Ticket price increase / FP+ changes coming?

CJR

I could see WDW maybe tweaking the system to give resort guests one prebooked experience per day but I truely think it would work great here.

I could see this:
Deluxe Resorts / DVC / AP Holders(?) - 3 FP (prebooked)
Moderate Resorts - 2 FP (prebooked)
Value / Good Neighbor hotels - 1 FP (prebooked)
Offsite hotels - 1 FP per day (booked the day of in the park)

MaxPass: $20 per day for additional x amount?

I don't think Max Pass will work unless they do away with prebooking almost entirely.

Even if they could only book one FP in advance, resort guests already fill up FP reservations for FoP, SDD, MF:SR, MMRR, SDMT, and soon Ratatouille long before the park opens for the day. There's still many onsite that still don't get those reservations, and that's still before factoring offsite guests, who have to wait longer to make their reservations.

Who would pay for Max Pass if all the popular rides were unavailable at park opening and what's left could be reserved for free at kiosks? Keep in mind, the majority of what's left arguably doesn't need FP anyways.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think Max Pass will work unless they do away with prebooking almost entirely.

Even if they could only book one FP in advance, resort guests already fill up FP reservations for FoP, SDD, MF:SR, MMRR, SDMT, and soon Ratatouille long before the park opens for the day. There's still many onsite that still don't get those reservations, and that's still before factoring offsite guests, who have to wait longer to make their reservations.

Who would pay for Max Pass if all the popular rides were unavailable at park opening and what's left could be reserved for free at kiosks? Keep in mind, the majority of what's left arguably doesn't need FP anyways.
What if the quota of before the day free passes were reduced?

lazyboy97o

That’s why you would reduce the number of FastPass+ reservations and sell the remainder as a day-of MaxPass. You increase the number of attractions that are all booked at 60 and 30 days, creating value for the remaining capacity that is sold. You can’t get a pass for the hot new attraction at 60 days, but you’ll have access to a larger pool of passes if you pay.

drizgirl

That’s why you would reduce the number of FastPass+ reservations and sell the remainder as a day-of MaxPass. You increase the number of attractions that are all booked at 60 and 30 days, creating value for the remaining capacity that is sold. You can’t get a pass for the hot new attraction at 60 days, but you’ll have access to a larger pool of passes if you pay.
But are there enough to give everybody even just one, then have enough quality inventory left that people would pay for it. I mean, nobody is going to prebook their sole FP in the MK for IASW.

Unless of course you remove all quality FPs from the initial pool and only have them for sale. Which is where I suspect and fear this is headed.

I've given this lots of thought in recent years. I do think that's the point at which Disney and I part ways.

Magenta Panther

Gotta love Bob. Disney is just a good Wall Street company now. Nothing more.

I pity those who didn’t know the Eisner / Wells era. That was magical without screwing the customer over.

Truer words were never spoken. I despise Iger. As for Eisner, despite occasional lapses in taste and judgement (Superstar Limo, the puppet purchase), he at least seemed to genuinely LIKE Disney. That's why he was a good host for the new Wonderful World of Disney TV show. Can you imagine Iger hosting that? He'd be like a cigar store Indian lighting up those cigars with a wad of burning cash. :p

CJR

What if the quota of before the day free passes were reduced?

That’s why you would reduce the number of FastPass+ reservations and sell the remainder as a day-of MaxPass.

Those are great points, and lowering prebooking quotas will help, but I'm not sure it'll be enough for the top rides at the resort.

Look how quick Rise is filling up its daily quotas. I get that its capacity is pretty terrible right now, but we're talking its total capacity, these FP's are only portion of the capacity, not all, since they'll need room for standby. So, there's plenty of reason to believe that they will fill up very quickly for the day. Any prebooked FP's, which isn't at DL, will only accelerate that.

Will people really pay $20 for Max Pass if they show up and find these have already been booked up by 10am and are left with choices like Star Tours and VotLM? When I was in DL, even RSR had solid availability into the early afternoon. For Max Pass to sell, guests will need reasonable access to these rides. Otherwise, they can wait 20 minutes for IASW or Star Tours, probably getting FP's for free at kiosks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Those are great points, and lowering prebooking quotas will help, but I'm not sure it'll be enough for the top rides at the resort.

Look how quick Rise is filling up its daily quotas. I get that its capacity is pretty terrible right now, but we're talking its total capacity, these FP's are only portion of the capacity, not all, since they'll need room for standby. So, there's plenty of reason to believe that they will fill up very quickly for the day. Any prebooked FP's, which isn't at DL, will only accelerate that.

Will people really pay $20 for Max Pass if they show up and find these have already been booked up by 10am and are left with choices like Star Tours and VotLM? When I was in DL, even RSR had solid availability into the early afternoon. For Max Pass to sell, guests will need reasonable access to these rides. Otherwise, they can wait 20 minutes for IASW or Star Tours, probably getting FP's for free at kiosks.

How Disney views their customers:

1581441326948.gif

CJR

How Disney views their customers:

View attachment 448331

The thing is, the customers still have to hand over the money. It's been seen before where Disney would roll out stuff and find that it's not going to sell as well as they thought it would. Will they sell Max Pass beyond the first few guests entering into the parks each morning?

In DL, Max Pass is a huge success, but I'm not convinced that it will be in FL (especially beyond MK).

Heck, even if people buy it, I don't even think Disney could handle the virtual capacity with everyone fighting each other on their mobile devices at DHS to get FP's at opening for one of three (someday four) rides. Will the RotR lottery work if it's paid? Hmmm.... Will they offer refunds to people who don't win that lottery?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
wish we
a - didn't have to plan everything so far ahead of time to get the most value out of our trip
b - didn't have to pay extra for things that were once free and more easily available for all

something else to keep in mind, the more costs go up... the more angry guests are going to get when they think they are paying for something but not able to get it

Touchdown

Well DL still has the old FP method, if FP+ is abolished it will go back to the old rules for everyone who doesn’t buy Maxpass

kong1802

wish we
a - didn't have to plan everything so far ahead of time to get the most value out of our trip
b - didn't have to pay extra for things that were once free and more easily available for all

something else to keep in mind, the more costs go up... the more angry guests are going to get when they think they are paying for something but not able to get it

I do wonder if this is really why they rolled out the "customer service brigade" at all the parks.

I use this analogy all the time. If I order a $20 steak, if its under/over cooked some, whatever.

If I order a $50 steak, if its under/over cooked some, get me another one.

Expectations increase with price increases. I'm sure they are ready to just keep flooding the customer service Fast Passes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
wish we

They haven't taken away anything, that's just doom and gloomers talking nonsense. /s

That doesn't matter, there are plenty of new customers with money to spend that can replace you. /s

disneygeek90

Well DL still has the old FP method, if FP+ is abolished it will go back to the old rules for everyone who doesn’t buy Maxpass
What would the "non Maxpass" even be? In DL that's walking over to the attraction and pulling a paper ticket. Those kiosks by and large do not exist anymore in WDW. Would you have to go to the few FP kiosks that are around the park each time to book a FP, while everyone with Maxpass does it on their phone?

Touchdown

What would the "non Maxpass" even be? In DL that's walking over to the attraction and pulling a paper ticket. Those kiosks by and large do not exist anymore in WDW. Would you have to go to the few FP kiosks that are around the park each time to book a FP, while everyone with Maxpass does it on their phone?

Well DL recently ditched their individual kiosks in TL for centralized ones by the 3-D theatre, I imagine WDW would do something similar (Adventureland/Frontierland, Liberty Square/Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, FW West/Rat, FW East/Frozen, Sunset Blvd/Animation Courtyard, TSL/Echo Lake, SWL, Dinoland/Asia, Pandora/Africa/Discovery Island). Most of these locations have kiosks already.

drizgirl

Say you reduce the level of free availability by half. Suddenly the FP has gone by 11am. Not taking into account the prebooking in Orlando.

An awful lot of spreadsheet and sharp pencil planning has gone into this. For quite a while.
Honestly, that's probably when I'm out. They sharpen their pencils. So do I.

Visiting the parks was marginally still "worth it" to me as a out of town tourist. Wholesale changes like this would certainly change my calculus of value.

In the past I'd say, just be sure you visit at a slow time. I've tried that. They reduce hours, reduce capacity and schedule special events. They won't tolerate lower than peak crowds. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate peak crowds without adequate FP access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom