News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Vinnie Mac

Disney uses the term extremely loosely. They call the spinning beehive props animatronics on their website. That's where their marketing people get the "over 100" for Splash, when the actual number is like half that.
Dunno if this supposed to be a negative point against the ride but let's just say half of the animatronics are moving props, that's still a remarkable amount of kinetic movement on that ride. Lots of action going on.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Dunno if this supposed to be a negative point against the ride but let's just say half of the animatronics are moving props, that's still a remarkable amount of kinetic movement on that ride. Lots of action going on.
I think it's more to do with the whole "dozens" thing. Of those, how many are actual "animatronics" and not just a static critter that moves back and forth on the bones of a $20 oscillating pedestal fan? Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Works for Spirit Halloween) It's just not a good look comparatively -- if we're only getting 24-ish animatronics in this new version of Splash Mountain.

Disstevefan1

I think it's more to do with the whole "dozens" thing. Of those, how many are actual "animatronics" and not just a static whatsit that moves back and forth like an oscillating pedestal fan. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (It works for Spirit Halloween) It's just not a good look if we're only getting 24-ish animatronics in this new version of Splash Mountain.
I am holding them to at least 24 things that move. Strobe lights and fog machines not included.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This guy’s Twitter feed is often cited here. Is he always reliable? (To be clear, I trust what he’s saying, but I’m curious to know whether it should be taken as official confirmation.)
He's an actual journalist that goes by standard journalistic ethics. IOW, no click bait assumptions from spurious sources.

He can call Disney PR for confirmation on certain rumors and they at least pick up the phone for him.

yensidtlaw1969

I think it's more to do with the whole "dozens" thing. Of those, how many are actual "animatronics" and not just a static critter that moves back and forth on the bones of a $20 oscillating pedestal fan? Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Works for Spirit Halloween) It's just not a good look comparatively -- if we're only getting 24-ish animatronics in this new version of Splash Mountain.
Let's not forget that almost none of the animatronics were particularly advanced - I don't think Splash had any A-100's, even, despite the tech hitting the scene around the time Splash was being developed. The Hopping Brer Rabbit was complex (when he worked), but nearly everything else was older tech with far less dynamic motion.

It's not rare to have the focus of a scene set on one great Animatronic with simpler ones playing supporting roles to flesh it out. Even in Pirates most of the figures are animated pretty simply, with only a few leading characters like Jack Sparrow and the Auctioneer demonstrating any contemporary technical prowess. If they play that kind of card here it's absolutely possible for that to result in great staging.

OrlandoRising

He's basically (from what I understand) media, with a direct line to get info from Disney on stuff.

Yes, Scott has an actual background in journalism and works for Nexstar, the largest owner of local TV stations in the country. He also used to write for a now-defunct Disney-centric site called The Social Mouse. You can trust what he reports, he doesn't really play the rumor game as far as I've seen.

Heck, just using a real name and not disguising your voice is a major improvement over certain sources of "information" in our weird corner of the internet.

FettFan

I can understand not having any particular love for that second image in the post you quoted, but I'm not sure what sort of gulf you're seeing between these three renderings:

View attachment 710190

View attachment 710191

View attachment 710192

Quote frankly I thought that first one was just a Thomas Kinkaide Studios print that was released as a “what if”.

s3LkjP9mhsWJPaAaxQDKtj.jpg

Never believed it was actual concept art until it was confirmed by Disney theme parks blog.

Comped

Does anyone know if this holds any water? Beyond Pecos Bill?

Realistically, if the plan involves any changes to two additional attractions (Bears, possibly Big Thunder), I doubt they have the cash for it at the moment. Fans will likely protest anything changing to the bears as well (but at least we'll always have Tokyo bears)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom