to contemplate and ponder. :shrug:

geubux

They need to have another price increase and then get rid of the free dining. That will help keep some of the low class people out.

WDW_Emily

I don't understand this hate towards the "low class" people. They deserve to go to Disney just as much as you guys. These comments about this price raise being good and it will keep them out are rude and disrespectful.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don't understand this hate towards the "low class" people. They deserve to go to Disney just as much as you guys. These comments about this price raise being good and it will keep them out are rude and disrespectful.

No one deserves to go to Disney. Deserves insinuates entitlement. People go to Disney because they meet the qualifications for admission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom