News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

JohnD

I mean, I guess I care about the fireflies.

But surely you can see how framing it as "pushing" might come across as dramatic and over-reactionary, right? It's pretty common to post "fast-facts" about something like this so that media can report on anything they think readers might care about. If an outlet wants to use that info to write a jaded and cynical piece about how the fireflies are on screens rather than practical effects, and that is is a "lazy use of space," they could.
You're welcome to interpret my comments however you want. They listed a bunch of numbers from most to least. I can't recall the last time a number of something in screens was touted as something to be excited about. They also mentioned the number of feet of the final drop. So? It's the same number of feet as Splash. It's not like that was something new.

SilentWindODoom

You're welcome to interpret my comments however you want. They listed a bunch of numbers from most to least. I can't recall the last time a number of something in screens was touted as something to be excited about. They also mentioned the number of feet of the final drop. So? It's the same number of feet as Splash. It's not like that was something new.

Everyone's already said how the press releases generally do this sort of thing. It's nothing special.

And the fireflies are not only in the screens. There are a number of practical firefly effects that have been stated by people who've experienced the ride as being impressive.

JohnD

Everyone's already said how the press releases generally do this sort of thing. It's nothing special.

And the fireflies are not only in the screens. There are a number of practical firefly effects that have been stated by people who've experienced the ride as being impressive.
Okay, cool. Thanks.

_caleb

Who says it needs to be something new? It's a list of information about the attraction that the public might find interesting and may cause them to want to ride the ride.

Your post comes across like, "Sheesh, now they're pushing how wet the water is!"

You're free to post what you like, but man, it's tiresome reading through post after post like this.

MrPromey

WDI still gets to make the final call on floor tiles. If others tried to demand more inclusive bathroom tiles, Bruce can and would put his foot down.

Have they fully back-filled The Zack?

If not, they might not currently have anyone in WDI with the needed experience and institutional knowledge to head up a floor tile project of such magnitude.

MrPromey

I must admit that after seeing this ride I am kind of curious what all that research in New Orleans contributed to the final product. People like to mock Joe Rhode and his trips to Nepal, etc., but the results are readily evident in the final product. I am generally in favour of Imagineers taking research trips and the involvement of people from the regions being depicted in the creation of lands and attractions, but I am curious as to what part of this ride through the bayou collecting animal musicians was informed by getting to know New Orleans culture.

I've been thinking the same thing. Showing all those shots of them with huge smiles looking like they're having a lot of fun around the French Quarter, apparently having some sort of VIP viewing section for parades on Canal Street and meeting with local artists and the visits to local studios with musicians, I was expecting... something - more French Quarter stuff? Recognizable sites and landmarks? St. Louis Cathedral? St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 if Facilier were there? More references to Mardi Gras?

Something.

Never saw any clips of them out on air boats surveying the landscape and old river buildings or in tall boots mucking across soft land, visiting Avery Island, etc. which, given what they made for the ride feels like where you would have seen someone like Rhode for at least half the trip. (maybe I missed those clips?)

Seems like an awful lot of "effort" that went into finding artwork for the outside of one building in the queue and... being incredibly generous, the final scene from the ride.

Looks more like a lot of executive leadership got a VIP vacation to NOLA expensed for some b-roll to promote the "effort" going into thinking about how this ride would be made.

Last edited:

MrPromey

one of the things in the marketing that is a pet peeve but they say “season” after Mardi gras every time. As she celebrates “mardi gras season”

In this vein, the party is never described in the dialogue as anything other than a party. What’s the party for and Mardi gras isn’t mentioned at all. Are they afraid of the Mardi Gras connotations?
I don't think it's specifically that.

Mardi Gras is only one day a year but in NOLA, the "season" lasts for roughly over a month.*

The parade schedule, for instance, begins about a month two months ahead* and really ramps up, the week leading into Fat Tuesday.

In addition to the parades, where a single krewe usually sponsors each one, those krewes (social clubs) also have all their own private events that go on at various points through the month and there is a ton of overlap there when it comes to resources and member involvement.

There are a lot of locals events that take place well outside the traveled tourist paths (and where tourists aren't particularly welcomed) that happen for that whole month, too.

It's basically just way too much to cram into a single day or even a single week even though many tourists only come for the final week or final couple of days of activity.

*Edited with a correction from @RenDeVieux for more factually accurate info.

Last edited:

RenDeVieux

I don't think it's specifically that.

Mardi Gras is only one day a year but in NOLA, the "season" lasts for roughly a month.

The parade schedule, for instance, begins about a month ahead and really ramps up, the week leading into Fat Tuesday.

In addition to the parades, where a single krewe usually sponsors each one, those krewes (social clubs) also have all their own private events that go on at various points through the month and there is a ton of overlap there when it comes to resources and member involvement.

There are a lot of locals events that take place well outside the traveled tourist paths (and where tourists aren't particularly welcomed) that happen for that whole month, too.

It's basically just way too much to cram into a single day or even a single week even though many tourists only come for the final week or final couple of days of activity.
Oh im from Nola and lived three blocks from the uptown parade route…technically, the season starts on Twelfth Night. (The Krewe of Joan of Arc rides)

It can be almost two months of parades but yeah January is usually quiet

_caleb

Never saw any clips of them out on air boats surveying the landscape and old river buildings or in tall boots mucking across soft land, visiting Avery Island, etc. which, given what they made for the ride feels like where you would have seen someone like Rhode for at least half the trip. (maybe I missed those clips?)
As part of their marketing and social media strategy, Disney invited a variety of YouTubers along on their research trips. These folks make Disney's case for how their research/inspiration trips influenced TBA.

MrPromey

As part of their marketing and social media strategy, Disney invited a variety of YouTubers along on their research trips. These folks make Disney's case for how their research/inspiration trips influenced TBA.

Okay, I can see where about 8-10% of the influencer videos show those folks looking at some of the natural habitat - thanks for pointing that out.

Still seems a little wonky considering how the majority of the run time trampsing around the French Quarter and listening to people talk about the culture doesn't seem to come through in the ride, itself... although apparently it's prevalent in the queue?

_caleb

Okay, I can see where about 8-10% of the influencer videos show those folks looking at some of the natural habitat - thanks for pointing that out.

Still seems a little wonky considering how the majority of the run time trampsing around the French Quarter and listening to people talk about the culture doesn't seem to come through in the ride, itself... although apparently it's prevalent in the queue?
I'm not sure, as I haven't experienced TBA myself yet. But I think they might say that they draw inspiration from their trips in some key areas:
  • The bayou feels bayou-y (–ish? –esque?)
  • Flora and fauna (the plants and critters they chose)
  • Kitchen, ingredients, beignets, etc. Leah/Dooky Chase
  • The materials and colors used in the queue
  • All the music, instruments, etc.
  • The look/feel of the salt mine section of the queue
  • Backstory to explain the setting
  • Newspapers and ephemera for queue walls
  • Finale scene architecture, costumes, scene elements
Obviously, it's open to interpretation whether these trips were worth it, or how successful WDI was at making TBA feel New-Orleans/Bayou-like. But I think those are some things they'd point to.

I've mentioned this before, but I think Disney is using "authenticity" (New Orleans-native artists, research trips, etc.) is a way to pre-empt their treatment of any cultural elements/themes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom