News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Disstevefan1

Re: Dozens

Is this in addition to or as replacement? Of the "24" I figure a dozen are limited motion, 6 are animatic being between limited motion and fluid, fully-animated AAs and 6 are the typical big figs. Still leaves a sparse offering UNLESS some of the original SotS/AS AAs are included as well.
I am going to out on a limb and say all the old animatronics will be pulled out and we will get at least 24, UNLESS there are last moment budget cuts, in that case there will be some number less than 24.

With the erasure of Splash, Disney gets to accomplish two things; get rid of an attraction they don't like AND COST REDUCTION; getting rid of old technology that is too old, too numerous, too expensive to maintain.

Just my opinion.

WDW Pro

Well, off the top of my head... there was a claim that Disney didn't care about anybody being uncomfortable with Splash Mountain's existence and just wanted to sell Tiana dolls and "Instagrammable" food... there was @WDW Pro's claim that the retheme was announced out of fear that the people demanding it would start a Disney Plus boycott... there was a claim that this retheme dates back to 2017 and was thought up because Splash Mountain merchandise wasn't selling all that well...

And where does Frederick Chambers fit into this? I still doubt it's just a coincidence that he had the exact same idea that Disney was planning.

And I was right. That's why it took them from two years to come up with a plan for what the heck this thing would be. They had a blue sky drawing and that was it. Then when it was taken to structural engineering, they discovered the building couldn't be retrofitted to look like the concept, the budget wouldn't allow it, and now we get a water tower.

Smiley/OCD

I generally avoided getting wet on Splash Mountain by asking to sit at the very back—it worked pretty well! But I realise I’m unusual in disliking the feeling.
If I’m there in December (which we have been the last 2 trips) and the high temps are in the high 50’s/low 60’s, I 100% agree with you!! There’s no worse feeling of cold AND wet…the only reason we dealt with it was because it was closing, and we rode it 12 times in the week we were there…but in that week, trust me, I was glad the cannons weren’t working. I WILL say though, the wettest we got was after the last drop and before you go into the paddle ship scene, where the water comes down the side on your right…the logs have a habit of backing up there…hit it wrong, and no amount of protection will keep you from getting drenched!

WDW Pro

I am going to out on a limb and say all the old animatronics will be pulled out and we will get at least 24, UNLESS there are last moment budget cuts, in that case there will be some number less than 24.

With the erasure of Splash, Disney gets to accomplish two things; get rid of an attraction they don't like AND COST REDUCTION; getting rid of old technology that is too old, too numerous, too expensive to maintain.

Just my opinion.

People should temper their expectations outside of two animatronics in particular. The word "animatronic" has a broad spectrum of meaning.

BagOfGroceries

Just my opinion.
You are the rare bastion of agreed upon by everyone rationality.

Fox&Hound

The announcement brings me hope I just wish they would bring Facilier back; I think that would make so many people excited about this ride. I feel like he was one of the last great classic villains Disney has created, although I hear Wish is set to have a classic "pure evil" villain rather than the twist villain DIS has been so fond of lately.

Disstevefan1

Photos from today

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/tianas-bayou-adventure/gallery/13apr2023-tiana's-bayou-adventure-construction---april-13-2023.htm

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_51341.jpg

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_51344.jpg

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_51351.jpg

More at https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/tianas-bayou-adventure/gallery/13apr2023-tiana's-bayou-adventure-construction---april-13-2023.htm
EraseSplashIsFine.jpg

gorillaball

Wait - you want to have the beignet smells organically come from an actual beignet stand in the area where we cattle can buy a bag of 3 for $18.99 after we ride (add powdered sugar for only $4.99 extra!)?

Surely you jest.

They're going to spend $5 million to Imagineer a state-of-the art fried dough olfactory stimulus system where a bunch of Ray's grand-fireflies will be farting beignet smell throughout the queue.

Disneyland: But don't let this stop the negativity...
1681402429881.png

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 710157

^^So we're in complete agreement on the piece that was released with the retheme's announcement. This is precisely the sort of artwork I'd like to see more of. Unfortunately, the other images you shared do not even come close to replicating the quality and aesthetic seen here.

It may very well come down to opinion and preference, but to me, the cartoony concept pieces look like they were thrown together in Procreate at the last minute in an effort to give the DisneyParks Blog something to post 🤷‍♂️. They're not really good for anything; they look like they could have been torn out of a Dollar Tree coloring book, scanned into a computer, and colored using art software.

I can understand not having any particular love for that second image in the post you quoted, but I'm not sure what sort of gulf you're seeing between these three renderings:

1681403296423.png

1681403306483.png

1681403317787.png

V_L_Raptor

It's disturbing that they didn't wrap some form of scrim around to obscure this view.

Possibly because they don't have a lot of natural windbreaks at the top of that structure. Sure, they could do tarps with slits cut for airflow, but they'd still be sails to some extent. They don't exactly need sails up there.

Incomudro

View attachment 710157

^^So we're in complete agreement on the piece that was released with the retheme's announcement. This is precisely the sort of artwork I'd like to see more of. Unfortunately, the other images you shared do not even come close to replicating the quality and aesthetic seen here.

It may very well come down to opinion and preference, but to me, the cartoony concept pieces look like they were thrown together in Procreate at the last minute in an effort to give the DisneyParks Blog something to post 🤷‍♂️. They're not really good for anything; they look like they could have been torn out of a Dollar Tree coloring book, scanned into a computer, and colored using art software.
Unfortunately, poor concept artwork isn't new to Tiana's ride.
Disney's been putting out what I consider to be poor concept art out for many years now.

MerlinTheGoat

The couple dozen AAs mentioned should be legit high quality ones. You can probably breath easier on that matter. Non projected as well from what I've heard, I expect the human characters to be comparable to Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast figures, probably the same models (A1000).

There are also some less advanced ones too among this number, but still good enough to classify them as solid legit AAs. If we were dealing with something like Little Mermaid or Stormtrooper BS for a significant amount of the figures, I'd have been told.

I don't believe WDWpro's current info on this attraction at all. He's working off a mixture of old news as well as stubbornly sticking with his own obsessive biases. The budget has also skyrocketed from the $40 million stated, despite what it might appear from the exterior.

I was initially told that the old America Sings figures would be reused as well. So far we've seen a couple of the old possum figures from the art, and I could also see them reskinning others for the new attraction. Makes sense. But we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom