News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

I love the film the term originated from. But I would call convincing someone that the experience they are having isn't accurate and correct to be gaslighting. Sure, for a theme park ride it isn't some dangerous exploitation tactic that causes trauma. But it is like my mom dragging my sobbing butt onto Boomerang at Knotts Berry Farm and smiling at me while telling me "you're having so much fun! You're loving it!" Disney has just replaced my mom with happy music and animatronics trying to frame a drop attraction as not scary at all.
This suggests certain ride mechanisms have one correct emotional response and that any attempt at subverting expectations is a nefarious form of psychological manipulation. First, it’s not, and second, if we’re somehow trying to be sensitive to children, you have literally no idea what will set them off. I’ve been with kids who were giddy throughout Splash and then sobbed horribly when confronted with the Small World dolls.

ToTBellHop

1. psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

2. the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage

I don’t think either of these definitions apply here given what we know about the ride.
I was making him question his understanding of gaslighting. Gaslighting the gaslighter!
1713909166911.gif

Professortango1

This suggests certain ride mechanisms have one correct emotional response and that any attempt at subverting expectations is a nefarious form of psychological manipulation. First, it’s not, and second, if we’re somehow trying to be sensitive to children, you have literally no idea what will set them off. I’ve been with kids who were giddy throughout Splash and then sobbed horribly when confronted with the Small World dolls.
You are absolutely correct. All people are different and all rides can be different. I was just speaking generally about lift hills and drops and the psychological effects of such features in attractions typically.

I'm also using our knowledge of this upcoming experience and comparing it to similar Disney re-themes. FEA for example takes the backwards section and, while it wasn't scary before, moving backwards is an unnatural way for us to experience things typically and the original design used that as we were pushed away by trolls and over a waterfall. The retheme has us moving backwards, but for no real reason other than the ride was built like that. So as we back away from Elsa, it doesn't feel scary of anything, but it doesn't quite make sense for myself and others because the unusual and disorienting nature of the movement doesn't tie in to what the attraction is conveying for our experience. Its not bad, just not as strong as what was there before because of this disconnect between action and psychology.

MerlinTheGoat

It's possible for something to have a darker edge and create a sense of tension without being crap-your-pants terrifying. For example, i've never found Pirates of the Caribbean to be scary, but it certainly has an edginess to it as well. Even something as silly as Mr Toad's Wild Ride had it, as do many other classic dark rides (1971's Snow White ride at WDW actually WAS genuinely scary though for a lot of younger kids back when, myself included).

Oh and BTW,
there was/is a crane in Mr Toad. Just in case no one mentioned that yet lol!

James Alucobond

You are absolutely correct. All people are different and all rides can be different. I was just speaking generally about lift hills and drops and the psychological effects of such features in attractions typically.

I'm also using our knowledge of this upcoming experience and comparing it to similar Disney re-themes. FEA for example takes the backwards section and, while it wasn't scary before, moving backwards is an unnatural way for us to experience things typically and the original design used that as we were pushed away by trolls and over a waterfall. The retheme has us moving backwards, but for no real reason other than the ride was built like that. So as we back away from Elsa, it doesn't feel scary of anything, but it doesn't quite make sense for myself and others because the unusual and disorienting nature of the movement doesn't tie in to what the attraction is conveying for our experience. Its not bad, just not as strong as what was there before because of this disconnect between action and psychology.
Mostly agreed, but still not gaslighting. You’re just describing dissonance as an occasional unfortunate side effect of rethemes that aren’t perfectly realized. I wasn’t gaslit by Up just because I didn’t expect to be sad after the first five minutes. I didn’t question reality.

Professortango1

Mostly agreed, but still not gaslighting. You’re just describing dissonance as an occasional unfortunate side effect of rethemes that aren’t perfectly realized. I wasn’t gaslit by Up just because I didn’t expect to be sad after the first five minutes. I didn’t question reality.
I apologize if I used the term too broadly. I thought I was clearly speaking in an analogy of being told to experience something one way that is contrary to how the experience makes us feel, but that wasn't clear obviously.

zipadee999

The thrill rides which don’t have an inherent antagonist or sense of threat or danger all deal with things that are thrilling in themselves, such as zipping through the void of space all the way to the chiropractor and careening through an abandoned gold mine.

These attractions are designed to be thrilling the entire time. Once you disengage the lift, you’re going to be thrilled simply by the track layout until you hit the brakes. Splash was not designed like this. It was designed purely as a series of slow floats to build anticipation for the drops ahead. This is why it needs some ‘edge’ that other thrill rides do not necessarily need. The ride itself relies on the sections between drops to build fear and anticipation for said drops. Without these sections, the drops are the same you could find at any six flags park. The true thrill comes from the dread/excitement the ride gradually builds throughout.

This is the same situation as the DL TOT. The most important part of the attraction was the slow climb that continued to tease the drop. 50% of the thrills came from the looming threat of the drop alone, not purely the drop itself. When the ‘buildup’ is removed, only the physical thrill remains, no longer the psychological thrill.

In the Parks
No
Not to steal @Drew the Disney Dude's own thunder but, new banner alert:

Oh boy, I really don't mean to be so critical, but what the...

That quote doesn't belong in any attraction. Period, end of story. If the auctioneer said it on Pirates, I would hate it. If Simba said it on the Lion King flume ride, I would hate it. If Brer Rabbit himself said it on Splash, I would hate it.

It's a great line from Walt. It's more than that, it's iconic. To appropriate it in this way is so incredibly off-putting.

[and now I'll head into my bomb shelter to withstand the blows...]

mickEblu

Oh boy, I really don't mean to be so critical, but what the...

That quote doesn't belong in any attraction. Period, end of story. If the auctioneer said it on Pirates, I would hate it. If Simba said it on the Lion King flume ride, I would hate it. If Brer Rabbit himself said it on Splash, I would hate it.

It's a great line from Walt. It's more than that, it's iconic. To appropriate it in this way is so incredibly off-putting.

[and now I'll head into my bomb shelter to withstand the blows...]

My problem with it is these things start making you think harder than you have to (or should) and make it more difficult to suspend disbelief. Why is there a banner hanging on this mountain side right before we enter the final show room which is supposed to be set in the city in New Orleans? The act of entering the show building can subconsciously signal that you are at a new location but when you put the banner in front now you are essentially saying that even the outdoor part of the flume with the mountain outside is part of New Orleans proper. Some straight up rookies working on this project.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom