Ticket Price Increase - Feb 2014

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Anything we do is better than keeping quiet about it.

While the silent majority will go along with whatever the company does, it is up to the vocal minority to complain and shout it from the rooftops for all to hear and hopefully the squeaky wheel will get some grease.

Sorry to make light of what you are saying, but I just got a flash of Newsies in my head with this comment.

I don't disagree with what you are saying though.

ParentsOf4

Sooo...what do you intend to do about this? Not go anymore? (serious question)
I have 28 unused "no expiration" theme park days for my family of six (168 days!) that I bought back in 2005 when prices for such tickets were less than half what they were today. They will remain unused in 2014.

I am a DVC member and am booked in an Animal Kingdom Jambo House (my favorite WDW hotel) Grand Villa for this upcoming spring break where I plan to visit WDW's water parks (which I still love) for 2 days and spend the rest of our days at Universal where my PAP renewal cost $159, less than a 2-day base ticket at WDW.

I've been going to WDW for over 35 years, paying for my own ticket each time, absolutely loving it for the first 25, liking it for a few more years until I saw what was happening at Universal and not happening at WDW.

I'm sure I'll return to the WDW theme parks eventually but during my most recent visit, my entire family, including my 4 teenagers, were extremely disappointed with WDW's theme parks. After spending over 20 days at Universal during the previous 12 months, I thought they would have missed WDW. After the third day at WDW's theme parks, they couldn't wait to get back to Universal. Absolutely no one in my family wanted to spend another day in a WDW theme park.

Things have never been worse at WDW's theme parks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have 28 unused "no expiration" theme park days for my family of six (168 days!) that I bought back in 2005 when prices for such tickets were less than half what they were today. They will remain unused in 2014.

I am a DVC member and am booked in an Animal Kingdom Jambo House (my favorite WDW hotel) Grand Villa for this upcoming spring break where I plan to visit WDW's water parks (which I still love) for 2 days and spend the rest of our days at Universal where my PAP renewal cost $159, less than a 2-day base ticket at WDW.

I've been going to WDW as an adult for over 35 years, absolutely loving it for the first 25, liking it for a few more years until I saw what was happening at Universal and not happening at WDW.

I'm sure I'll return to the WDW theme parks eventually but, during my most recent visit, my entire family, including my 4 teenagers, were extremely disappointed with WDW's theme parks. After spending over 20 days at Universal during the previous 12 months, I thought they would have missed WDW. After the third day at WDW's theme parks, they couldn't wait to get back to Universal. Absolutely no one in my family wanted to spend another day in a WDW theme park.

Sounds good. I think you are being a bit dramatic about how terrible it is but I guess you are entitled to be as a DVC member. I am pretty confident in the next few years WDW will make the adjustments similar to what DL seems to have done recently.

ParentsOf4

Sounds good. I think you are being a bit dramatic about how terrible it is but I guess you are entitled to be as a DVC member. I am pretty confident in the next few years WDW will make the adjustments similar to what DL seems to have done recently.
What I wrote is that WDW theme parks have never been worse.

That's not dramatic.

That's a fact.

Alternatively, perhaps you can point me to a time when WDW's theme parks were worse?

Goofyernmost

I've been going to WDW for over 35 years, absolutely loving it for the first 25, liking it for a few more years until I saw what was happening at Universal and not happening at WDW.

I'm sure I'll return to the WDW theme parks eventually but, during my most recent visit, my entire family, including my 4 teenagers, were extremely disappointed with WDW's theme parks. After spending over 20 days at Universal during the previous 12 months, I thought they would have missed WDW. After the third day at WDW's theme parks, they couldn't wait to get back to Universal. Absolutely no one in my family wanted to spend another day in a WDW theme park.

Don't get me wrong... I truly respect your posts, but I have to ask! Disney has had use of your money for 9 years, interest free and you are holding off on using them? I guess you have shown them! That must sting! I have a few unused as well, but, I will use them and once they are gone, then I will consider a boycott, but, until them there is no damn way that I am not going to get the services I paid for. Disney loves people that buy tickets and then don't use them. It's like taking up a collection. ;)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What I wrote is that WDW theme parks have never been worse.

That's not dramatic.

That's a fact.

Alternatively, perhaps you can point me to a time when WDW's theme parks were worse?

I prefer present time over, say, 2009. Anyways, if enough people cause an uproar and spend their money elsewhere, they will adjust. Again, I feel that this already happened at DL, as opinion of this park seemed to have changed in recent years.

StageFrenzy

Don't get me wrong... I truly respect your posts, but I have to ask! Disney has had use of your money for 9 years, interest free and you are holding off on using them? I guess you have shown them! That must sting! I have a few unused as well, but, I will use them and once they are gone, then I will consider a boycott, but, until them there is no damn way that I am not going to get the services I paid for. Disney loves people that buy tickets and then don't use them. It's like taking up a collection. ;)

@ParentsOf4 probably came out ahead considering the rate in which Disney has been raising their prices and a push on the crash and rise on the market.

ParentsOf4

Actually, no. From an accounting perspective, unused tickets are a royal pain for Disney. It's one of the reasons the "no expiration" option is no longer available online.

And if you consider that the tickets I bought were with my "fun money" sitting in a bank collecting minimal interest and compare that to the ticket price increases since then, my ticket purchase was a pretty good investment. What, you think I would have been smarter buying those same tickets today?

Sort of like my DVC memberships which are worth $20-30 per point more than I paid for them. When I stay at a Deluxe Resort Studio at WDW, I pay less than $100/night most nights. And there are several Deluxe Resorts that I'm still fond of. How much do you pay for your Deluxe Resort stays?

I'm pretty careful when it comes to money, which might explain why I can buy dozens of theme park tickets or DVCs with my "fun money". :)

As for WDW itself, I'm not going to dump it just because it has -poor management today. I intend to be visiting WDW long after the current bozos are gone. For now, I'll just wait it out.

2010 was a seminal year, when it became obvious that Universal was heading in the right direction and WDW was heading in the wrong direction. It's been less than 4 years since the opening of WWOHP, not long at all.

Sometimes, we all need to be a little patient.

Last edited:

WDW1974

What? Voting with your wallet is the best way to get Disney's (or any business for that matters) attention. When nobody attended Disney's California Adventure they got the message loud and clear...to the tune of over a BILLION dollars. The only reason we have Cars Land and several other changes/additions today is because Californians told the suits at Disney where they can stick their inferior product. If you people truly want change then put your money where your mouth is and stop going, tell your friends and family to stop going, and be as vocal as possible on forums and in letters to Disney. It may take some time but it's the only proven way to get results.

But most of you won't do that and i've come to realize that's ok because I set up a retirement fund with a ton of Disney stock so i'm gonna ride this pixie train aaaalllllll the way to the bank.

That's just not the case at all. WDW is not DCA.

WDW has four mature parks that have reps, largely (true or not) as great places to visit. If a small amount of avid fans decide not to go, then WDW replaces us with rubes and they're even happier.

There are ways to bring about change, but they sure aren't easy and they aren't something just anyone can do.

StageFrenzy

That's just not the case at all. WDW is not DCA.

WDW has four mature parks that have reps, largely (true or not) as great places to visit. If a small amount of avid fans decide not to go, then WDW replaces us with rubes and they're even happier.

There are ways to bring about change, but they sure aren't easy and they aren't something just anyone can do.

We aren't all spirited 1% though with tenticles everwhere, perhaps even in Georgie K's back pocket :jawdrop:. If I had the abilty to pay what you do when you go to the swamp these days I might feel the same.

WDW1974

I'm actually quite glad the price has gone up, hopefully it will deter the riff raff from coming in their droves and keep crowd levels down.

But yes, raising prices yet taken many things away and neglecting other things is very bad value for money and a little frustrating since it isn't justified but the parks are getting a little crowded lately so hopefully they let up a bit now but I doubt it.

Actually, the riff raff (as you term it) is part of the bread and butter WDW visitorship demos of the 21st century.

Where they get their money always is an entertaining conversation with me ... because it gets sorta political and toward the buildup of the defense sector and the surveillance state since 9/11. But the riff raff is what is replacing a lot of us guests ... with um ... ah ... standards.

WDW1974

A regional park and a vacation destination/resort are not the same thing. This is apples to grapefruit. Regional parks rely heavily on locals who have season passes. Relatively few people are buying single day admissions.

I actually think the tickets are very reasonably priced if you are spending a lot of time at the parks. But for most people, that means incurring huge vacation expenses like hotel rooms. Which is where Disney's bread is buttered.

I agree regional parks aren't great comparison fodder ... so I compare Disney to Disney. What WDW used to offer for a much lower price versus what they offer today. And what WDW offers compared to direct and fair area competition from UNI/IOA/SWO/BGT. And what WDW offers versus what I can get at DLR, DLP, HKDL and TDR.

That is very, very fair comparing. And WDW always comes up short.

WDW1974

There are very few true equals to Disney World. Even Universal isn't really apples to apples. But it's the closest thing which is why everyone constantly compares them.

Unless you are a Disney BRAND advocate or addict, it is a very fair comparison. The only thing WDW has over UNI is enormous size. So, if you're the type of dude who thinks size matters, then by all means you might want to get screwed by WDW. God knows many fanbois wish that could happen!:D

StageFrenzy

Actually, the riff raff (as you term it) is part of the bread and butter WDW visitorship demos of the 21st century.

Where they get their money always is an entertaining conversation with me ... because it gets sorta political and toward the buildup of the defense sector and the surveillance state since 9/11. But the riff raff is what is replacing a lot of us guests ... with um ... ah ... standards.

I agree regional parks aren't great comparison fodder ... so I compare Disney to Disney. What WDW used to offer for a much lower price versus what they offer today. And what WDW offers compared to direct and fair area competition from UNI/IOA/SWO/BGT. And what WDW offers versus what I can get at DLR, DLP, HKDL and TDR.

That is very, very fair comparing. And WDW always comes up short.

So what you're saying is WDW used to be a Faberge egg that charged prices that equaled the value of the Faberge egg. But at some point some exec stole the Faberge Egg and replaced it with a papier-mâché egg. After doing that, they more than doubled the price of the egg. Then marketed it to people who thought it was cute to poke holes in the egg.

WDW1974

You want to set a cap on Disney's profits and force them to give anything above that to their CM's? Or am I misinterpreting this?

When a company does well, I'd like to see its employees benefit as well.

And when a company does record-breaking well annually, I'd like the company's employees to be able to afford the basics of life as a starting point.

Got a problem with that?

Last edited:

WDW1974

I've been going to WDW for over 35 years, paying for my own ticket each time, absolutely loving it for the first 25, liking it for a few more years until I saw what was happening at Universal and not happening at WDW.

I'm sure I'll return to the WDW theme parks eventually but during my most recent visit, my entire family, including my 4 teenagers, were extremely disappointed with WDW's theme parks. After spending over 20 days at Universal during the previous 12 months, I thought they would have missed WDW. After the third day at WDW's theme parks, they couldn't wait to get back to Universal. Absolutely no one in my family wanted to spend another day in a WDW theme park.

I actually almost did what you did with tickets back when APs could buy vouchers for renewal and you didn't simply have a ticket with a fuse that began on the same day every year (that was back when the nickel and diming was just starting). For those who may not get it, what that means is that until about 2001 you could have had an AP that ran out on Jan. 1st, but so long as you renewed within the 30-day window, you received the renewal discount and were sent a voucher by mail. If you didn't visit WDW until April 30th, you wouldn't have thrown away four months because the pass would start the day it was activated.

I can't blame your kids. As much as I've always loved UNI, it truly didn't click for me until last summer when I stayed at Portofino Bay that I preferred being there. That I didn't care I was missing RoE for the 954th time or riding PoC for the 1476th time ***MAGIC BAND add on ABC now*** ... Now, I have very little appetite for what WDW is serving. I don't like food that isn't fresh.

Oh, and I think all the Disney execs and the UNI execs and the SEAS execs and any other hospitality/themed entertainment folks trolling know where to find you next month. Who knows what that could lead to?;)

WDW1974

When it comes to drama queens, this site has plenty. I wouldn't put @ParentsOf4 in that category.

I haven't looked at your profile, but if that avatar pic is you and recent I would guess you are young? Under 30?
When was your first visit to WDW? Have you been to other Disney resorts? UNI?

Not trying to give you the third degree (yes, I am) but trying to see if you are simply too young and too new to the MAGIC to understand all that has been lost and isn't coming back.

Probably could have simply asked one question: do you ever recall Disney having clean, cold, efficient monorails that looked brand new every day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom