News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Kirby86

“Our parks are treasured, and our fans care deeply about how they evolve and change — just as we do,” Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park chairman, said in an interview. “One thing fans always tell me is ‘If you change it, promise to make it even better.’ And I think we’ve delivered on that promise with Tiana.”

yeah okay, he is totally clueless.
I mean what do we expect him to say? He's chairman of the parks and he's in advertising mode, he's not going to say "yeah this was a swing and miss guys but we'll hit a homrun next time."

MerlinTheGoat

“Our parks are treasured, and our fans care deeply about how they evolve and change — just as we do,” Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park chairman, said in an interview. “One thing fans always tell me is ‘If you change it, promise to make it even better.’ And I think we’ve delivered on that promise with Tiana.”

1718195378842.png

"They did not in fact deliver on that promise with Tiana."
- Disembodied Narrator

Ice Gator

Because it's putting up screens in an area which could have had AAs. It was a lazy use of space. Does anyone care about the number of fireflies?
No.
It’s not impressive in the slightest and I don’t get why others are pretending it is. As you said, so much more space could have been used for more AAs.
That’s like counting the number of stars on Space Mountain and bragging about it because surely THAT is what will blow people’s socks off about the attraction.

Tha Realest

And you think this guy is going to deliver big at D23 and the years to come.

Here comes Lucy with the football…

Tha Realest

I wonder if the "reporter" who wrote the article has ever set foot in WDW with the tired unwashed masses or has ever themselves watched SOTS?

But hey it's framed nicely so that even if you don't like it on the merits (because of it being a mediocre attraction at best) and still prefer the previous attraction, then you're the “R” word.
Again, it’s wildly coincidental that virtually all of the media have adopted this framing, and they have ready-made quotes from Disney leadership reinforcing it.

Bocabear

I don't think it is the number of AAs that makes this feel not as great as it's predecessor but the staging and story telling itself. The plotline is not great, the finale seems somehow much less impressive than the original despite it having more advanced animatronics... And...honestly, they need to go back to the source material... Taking a character a a few years down the road is not necessarily the best idea for characters that are already well established... Like a meet and greet with Cinderella and her children.....Or Belle's Public Library and book shop attraction...

MerlinTheGoat

I don't think it is the number of AAs that makes this feel not as great as it's predecessor but the staging and story telling itself. The plotline is not great, the finale seems somehow much less impressive than the original despite it having more advanced animatronics... And...honestly, they need to go back to the source material... Taking a character a a few years down the road is not necessarily the best idea for characters that are already well established... Like a meet and greet with Cinderella and her children.....Or Belle's Public Library and book shop attraction...
It's definitely an "All of the above" situation regarding what went wrong. AA's are a substantial part of it though.

The tiny number of AA's to me is just one of those situations where it's impossible to seriously argue a contrarian position on. With story changes or scene dressing, there's always the inevitable and obnoxious attempt to claim "it's subjective and therefore you can't say i'm wrong" line to attempt to defend it. Even though most of that is also able to be debunked without much effort. The severely reduced amount of AA's however are an objective downgrade. It's the easiest thing to critique because it's something everyone can see and comprehend as an obvious and clear downgrade, and there's absolutely no sane or rational defense of it. It's a case of objective fact where subjectivity does not apply.

Animaniac93-98

The ride looks better in person? Then who's idea was it to release a poor quality POV video before previews even started?

And the comparison to Mission: Breakout doesn't hold because a) Disney didn't change ToT on both coasts and b) no one ever insisted or implied the retheme had to happen because The Twilight Zone was problematic

Could you imagine if Cynthia Harris had praised Rocket Rods as being morally superior to the PeopleMover? Or if Eisner had implied that anyone who didn't like opening day DCA, Imagination 2.0 or WDSP was just a disgruntled fan?

It's obviously they lost the initial online narrative and are now working backwards to correct their own mistakes.

MerlinTheGoat

Rides tend to look better in person, what a shocker. Though actually, not always. Some actually look worse (Little Mermaid is one such example as all of the flaws with the lack of detail, exposed ceiling structure, poor scale of scenes/characters and lighting are magnified tenfold). And i've seen at least a few people who HAVE ridden TBA who say it looks worse in person. Flat video projection tends to look much worse in person, since it contrasts poorly and looks much more dim and blurry against 3-dimensional sets.

The complaints that most people have levied about the ride however are not things that would be improved by riding in person. You're not fixing the lack of AA's, basic moving props, empty stretches of nothing, the stupid dialog and story, worse songs etc by riding it in person.

Last edited:

FettFan

He’s a corporate kissbutt.

FettFan

I mean what do we expect him to say? He's chairman of the parks and he's in advertising mode, he's not going to say "yeah this was a swing and miss guys but we'll hit a homrun next time."

Maybe he should default to Edison’s “thousand failures” quote.

_caleb

The ride looks better in person? Then who's idea was it to release a poor quality POV video before previews even started?
I agree that is was dumb to release the fixed-POV video. Many folks (here especially) based their negative opinions on that, which had bad audio and missed and/or edited out key elements. It certainly did not make the best first impression and fed confirmation bias.
The complaints that most people have levied about the ride however are not things that would be improved by riding in person. You're not fixing the lack of AA's, basic moving props, empty stretches of nothing, the stupid dialog and story, worse songs etc by riding it in person.
Except many posts here have criticized TBA based on incomplete information they got from the fixed-POV video:

• “The AAs staring and standing still between logs”: This effect was amplified because we could only see straight ahead
  • “Long stretches of nothing”: yeah, if you don’t look to your left or right. Many people completely missed Louis in the okra, the frog players in the shrunken segment, or the Lari figures?
  • “The audio is just the soundtrack”: it’s not, but it sounded like it on the GoPro they used
  • “The plot is incoherent”: The video didn’t include anything from the queue, which is a key part of the story
There’s plenty reason to be disappointed in TBA and valid reasons to dislike it. But many (most?), of the knee-jerk initial reactions were based on analysis of the incomplete info from the POV. And that response formed the narrative that persists in this thread.

V_L_Raptor

And the comparison to Mission: Breakout doesn't hold because a) Disney didn't change ToT on both coasts and b) no one ever insisted or implied the retheme had to happen because The Twilight Zone was problematic

Could you imagine if Cynthia Harris had praised Rocket Rods as being morally superior to the PeopleMover? Or if Eisner had implied that anyone who didn't like opening day DCA, Imagination 2.0 or WDSP was just a disgruntled fan?

It's obviously they lost the initial online narrative and are now working backwards to correct their own mistakes.

Or he's about to float Orlando's Tower of Terror coming up on changes shortly.

MerlinTheGoat

Except many posts here have criticized TBA based on incomplete information they got from the fixed-POV video:

• “The AAs staring and standing still between logs”: This effect was amplified because we could only see straight ahead
  • “Long stretches of nothing”: yeah, if you don’t look to your left or right. Many people completely missed Louis in the okra, the frog players in the shrunken segment, or the Lari figures?
  • “The audio is just the soundtrack”: it’s not, but it sounded like it on the GoPro they used
  • “The plot is incoherent”: The video didn’t include anything from the queue, which is a key part of the story
There’s plenty reason to be disappointed in TBA and valid reasons to dislike it. But many (most?), of the knee-jerk initial reactions were based on analysis of the incomplete info from the POV. And that response formed the narrative that persists in this thread.
I've watched multiple videos from other people with cameras better at low light capture and that turn the video to the sides to better capture the angles. My impressions have not changed whatsoever, and I even gave that early video some leeway for those reasons. If anything, the complaints about so much empty space were made worse because it turns out that Disney made a couple of edits to cut some of those long empty stretches out.

The ride still has a ton of empty corridors where no figures are present (where there were figures prior, or at least more detailed stylized cartoon scenery). With the few critters it does have being very simple and with a disappointing range of motion. The criticisms of the audio being the movie soundtrack were more specifically about the exterior of the ride, and about how certain songs are located in strange areas. It's how they are used that are awkward. Or that Ray's voice is used in Gonna Take You Down, despite being dead (Facilier being dead for the record was the primary point that was used by the ride's supporters to try and justify why HE wasn't included). The "plot" they included in the queue, as I expected and have been saying for years, has pretty much nothing to do with the actual ride beyond the first drop. It's a bunch of restaurant and kitchen appliances, whereas the actual ride is about recruiting musical critters to play at a party. The "missing ingredient" is sort of forgotten about until the last scene with the new song.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom