News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Ghost93

I think Eisner didn't want to release it with a content warning. That and he was likely afraid of the backlash it could've gotten, even though the movie was literally rereleased in theaters under his tenure.
I think the culture shifted quite a bit from 1986, when SOTS was last released, and the 90s, and there was a growing sensitivity to how minorities were treated. Also, from what I understand, Disney had asked Maya Angelou to film an introduction to Song of the South to put it into a historical context. However, she apparently found the movie very offensive and threatened to join boycotts of the Disney company if they had ever planned to release it.

Disney probably wanted the public to forget the problematic elements of SOTS and feared releasing it in the 1990s could also lead to a protest of Splash Mountain.

Animaniac93-98

Disney probably wanted the public to forget the problematic elements of SOTS and feared releasing it in the 1990s could also lead to a protest of Splash Mountain.

Except the did release it in many countries that decade (including more than once in the UK) and included clips on things like the Sing-Along videos. In the 90s, the self-imposed ban was inconsistent and that just made things worse IMO.

In the late 80s, many Disney movies were re-released to theaters and then to video 6-12 months later. Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella etc. In hindsight, it's weird they didn't do that for SotS in 1987. Same with waiting almost 10 years to put The AristoCats to video after its last theatrical re-release.

TomboyJanet

I think Eisner didn't want to release it with a content warning. That and he was likely afraid of the backlash it could've gotten, even though the movie was literally rereleased in theaters under his tenure.
I know SOMEONE wanted to release it but my memory is foggy.

Annoyingly enough I just wanted to bring up that people shouldn't be rude at a Disney park. One of my last rides on splash mountain during filming was ruined by a couple of Valley Girls screaming the f word every time they got even one drop of water on them. I know it was chilly out but you CHOSE to go on a log flume girl! Suck it up buttercup! I bet they came from a rich OC town they had all Gucci purses and stuff.

TomboyJanet

I think the culture shifted quite a bit from 1986, when SOTS was last released, and the 90s, and there was a growing sensitivity to how minorities were treated. Also, from what I understand, Disney had asked Maya Angelou to film an introduction to Song of the South to put it into a historical context. However, she apparently found the movie very offensive and threatened to join boycotts of the Disney company if they had ever planned to release it.

Except the did release it in many countries that decade (including more than once in the UK) and included clips on things like the Sing-Along videos. In the 90s, the self-imposed ban was inconsistent and that just made things worse IMO.

In the late 80s, many Disney movies were re-released to theaters and then to video 6-12 months later. Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella etc. In hindsight, it's weird they didn't do that for SotS in 1987. Same with waiting almost 10 years to put The AristoCats to video after its last theatrical re-release.

I always thought they shoulda just released the animated segments alone on some kind of cartoon compilation vhs. The cartoon segments aren't really that offensive in fact I just always assumed they were talking in SOUTHERN dialect not a racial dialect, To be honest that's probably accurate to how everyone talked in the south back then. If not then someone should really look into how people think New Yorkers talk cuz I never heard anyone say JOYSEE without trying to be funny or mocking our neighbors to the south and west. Or of course on the Great Movie Ride which is just cheesy good fun. GOD I miss the GMR!

Sharon&Susan

I'm sorry if this is a controversial question to ask and I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask, but does the Committee's decision to void the agreement with Disney today mean anything for the construction of Tiana or are they safe from any possible meddling that could cause delays?

MagicHappens1971

I'm sorry if this is a controversial question to ask and I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask, but does the Committee's decision to void the agreement with Disney today mean anything for the construction of Tiana or are they safe from any possible meddling that could cause delays?
Since permits have already been issued, I don’t think so. Also someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the district can stop construction on a project once it has begun.

Ghost93

I wonder if the Florida/DeSantis feud could have been the main reason the Magic Kingdom version of Tiana's Bayou Adventure was fast tracked before the Disneyland version.

MagicHappens1971

I wonder if the Florida/DeSantis feud could have been the main reason the Magic Kingdom version of Tiana's Bayou Adventure was fast tracked before the Disneyland version.
I don’t think it was related. Most ”in the know” stated that there is one team working on this so they started in Florida and will migrate to California. There’s also a million other reasons why they did it a few months earlier, but I don’t think this is one of them.

TomboyJanet

Since permits have already been issued, I don’t think so. Also someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the district can stop construction on a project once it has begun.
That's good. Despite my dissapointment, I'm just really eager to see if this ride will actually be better than my low expectations. I'm still hoping for some last minute surprise like the last season of Picard.

GimpYancIent

Interesting point but the Florida/Disney legal issues are more cover and distraction for the Comrade Iger purge of TWDC than any reason to accelerate the completion of an attraction.

In the Parks
No
I don’t think it was related. Most ”in the know” stated that there is one team working on this so they started in Florida and will migrate to California. There’s also a million other reasons why they did it a few months earlier, but I don’t think this is one of them.
I heard differently. I heard there are two Imagineering teams working collaboratively but separately (i.e. in Florida and in California) on the attraction. My source did not give a reason for the delay in DL, though.

There are definitely insiders with a much larger track record than my source, so I don't really know what's true.

Disstevefan1

In Tiana’s attraction, Tiana is looking for the final ingredient, a band. It would be cool if she found the (what is now the country bears and what will be the New Orleans bears) it would tie in nicely with the newly re themed New Orleans bears attraction. You would get a little taste of the music on the ride and go see the full show at the New Orleans bears attraction.

I know, they would never do it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
latest construction pics

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/tianas-bayou-adventure/gallery/28apr2023-tiana's-bayou-adventure-construction---april-28-2023.htm

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_51582.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom