News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MagicHappens1971

No, they want the mountain to look smaller because it's being rethemed from a mountain to a salt dome, and salt domes aren't as tall as mountains.
There's probably nothing as tall as Splash Mountain in Louisiana anyway...
The idea that they're trying to appeal to a younger audience than before just doesn't actually make any sense.
This doesn't really make sense to me. They're taking a "thrill" attraction and retheming it to center around a "Disney Princess", who's target audience is younger children.

I think it could be said that they are trying to shorten the mountain for thematic purposes, but on the other hand they were planning on making it taller with Mama Odie's tree. Whether that was cut for budgetary or story reasons is to be told. On the topic of thematic purpose, this "Salt Dome" doesn't fit in Fronteirland anyway.

I also wasn't saying that they're "trying to appeal", I'm saying that the IP they have chosen for this attraction DOES appeal to a younger audience and they don't want it to seem as daunting to the little girl in her Tiana dress.

WorldExplorer

I really, really hope making the mountain look shorter is for the salt dome concept and potentially making the drop look less intimidating is just an unfortunate side effect no one thought of.

Trying to convince kids to get on the ride by pushing it as not as intense as it actually is is just mean. Needlessly mean.

If they didn't want to scare off kids that like Tiana/princesses, well, we're far past the stage where that should've been considered. Now the Tiana ride has a forty foot drop. Some kids won't want to get on. Those kids should go to Princess Fairytale Hall, not be lulled into a false sense of security.

I hope it's just terrible planning and not thinking things through, and not "well, we want a family friendly ride, so we'll PRETEND the thrill ride is one!".

Vegas Disney Fan

Going to go out on a limb and say if people wouldn't like a generic water tower and wouldn't like a water tower with a tacky crown on the top then the solution would be to not make a water tower.
I find it a weird combination, why would a company go through the expense of adding a Tiara to the top of a water tower and then leave the tower wood and just slap a generic name on it?

I think they should have dolled it up, why bother with the expense of a Tiara but not paint the rest to match?

Bocabear

This doesn't really make sense to me. They're taking a "thrill" attraction and retheming it to center around a "Disney Princess", who's target audience is younger children.

I think it could be said that they are trying to shorten the mountain for thematic purposes, but on the other hand they were planning on making it taller with Mama Odie's tree. Whether that was cut for budgetary or story reasons is to be told. On the topic of thematic purpose, this "Salt Dome" doesn't fit in Fronteirland anyway.

I also wasn't saying that they're "trying to appeal", I'm saying that the IP they have chosen for this attraction DOES appeal to a younger audience and they don't want it to seem as daunting to the little girl in her Tiana dress.
But is Tiana's target audience younger children? I mean I know lots of toddlers like to imagine they are running an employee owned foods factory and co-op... I think the whole storyline is aimed at an older, not younger audience with the new storyline and entrepreneurial Community-leader/ manufactured Foods producer Tiana... seriously....

yensidtlaw1969

There are 5 mountains in Louisiana that are each taller than 450 feet.

Think about it - all of these points apply just as readily to Splash Mountain as well.

Splash was a "thrill" attraction about a hopping bunny, from a movie whose target audience was families, same target audience as Princess and the Frog.

The 52 Foot Drop isn't changing, nor is it being obscured. The height requirement isn't changing. Those elements will be just as limiting as they ever were to smaller guests. The human scale will not be changing - seeing people plunge down a steep drop will look just as daunting as before, whether or not the mountain around it cheats its height upwards a bit or not. I just don't think it's realistic that children who couldn't or wouldn't ride before are suddenly gonna change their mind because of the Water Tower - be real, the forced perspective on the Splash exterior was never that extreme. The drop looks big because it is, and it still is.

Mama Odie's tree was cut for structural reasons. It was discovered the existing mountain couldn't support it safely. Or so I've heard. But a Louisiana Salt Dome makes just as much (or as little) sense in Frontierland as the Red Hills of Georgia did.

Incomudro

No, they want the mountain to look smaller because it's being rethemed from a mountain to a salt dome, and salt domes aren't as tall as mountains. None of Louisiana is known for excessive elevation, so they're downplaying the height to fit that new story.

The idea that they're trying to appeal to a younger audience than before just doesn't actually make any sense.
What portion of park goers know what a salt dome is?
Is geological accuracy of that level really necessary for this ride?
Why not have it still actually appear tall for the sake of the external visual impact of the ride over some accuracy that's completely unnecessary.

Incomudro

I find it a weird combination, why would a company go through the expense of adding a Tiara to the top of a water tower and then leave the tower wood and just slap a generic name on it?

I think they should have dolled it up, why bother with the expense of a Tiara but not paint the rest to match?
I actually get the reason they would do it this way.
The tower would already exist, and Tiana and company would hire someone they know to fabricate the tiara out of metal which they would affix to the tower.
While I'm no fan of the tower per se, I support their approach to it.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I think it was because Mama Odie's tree would've affected the structural integrity of the mountain, a problem that has been addressed in a terribly sloppy way.

DisneyHead123

I agree it's thematically off. Visually, the water tower goes well with Frontierland but I think they also wanted something that said "Princess!" for the sake of tapping into the princess audience, hence the tiara. The problem is that tiara-wearing princesses had little to do with the American frontier. I think they would have been better off going all in on the New Orleans Square look, as at least a tiara might kinda go with that. If they eventually build Tiana's Place maybe they can do more with the "New Orleans Castle" theme and bridge it that way.

Nubs70

Looking back at geology text books, Salt Domes in Louisiana are not above ground structures. The dome is actually below grade.

In the backstory, is there any mention what Tiana is going to do with said salt dome after its lifespan is over? Will she lease it to the government to be used for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve?

Sir_Cliff

Splash has a 40" height restriction.

Most children hit that by 4 1/2 years old.

Is PatF really targeted at children younger than that?
I guess the more relevant question is if Splash was targeted at children of that age.

If it was actually targeted at an older age than 4 1/2 year olds, then it becomes more of an issue of whether there is a significant amount of children who like PatF who might be scared by the thrill element. I don't have kids, but I suspect Splash may have been intimidating to children of younger ages.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looking back at geology text books, Salt Domes in Louisiana are not above ground structures. The dome is actually below grade.
Avery Island, as the name suggests, rises above sea level due to the salt dome. It's height is 163'.

Avery Island (historically French: Île Petite Anse) is a salt dome best known as the source of Tabasco sauce. Located in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States, it is approximately three miles (4.8 km) inland from Vermilion Bay, which in turn opens onto the Gulf of Mexico. A small human population lives on the island.​
Avery Island is surrounded on all sides by bayous (slow-moving, muddy rivers), salt marsh, and swampland; it sits about 130 miles (210 km) west of New Orleans.[6] The island was a sugar plantation formerly known as Petite Anse Island.[2] (Petite Anse means "Little Cove" in Cajun French.) Access to the island is via a toll road (technically a very low toll bridge), though a toll is no longer charged for visitors, including tourists.​
At its highest point, the island is 163 feet (50 m) above mean sea level.[6] It covers about 2,200 acres (8.9 km2) and is about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) across at its widest point.

Also, there's Lake Peignar which is next to Jefferson Island salt dome. It is the site of the famous salt mine sink hole disaster.

Anyhoos, Jefferson "Island" salt dome is 50 feet above the surrounding land. And now, much higher than the dry lake bed caused by the sink hole.

1689221724128.png

Now, I couldn't find any resources to justify the historicity of turning people in to frogs or talking crocagators who can play horn. I'm sure all those looking for real-world evidence of what they see on a Disney ride are just as concerned about that.

Nubs70

Avery Island, as the name suggests, rises above sea level due to the salt dome. It's height is 163'.

Avery Island (historically French: Île Petite Anse) is a salt dome best known as the source of Tabasco sauce. Located in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States, it is approximately three miles (4.8 km) inland from Vermilion Bay, which in turn opens onto the Gulf of Mexico. A small human population lives on the island.​
Avery Island is surrounded on all sides by bayous (slow-moving, muddy rivers), salt marsh, and swampland; it sits about 130 miles (210 km) west of New Orleans.[6] The island was a sugar plantation formerly known as Petite Anse Island.[2] (Petite Anse means "Little Cove" in Cajun French.) Access to the island is via a toll road (technically a very low toll bridge), though a toll is no longer charged for visitors, including tourists.​
At its highest point, the island is 163 feet (50 m) above mean sea level.[6] It covers about 2,200 acres (8.9 km2) and is about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) across at its widest point.

Also, there's Lake Peignar which is next to Jefferson Island salt dome. It is the site of the famous salt mine sink hole disaster.

Anyhoos, Jefferson "Island" salt dome is 50 feet above the surrounding land. And now, much higher than the dry lake bed caused by the sink hole.

View attachment 729857

Now, I couldn't find any resources to justify the historicity of turning people in to frogs or talking crocagators who can play horn. I'm sure all those looking for real-world evidence of what they see on a Disney ride are just as concerned about that.
Is that picture forced perspective?

JoeCamel

In the backstory, is there any mention what Tiana is going to do with said salt dome after its lifespan is over? Will she lease it to the government to be used for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve?
I thought she would flood it and give it to Nemo

Fox&Hound

I wish they would have just ignored the whole “there aren’t mountains in Louisiana” issue and kept it as is. There aren’t talking alligators or animals that play instruments either.

Someone else said it a while back, but I agree 100%: I go to Disney parks to ignore the world and its problems. I want to get lost in Fantasy. I want to have fun and be silly. All of this attention to hyper realism is unnecessary and off-putting.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Well clearly they are playing to children younger than 4 1/2 years old... with all this supposing about salt domes and the proper geological features of a salt dome, and how high they can be...lol
None of this should matter to the attraction...It is a raised section of land....and 50' rise from sea level is not really that high ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom