Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

ParentsOf4

Of the 79% occupancy, do you have the % of how much was international tourists?
When asked about the “domestic international park splits for the quarter” in November 2012, CFO Jay Rasulo responded with:

“Yes, I'll tell you that I've talked for a long time about that range being, like, 18% to 22%, 23%. And in this quarter, at World, they were up at the high end of that range. They had a very strong fourth quarter relative to international attendance. Fundamentally driven by Brazil and Argentina, but even the UK, which is, of course, one of our other big markets, was up for the fourth quarter.”

Thus, presumably, this mix reflects attendance at the parks.

More recently, Disney noted record International attendance with some weakness from Canada.

Since some WDW theme park guests are local and, presumably, don’t stay at any hotels, it seems safe to assume that the International mix at WDW’s hotels is higher.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The price of any consumer good or service is highly complicated affair based on many factors.

I don't say it's OK to pay $1000 for my tie because I paid $1000 for my suit, yet both are items I wear.

Comparing a theme park with a Broadway play or a sporting event is dubious at best, completely misleading at worse.

Fenway Park, for example, sells out nearly all of its games. Over the course of a year, the Magic Kingdom runs at less than half of its theoretical capacity.

WDW's hotels average 5,700 empty rooms per night. Does that mean Disney is going to lower its prices?

WDW is an amusement park and should be compared with other amusement parks.

Oh and, by the way, a Six Flags New England Season Pass is $69.99 if bought individually, $59,99 if bought in quantities of 4 or more. That includes admission to their water park, Hurricane Harbor.

A WDW Premium Annual Pass is $754.

Please, compare apples-to-apples.
Hey!!! you forgot about the $20 to park per visit at Six Flags, quite costly :D

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Let's polish a turd:

Beginning February 25, 2014, parties of six or more who purchase a minimum 4-day Magic Your Way ticket will get a 5th day for FREE. This offer is good now through June 14, 2014.

Eligibility - Valid with party of 6 or more Guests.
Purchase Through - June 14, 2014
Ticket Requirements - Tickets are valid for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use.
Offer Restrictions - All tickets and options are non-transferable and non-refundable, are only valid during regularly scheduled operating hours and exclude activities/events priced separately.
No additional discounts apply.

Goofyernmost

I guess it boils down to this. We can compare until we are blue, but WDW is WDW. There really is nothing else to compare it with. It's characters, it's attractions, it's way of doing things (good or bad) and most of all it's history really defies comparison with anything else other than another Disney Park located in this country.

It's uniqueness and reputation means that it can charge whatever people will pay to see it. There is not a connection with cost of living index's because it isn't a cost of living, it's a cost of a luxury. Personally, I would pay, if I had it, $100.00 any day to go to Disney, but, you would have to pry the money out of my cold dead hands to get me to go to Six Flags or a Baseball game albeit cheaper or more expensive. It is what it is worth to the individual. Those of us the fondly look back on what it cost to go to Disney in 1972 might want to also remember how much they made a year for salary in 1972. It jars one back into reality really quickly. Those that are not stuck in the past, don't find it to be unfair, just expensive.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Hey!!! you forgot about the $20 to park per visit at Six Flags, quite costly :D
With my $54.99 Family Season Pass, parking is free at my local Six Flags!

It also was included at the local Six Flags when I lived in Hartford and Chicago.

WDW's parking is only $15.

Now that's a bargain! ;)

Of course, I think it was about $6 10 years ago. :eek:

Seriously though, it was not that long ago that I remember thinking WDW parking was reasonable.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Let's polish a turd:

Beginning February 25, 2014, parties of six or more who purchase a minimum 4-day Magic Your Way ticket will get a 5th day for FREE. This offer is good now through June 14, 2014.

Ticket Requirements - Tickets are valid for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use.
Offer Restrictions - All tickets and options are non-transferable and non-refundable, are only valid during regularly scheduled operating hours and exclude activities/events priced separately.
So, they just raised the price of a 5-day ticket by $15 and now they are offering a limited-time $10 discount on it.

Straight from the Kohl's playbook. :D

HM Spectre

So, they just raised the price of a 5-day ticket by $15 and now they are offering a limited-time $10 discount on it.

Straight from the Kohl's playbook. :D

Don't forget the money they rake in from the room(s) and any food/drink/merch you buy on property during that extra day (assuming you were only staying for 4 days originally). Gotta love a company who can offer a price increase and revenue enhancer as a discount!

ParentsOf4

Let's polish a turd:

Can we have a show of hands of how many are families of six?

Me!!!!

Anyone else?

Oh, and by the way, if you are a family of six being forced by Disney to book 2 rooms or stay in one of their really expensive suites, you should get free days. :D

Some of my posts must have really got to them. They're offering me a "free" day!

Too bad I already have 28 days left on my current unused WDW theme park tickets.

Days that are going to remain unused this year.

I'm looking forward to Avatar!

In 2017. :arghh:

Last edited:

crispy

Has that ever worked before?

Prices (even adjusting for inflation) are higher every year but so are stories about bad behavior in the parks.

Higher prices bringing a higher level of entitlement. "I paid a $100 for each of us to get in here - there's no way I'm standing in line all day to see a #%@& princess!". I think the higher prices give people higher expectations, and when they aren't met then the nastiness starts. Of course, some people are just trashy, too!

Lucky

Higher prices bringing a higher level of entitlement. "I paid a $100 for each of us to get in here - there's no way I'm standing in line all day to see a #%@& princess!". I think the higher prices give people higher expectations, and when they aren't met then the nastiness starts.
I couldn't agree more. That's my biggest concern with the exorbitant price increases - the "magic" won't survive all the surly guests, and the impact they have in turn on CM's attitudes.

I'm not morally opposed to charging whatever the market will bear. But it reflects short-term thinking that's diametrically opposed to their traditional strategy of building brand loyalty. Current management has decided to cash that out.

John

I don't have numbers in front of me, but I would wager Disney sells more 1-day tickets than they do 7-day tickets. They may sell more 1-day tickets than they sell 5-7 tickets. I think you'd be shocked by the number of people who spend 1 day at the MK and never go back.

So we agree that the product and usage are completely different? Why are we comparing them again?

I actually think comparisons are fairly pointless. For example, I don't value tickets for an NFL game at all. I wouldn't pay half the price. Heck, I wouldn't go for free. Everyone is going to value these different products differently.

The best comparison is to Disney's past. I know what I paid in the past and what I got for the money. I expect the price to go up roughly in line with inflation. Won't complain about that. I would even go so far as to say the tickets were at one point under-priced. So I will give Disney some wiggle room to exceed inflation for a bit.

But for the last several years that have far outstripped inflation. During a time when the economy was down and they were not investing in the parks at the rate they used to. Not to mention they have been cutting costs in very noticeable ways. They cut the A/C in central Florida! Who does that?!?

Disney has always charged a premium price. And they have offered a premium product. I'd say the product is still premium. But a lot less so than it used to be. And others are catching up. While the product is in decline, the cost is going through the roof. Especially if you include hotels and food - the prices of which are rising even faster than admission.

Disney World used to be a deal. Now, it's not. Slowly, it is becoming a rip-off. Eventually, guests will realize this. When they do, Disney will have a heck of a time winning them back. Especially if going to Disney World is no longer the rite of passage it is today. If a generation grows up with fonder memories of Universal, Disney World will lose its only advantage.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Exactly....forget all the comparisons to other types of entertainment and other parks. Compare WDW to WDW past. There is where the rub is. Service? Maintemce? Food quality? Streetmosphere? How about parades? Forget about in=park offrerings, what about the cuts in other areas outside the parks? Do they still have horse back riding? I don't even know....havnt seen it advertised in years. There truly was a time when you didn't even have to go to the parks and still couldn't do everything. How many of you remember when at Christmas they would put stockings full of goodies on your hotel door if you had children? on and on. Now we pay more and get less. This is what all the outrage is really about. Price increase? Of course it happens, it happens everywhere. But I wouldn't mind paying more if we just had the same level of experience.

The problem is we continue to pay more and get less. PERIOD!

Matt_Black

Regarding the above admonition about no politics, I suppose THIS is out of the question...

tumblr_mc5umtKraQ1qlt206o3_500.png

Kevo

I see what you are saying. But... (there is always a but) you're operating under the assumption that the price hikes are related to improvements. If that were the case, the Iger era would have seen more park improvement than ever before. Instead, the opposite is true.

I don't need to wait a few more years to know whether or not Disney is going in the right direction. They have announced their intentions for the next several years. And they look pretty similar to the last several years. Stagnation at the parks while cutting costs and raising prices.

My feelings are mixed. But only because I love Disney World and want to keep on loving it. But I know things are getting worse.

There is a huge void right now lebeau, I agree.
The Pandora area (Avatar Land) is really a bit of a joke, considering how many years that has been bumbling along 'pre groundwork'.
Equally, Disney do appear to have been 'the slumbering giant' when it comes to construction. Diagon Alley is in my opinion a much bigger project than New Fantasyland and whipped into action at double the pace. Perhaps New Fantasyland has been much more problematic than we all think and that has really unnerved the Disney execs? There has got to be some explanation for snap price increases and delayed improvements.

The financial performances at Disney are going well, yet their operations appear to contradict this, showing all of the signs of an organisation in deep trouble!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom