News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Smiley/OCD

To be fair, that’s supply and demand in action. As soon as it was announced Splash was closing, out came the e-scalpers to hoard as much as they could.

Disney cut down their SM merch to whatever being made for Tokyo; they pinched the supply, but demand spiked thanks to SM fans scrambling for the last bits, so prices naturally reacted.
True, but you can’t blatantly make the argument that no quantities of SM are selling when no merchandise is being offered for sale…it’s a flawed and skewed argument.

yensidtlaw1969

True, but you can’t blatantly make the argument that no quantities of SM are selling when no merchandise is being offered for sale…it’s a flawed and skewed argument.
Splash Mountain items were being sold in shops before the closure announcement. They just weren't being bought in any meaningful quantity. It's silly to try to skew things like you don't understand that.

LittleBuford

I think releasing some actual, quality artwork the way the company used to do would have been a very good start.
My sense (and I may well be mistaken) is that the practice of publicly releasing concept art for new attractions is fairly recent. Was any concept art released for Splash Mountain back in the day?

At any rate, I quite like some of the concept art that they’ve produced for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, but I realise that’s subjective.

Smiley/OCD

Splash Mountain items were being sold in shops before the closure announcement. They just weren't being bought in any meaningful quantity. It's silly to try to skew things like you don't understand that.
Funny, ONE plush and ONE mug…in the amount of times I’ve been there in the past 5 years…but hey, maybe I should’ve taken my sunglasses off when I entered World of Disney, the Emporium and the store at the end of Splash…

aladdin2007

Funny, ONE plush and ONE mug…in the amount of times I’ve been there in the past 5 years…but hey, maybe I should’ve taken my sunglasses off when I entered World of Disney, the Emporium and the store at the end of Splash…
There was also a couple of different frames at one time and a beach towel, a tumbler......but beyond that I cant recall anything else except for maybe a ride vehicle toy when they use to have those.

Cmdr_Crimson

Disney: All your favorite characters from Princess and the frog will be in the ride.....

Meanwhile on the "other side":
AcclaimedCircularAmethystsunbird-size_restricted.gif

cupofchai

Everything else about this project has been wildly reactive and overreactive, so why not
How is it "reactive" when AA's, moving figures and sets are already made and fabricated and waiting to be installed?

Everything else is promising, and I'll go as far as to say that I bet this ride will be very attractive visually.
Less stark than Splash was.
More lush, fuller set scenes, better and more updated lighting...
This is exactly what I'm expecting from the ride, vibe-wise.

I understand, which is why I would have preferred the ride be based on the film.
The sense of impending dread while being stalked by a Facilier is something I don't know how they are going to work around.
I don't think the sense of dread will be completely missed. Anticipate the laughing place to deliver on that with cool projected fog and light effects, setting the mood for a dark and spooky section before encountering Mama Odie.

At any rate, I quite like some of the concept art that they’ve produced for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, but I realise that’s subjective.
I quite like it too. Especially the updated one with the band of critters.

Smiley/OCD

There was also a couple of different frames at one time and a beach towel, a tumbler......but beyond that I cant recall anything else except for maybe a ride vehicle toy when they use to have those.
Yes, at one time…there was a whole series of plush and other items…all I am saying is that you can’t use the excuse that no one bought anything when you didn’t regularly have anything for sale.

Last edited:

Midwest Elitist

After a bunch of PR missteps that caused humanity to cringe (obviously hyperbole, don't @ me about it) suddenly, they've come to their senses about a ride that has been in production for 2 years (supposedly) and essentially stated what actually matters? I'll believe it when I see it, but my tolerance for pixie dust is at absurdly high levels, I'm not moved by this announcement.

Unbanshee

Comments from Tony Baxter in an article from the LA Times -

"Famed Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter, known for spearheading Big Thunder Mountain and his role in bringing the works of George Lucas into Disney parks, oversaw Splash Mountain’s creation and has served as creative advisor to Imagineering on the project. Baxter voiced his support for the makeover in a statement provided by Disney. In the comment, Baxter argues that Disney in the early to mid-’80s was often forced to look to the company’s deep past for inspiration, as its own films of the era struggled to resonate on a larger cultural scale."

“When Splash Mountain came to life over 30 years ago, the wave of Disney Animation that started with ‘The Little Mermaid’ had not yet begun,” Baxter said in a press release. “New stories would give us characters, music and wonderful places that now reside in the hearts of audiences everywhere. Following conversations with Imagineering’s leaders about the new attraction’s scope and resources, I had a great sense of reassurance — the attraction will be one to be proud of ... bringing to life places, characters and music from the animated classic ‘The Princess and the Frog.’”

These are not new comments. Baxter said this in 2020. Who knows if he's even still part of the project

Unbanshee

yensidtlaw1969

Yes, at one time…there was a whole series of plush and other items…all I am saying is that you can’t use the excuse that no one bought anything wham you didn’t regularly have anything for sale.

You act as if those things aren't related. Disney didn't stock Splash Mountain merch excessively because they had seen for years that Splash Mountain merch didn't sell particularly well. Splash is one of the few rides ever to have two dedicated themed gift shops in the same park, so it's not like they didn't try.

To that end, your assertion that there was no real selection of merch doesn't even hold up:

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.52.11 PM.png

1681339876346.png
Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.52.04 PM.png

1681339886646.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.52.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.52.15 PM.png

1681340068181.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.57.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 6.57.06 PM.png

I'd share more but I can only attach 10 images - and this is just stuff from the last couple years. You're acting like Disney had screwed guests out of the opportunity to buy Splash merch, but the reality is people basically just didn't buy much of it until the closure announcement created scarcity.

So not only are you being totally disingenuous, you're also in the wrong thread for this matter.

IronRod

My sense (and I may well be mistaken) is that the practice of publicly releasing concept art for new attractions is fairly recent. Was any concept art released for Splash Mountain back in the day?

Oh you bet, they glued it right to the side of the construction walls. There was even a 3D model:

Attachments

• IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 56

DCBaker

Premium Member
These are not new comments. Baxter said this in 2020. Who knows if he's even still part of the project

Even Google remembers that the Baxter quote is from 2020...from the LA Times...which is what is being cited here as being "new"

Appreciate you making me aware. Those two paragraphs were in the new article, but I didn't see an acknowledgment or reference that they were also in the article you linked to from 2020. I'll edit to make that clear.

V_L_Raptor

• Do you love beignets as much as Louis? Well, you’re in luck because the alluring scent of beignets being prepared for the party will be part of the attraction queue!

Look, I understand there are battle lines drawn over this attraction. I also understand that the day I ducked out of Animal Kingdom and waited through all the bus stops to get to and from the park just so I could go to Port Orleans for beignets and a po'boy meant a lot of wasted time just to get my paws on some deliciously dusted dough. If Disney doesn't make good on this attraction and start making those kinds of eats available at Pecos Bill's (apparent) replacement venue, I will be sorely disappointed. I won't have any interest in riding a flume ride, but at least I could find a reliable place to get something much tastier than theme park burgers.

Hopefully. Not that my disappointment matters a whit in the overall span of things, but still.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

4_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg
5_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg
6_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg
10_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg
2_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg
7_SplashMountainfromJef.jpeg

Attachments

• FnL8txXWYAIDMmv.jpg
    FnL8txXWYAIDMmv.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 27

LittleBuford

Oh you bet, they glued it right to the side of the construction walls. There was even a 3D model:

Thank you both! These pieces of concept art certainly give a better sense of the ride’s narrative than what they’ve released for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. I do wonder whether that’s because they based it on what had already been built in Disneyland three years earlier, though please do let me know if that version of the ride was likewise preceded by similarly detailed concept art.

At any rate, I still find the art for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure promising and attractive.

Tha Realest

This has been the most promising release so far, I think.

Nothing in it to snigger about, and confirmation of new AAs as well as a mix of original songs and others from the film. Not only that, but a Tony Baxter comment to the LA Times to reassure everyone he isn't angrily boycotting the whole thing!
Sadly, that comment was from 2020. In this ”new” article Todd Martens plagiarizes from his 2020 one but doesn’t given an update on the statement, which is why the updated information is conflated with the old and makes it seem like its a new quote.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom