News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

seabreezept813

He has been in an advisory role since he ‘retired’ from WDI back in 2013.
Although he is still active and contributes to WDI, being in an advisory role means he can offer suggestions and insights to those working on a project if asked.

Wether or not those working on said projects choose to listen to his advice is another matter.

One can give the most wonderful insights and advice you could imagine, but if people choose not to listen …well….it is their loss.
And ours, as well, in the end.

-
I think the biggest thing they didn’t take from Tony is the depth in scenes. Riding Small World (not a Tony ride per say, but a classic) I pointed out to my family how much there was to look at compared to Tiana’s. I think the newest imagineers are good at complex AAs but haven’t produced anything with enough to look at (Mickeys Railway maybe being an exception).

Casper Gutman

I think the biggest thing they didn’t take from Tony is the depth in scenes. Riding Small World (not a Tony ride per say, but a classic) I pointed out to my family how much there was to look at compared to Tiana’s. I think the newest imagineers are good at complex AAs but haven’t produced anything with enough to look at (Mickeys Railway maybe being an exception).
Yup. Modern Imagineering cannot construct scenes. It's a huge, very obvious failing.

I am so sick of preview videos showing off the latest flailing AA that will stand in an empty room and gesture at guests.

Tha Realest

The lack of tension on the lift hill is the biggest flaw of the ride. It makes what should be the most exciting part the most boring.
The entire attraction - the approach, the early peeks at the drop as you circle it, the mini drops that foreshadow the big one - is a masterclass in pacing and building anticipation towards that moment.

There are many problems with this new attraction, but one of the largest is its fundamental lack of appreciation for what the whole ride is built around, and towards.

TheMaxRebo

Finally got to see it in person, rode it twice last week

Overall we really enjoyed it. It is fun, and yes a simplistic story and I would have changed it up a bit (even just better explaining a reason why you, the rider was going into the Bayou - maybe the originally scheduled band had to cancel past minute and you need to tell Tiana and Louise they need to find a replacement and fast!)

Other than one Tiana and one Madam Odie figure not not having their mouths move, everything was working. Have to say, when the timing is on it is a great effect to have the characters turn to you and start talking to you, etc.

I do think there are spots that would benefit from having some more figure - even just simple movement ones - just to give something else to look at/for rather then feeling of waiting for the next scene to come.

My 10 yo daughter said she prefers this version, my 12 yo son said he prefers Splash but does recognize these animatrons are much better

Will be interesting to see how it all looks and feels when the update to Frontierland is complete

easyrowrdw

I think that’s a really good point. Although I feel like Runaway Railway is a lot to look at but not for much reason. It’s just random scenes of chaos and, for even less reason, dancing.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Yup. Modern Imagineering cannot construct scenes. It's a huge, very obvious failing.

I am so sick of preview videos showing off the "latest flailing AA" that will stand in an empty room and gesture at guest
Perfect description. They flail to show-off the technology, by not to advance the story. One could only imagine them in some of the classic rides...

Beware of hitch-flailing ghosts!

seabreezept813

I think that’s a really good point. Although I feel like Runaway Railway is a lot to look at but not for much reason. It’s just random scenes of chaos and, for even less reason, dancing.
True but it shows that tech and screens can be used to create more to a scene. Navi River gives a lot to look at too. The repeated screens of fireflies in Tiana’s just aren’t it. And in the film those scenes are excellent.

FettFan

The lack of tension on the lift hill is the biggest flaw of the ride. It makes what should be the most exciting part the most boring.

I would also say the depopulation of the ride is also a major flaw. In Splash, between the scenes of the Br’er Rabbit storyline, there was a population of characters from the fishing geese/storks, the occasional splashing fish jumping from the water, singing frogs, turtles riding on geysers, beehives, a possum family hanging from the branches above you, etc.

It was all very kinetic; even the static props had some form of motion associated with them, such as the static fishing gator that featured an animatronic Brer Frog sitting on his back.

All TBA has is scenery plus fireflies…which aren’t even the cool PotC fireflies, but cartoon projections.

FettFan

Navi River gives a lot to look at too.

I heartily disagree. That ride is a slog and a half with no payoff. In fact I would rate TBA higher, since TBA actually has a thrill element thanks to the drops.

All the wonderful alien animals dreamed up for the Avatar movie…and we just see some weasel projections.

Surely they could have put in an animatronic Blue Horse or Hammerhead Rhinoceros in there, yes?

mickEblu

I would also say the depopulation of the ride is also a major flaw. In Splash, between the scenes of the Br’er Rabbit storyline, there was a population of characters from the fishing geese/storks, the occasional splashing fish jumping from the water, singing frogs, turtles riding on geysers, beehives, a possum family hanging from the branches above you, etc.

It was all very kinetic; even the static props had some form of motion associated with them, such as the static fishing gator that featured an animatronic Brer Frog sitting on his back.

All TBA has is scenery plus fireflies…which aren’t even the cool PotC fireflies, but cartoon projections.

Considering what they replaced it’s baffling they thought they could get away with 1/3 the amount of figures (mostly low quality) and firefly projections. But yeah, let’s trust them replacing the ROA. Lol

Brer Panther

Exactly! The movie had background animals in it. They couldn't be bothered to put in at least ONE spoonbill?

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member

I've said my piece on this, but my biggest problem is how many scenes that were full of AAs were just replaced by nothing. The biggest offenders to me are:

- Five geese and three frogs being replaced by one Louis
- Raccoon/Porcupine and sweeping rabbits becoming screens
- Br'er Rabbit, Fox, and Bear in the bee cave (and all the spinning bees) being replaced by Mondo and a giant bottle.
- Br'er Rabbit being held by Br'er Fox and the Boothill Boys being replaced by screens.

It just leaves alot of dead space where the animatronics used to fit so seamlessly into the world, which is something I fear DL's will suffer worse from, given their increased animatronic count. Their opening scene has 17 figures alone (12 geese, 3 frogs, Br’er Frog)

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Considering what they replaced it’s baffling they thought they could get away with 1/3 the amount of figures (mostly low quality) and firefly projections. But yeah, let’s trust them replacing the ROA. Lol
What's more, they opted for underutilized high-caliber AA big figures that practically do nothing and paired them with the severely-limited motion figures that don't even rival the range of motion found in Spirit Halloween decorations. Seems they'd have been better off finding a happy medium between the two types. Hindsight. In doing so they probably could have given us a plethora of figures throughout the attraction instead of the sprinkling of poorly-staged vignettes where Tiana and Louis contribute little to the actual "story". Such a cluster.

FettFan

Exactly! The movie had background animals in it. They couldn't be bothered to put in at least ONE spoonbill?

Well…that wouldn’t be quite accurate as the only spoonbills you’d find around the New Orleans are in enclosures at the Audubon zoo.

You’d have to go west for them, out by Lake Charles and the Texas border.

You’d need blue herons, egrets, wood ducks.

And, strangely enough, bald eagles, they’re everywhere.

Cause ‘Murca. Heck Yeah.

easyrowrdw

True but it shows that tech and screens can be used to create more to a scene. Navi River gives a lot to look at too. The repeated screens of fireflies in Tiana’s just aren’t it. And in the film those scenes are excellent.
Yeah, I gotcha. I agree with that. I think the fireflies definitely would've been better as some kind of physical element

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom