News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
What do you say to those who enjoy Mission: BREAKOUT? Have they fallen victim to what you call Disney’s gaslighting?
Unfortunately (or fortunately for them), I would say yes. The difference is that MB replaced something that was almost universally regarded as the inferior version of ToT. So MB being different and actually improving on the DL's ToT ride experience (at least in terms of variety and zippiness) gives it a leg up.

James Alucobond

Today I learned that we can't criticize the things we have heard about upcoming attractions.
I have criticized many things in this thread and have never been attacked for it. I have had conversations. What I haven’t done is drop in every few pages to post the same tired joke with nary a care for the actual construction progress. What I haven’t done is claim that features that are already demonstrably part of other classic attractions are somehow now massive failures in theming for no discernible reason. What I haven’t done is constantly bring up the social context of the retheme since that isn’t the focus of this thread. What I haven’t done is dwell relentlessly on the attraction that preceded TBA.

To be clear, I am not saying that you specifically have done any of these things. In fact, I think you generally have not. But people are probably occasionally more dismissive than you’d like because that’s the loop this thread has been stuck in for a year and a half now.

LittleBuford

Unfortunately (or fortunately for them), I would say yes. The difference is that MB replaced something that was almost universally regarded as the inferior version of ToT. So MB being different and actually improving on the DL's ToT ride experience (at least in terms of variety and zippiness) gives it a leg up.
What you’re describing is people exercising their own judgement, not falling prey to some nefarious psychological ploy.

Professortango1

What do you say to those who enjoy Mission: BREAKOUT? Have they fallen victim to what you call Disney’s gaslighting?
People enjoy the Fast and Furious/Aquaman movies as well. Would I call any of them good or well made? No, but if people enjoy them, that's fine.

What I will say, is that Imagineers were very open about trying to combat the feeling of fear built into the attraction design of TOT and force it to have a more positive party atmosphere. For me, it doesn't work. The ride was designed to make me nervous and have trepidation and it does, but the ride fights so hard against it.

Part of the enjoyment is the music and constant movement. They took a ride that had more cerebral moments leading up to the thrill and just made it super loud and bouncy. So loud that you can no longer hear the dialogue they paid someone to write and actors to record.

For me, TOT 2.0 that DLR and DLP received were a great improvement over the original model in terms of ride structure, effects, and pacing. Mission BO feels like a Universal attraction to me with cheaper feeling sets, screens replacing the two show scenes and practical effects, and the reliance on music and member berries to carry the thin experience. And not a USO attraction, but the smaller USH version they adapted for the smaller space.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
TOT 2.0 that DLR and DLP received were a great improvement over the original model in terms of ride structure, effects, and pacing
You are the first person I have ever heard state that opinion. I would be fascinated to hear your explanation, but it would probably fit better in another thread.

mesaverdes

Maybe you don’t know what gaslighting is…?
1. psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

2. the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage

I don’t think either of these definitions apply here given what we know about the ride.

Professortango1

Today I learned no one knows what gaslighting means.
I love the film the term originated from. But I would call convincing someone that the experience they are having isn't accurate and correct to be gaslighting. Sure, for a theme park ride it isn't some dangerous exploitation tactic that causes trauma. But it is like my mom dragging my sobbing butt onto Boomerang at Knotts Berry Farm and smiling at me while telling me "you're having so much fun! You're loving it!" Disney has just replaced my mom with happy music and animatronics trying to frame a drop attraction as not scary at all.

gorillaball

Today, I'm waiting for the damned thing to open so we can have criticisms of an actually experienced attraction.
Which usually end up being a small % of the non experienced attractions. We wouldn't have 550+ pages of each attraction build up if we couldn't prematurely criticize testing and rumors. Lights are too blue, too bright, too orange, only on the bottom, good on bottom too bright on top etc etc. Not detailed enough AA, not enough # AA, AA that is talking to the wrong person. Truck isn't dirty enough, truck wouldn't have those signs, oh it might have those signs but it wouldn't be that font. Grammatically context of the word employee owned, actual but not publicized employee owned, Co-op. Mountain, mound, hill, hiding the mountain, scaring little kids secretly, not scaring anybody enough, baby ride - I'm tired. It keeps the message boards active though, and as long as it's kept in the right perspective it's all good and healthy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Taking a note: Some people are of the opinion it's a good thing for a ride to get you extra scared leading up to a thrill event. And consequently, they are of the opinion that they don't like it when the ride doesn't get you extra scared in preparation for a thrill event.

Noted. We've seen and heard you. I'm not going to argue you shouldn't have that opinion. That opinion is just fine.

You can stop bringing it up every 5 pages.

Professortango1

You are the first person I have ever heard state that opinion. I would be fascinated to hear your explanation, but it would probably fit better in another thread.
I will say I am in the minority, but there are still quite a number of people on these boards who have said the same thing. I've written out my defense of the 2.0 TOT somewhere in the DLR forum awhile back. Everything to the ghost story being focused on more than iconography from the show, having the same entrance/exit point to play up the delirium, and the faster pacing and improved narration adding scares and tension instead of quiet moments while the car fumbles around in the darkness like a kid on Prom night.

I know OLC preferred the 2.0 ride design as well, hence their decision to use that for TDS.

James Alucobond

1. psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

2. the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage

I don’t think either of these definitions apply here given what we know about the ride.
He's joking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom