News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
No. The ride will prove itself over time, good or bad. Thinking you can control the internet narrative would be a waste of time and money.
When has wasting time and money ever stopped Disney? I don't think the mouse is immune to spin. Surely they'd want to nip any negativity in the bud. But you're right in that whatever it is good or bad the truth will out in time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So you don't think Disney would incite an army of "payrolled" influencers to prop up TBA due to poor reception of their official on-ride video and the tepid word of mouth criticisms both here and elsewhere?
That would be incredibly stupid.

It only takes one paid influencer to break the NDA and say they were paid.

And since this conspiracy theory has been going on for a decade and no one's posting their "I was paid by Disney to pretend I liked their stuff," then, no, I don't believe this.

JoeCamel

So you don't think Disney would incite an army of "payrolled" influencers to prop up TBA due to poor reception of their official on-ride video and the tepid word of mouth criticisms both here and elsewhere?
I think you give them way too much SM credit. With the gaffes and blunders TDO has shown in the past they just don't have the skillz to manipulate the narrative like that. A few DMs saying how nice it would be to hear how they feel about it now but no armies with a coordinated agenda to save the ride buzz
That would be incredibly stupid.

It only takes one paid influencer to break the NDA and say they were paid.

And since this conspiracy theory has been going on for a decade and no one's posting their "I was paid by Disney to pretend I liked their stuff," then, no, I don't believe this.
Yeah, they do like to brag about special access even if they don't say they have special access

Consumer

Anyone who's been posting anything other than hate toward TBA has already been accused of being on Disney's payroll. So, the source is the mindset of many, who post here, that if someone has an opinion other than your own, they must be defective in some way. They're on the payroll. They're crazy dusters. They're CMs. etc...

It just amounts to an ad hominem. A childish schoolyard taunt.

And oh, the high dudgeon if someone does the same to them and call them 'haters.'
Corporations and politicians paying influencers for promotion Is a very common and normal practice. I don’t know why this is being treated as an unhinged conspiracy theory.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Corporations and politicians paying influencers for promotion Is a very common and normal practice. I don’t know why this is being treated as an unhinged conspiracy theory.
U.S. law requires disclosure of sponsorships on YouTube videos.

Keeping it secret, besides being illegal, exposes both the sponsor and the influencer future income if the public thinks they're corrupt if it's ever found out.

Ten years of bloggers, vloggers, and influencers. Still waiting for the secret sponsorships to become exposed...

SilentWindODoom

It doesn't seem necessary at all.

The company has a culture of extreme fandom loyalty and it's said that many won't say the wrong thing so they don't lose their access. If that's all in play, why outright pay people off? It's not like Big Tobacco paying off doctors to falsify studies.

The truth is if this were outright, 100% hated, then all they'd need to do is sit back and wait. People will still ride it. Children will grow nostalgia for it. Eventually it would all blow over. Sinking money into trying to turn the tide of popular consciousness seems like a waste of money and against the company's current philosophy according to the people suggesting it's happening.

Squishy

Keeping it secret, besides being illegal, exposes both the sponsor and the influencer future income if the public thinks they're corrupt if it's ever found out.

Ten years of bloggers, vloggers, and influencers. Still waiting for the secret sponsorships to become exposed...
It's only illegal if you get caught 🙃
Also I'm sure they got better things to go after than some Disney shill going nuts about a ride.

Consumer

Legality, schamaglity.

The EU, which also requires influencers disclose ad content, found 80% of influencers don't.

Again, influencers being paid to promote corporations is incredible normal.

Here's an example I saw recently on Instagram. This woman is not a Disney influencer, she's a beauty influencer, but Disney invited her to come experience the new ride and shill for it. No where on her post does it say this is an ad, but that's exactly what it is - opening date and all. Again, this is very normal corporate-influencer behavior.

It doesn't seem necessary at all.

The company has a culture of extreme fandom loyalty and it's said that many won't say the wrong thing so they don't lose their access. If that's all in play, why outright pay people off? It's not like Big Tobacco paying off doctors to falsify studies.

The truth is if this were outright, 100% hated, then all they'd need to do is sit back and wait. People will still ride it. Children will grow nostalgia for it. Eventually it would all blow over. Sinking money into trying to turn the tide of popular consciousness seems like a waste of money and against the company's current philosophy according to the people suggesting it's happening.
It's just part of the marketing budget. No different than buying up billboard space or commercial time.

Last edited:

haveyoumetmark

It's just part of the marketing budget. No different than buying up billboard space or commercial time.
Right... so why is it being treated with cynicism, derided like it's a reflection of the quality or public sentiment of the ride, as if it's some big 'gotcha' moment?

This is standard ubiquitous practice... I would be more surprised if they weren't doing this. It's not trying to "turn the tide of negative opinion," it's literally marketing and drumming up hype for one of their biggest new offerings this summer. They do more for less.

Consumer

Right... so why is it being treated with cynicism, derided like it's a reflection of the quality or public sentiment of the ride, as if it's some big 'gotcha' moment?

This is standard ubiquitous practice... I would be more surprised if they weren't doing this. It's not trying to "turn the tide of negative opinion," it's literally marketing and drumming up hype for one of their biggest new offerings this summer. They do more for less.
It's treated with cynicism because influencers aren't transparent about it. It's not a criticism of Disney but of social media. I think it's important to remember that the internet is full of deceit and dishonesty.

celluloid

In my opinion, some of the best attractions at the parks would look less than impressive on POV videos.
  • Tiki Room
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Space Mountain
  • Flight of Passage
If you can decide that a ride is bad based on a video that doesn’t capture even half of the ride experience, what are you basing your opinion on?
I have to laugh because these were presented and shown from Walt Disney himself in really their entirety before and at their opening on Walt Disney's own show.
It made people want to see it in person.
It never made many go "Gosh I hope this is better in person."

haveyoumetmark

I have to laugh because these were presented and shown from Walt Disney himself in really their entirety before and at their opening on Walt Disney's own show.
What an unfair and misleading comparison, back when these attractions and television itself were novelties.

_caleb

As @haveyoumetmark mentioned, what was impressive in the early days of television isn’t likely to capture imaginations in the same way today. And I don’t recall on-ride POV videos on Walt’s Disneyland TV show.

Do you honestly think that an on-ride POV video is just as good as actually experiencing an attraction?

celluloid

As @haveyoumetmark mentioned, what was impressive in the early days of television isn’t likely to capture imaginations in the same way today. And I don’t recall on-ride POV videos on Walt’s Disneyland TV show.

Do you honestly think that an on-ride POV video is just as good as actually experiencing an attraction?
No, not viscerally 1 to 1 but it gives a good indicator for those who have been in similar or same physical spaces before and fair to judge most things from. There is always variance, it can even be said at times as pov for some sold it better.

Don't forget, they use digital pov renders and layers over footage to design them for a pretty precise feel when designing.

Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, POTC, all had most of the the attractions in POV and B Roll combos to give good interpretation of what things were. Both Walt and post Walt.

Last edited:

celluloid

What an unfair and misleading comparison, back when these attractions and television itself were novelties.
What do you suppose instant streamable YouTube POV trends from companies and 360 videos in VR are for this Gen?
I think your history is a bit off. By the near mid 60s of Tiki and late of Pirates and Haunted Mansion TV in the house was no longer novel and news reels were in theaters with promotions long before that.

Same hype goal.

Like, seeing Hamilton live would always be a better experience for most who care. But it's fair to say the Disney Plus option gives a good idea.

Multi angle pov of a ride can do similarly. As a matter of fact, even better in some cases as although your choice to look around if not recorded in 360 is gone, it can be framed to hide flaws and direct to put your attention where intended.

Last edited:

_caleb

No, not viscerally 1 to 1 but it gives a good indicator for those who have been in similar or same physical spaces before and fair to judge most things from. There is always variance, it can even be said at times as pov for some sold it better.
You think the TBA POV released by Disney sold TBA well?
Don't forget, they use digital pov renders and layers over footage to design them for a pretty precise feel when designing.
You’re saying that because ride designers use digital POV renders to design rides, that a dark, fixed-view POV video with poor audio is enough to judge whether the pacing, animatronics, soundtrack, all add up to an enjoyable experience in person?
Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, POTC, all had most of the the attractions in POV and B Roll combos to give good interpretation of what things were. Both Walt and post Walt.
Oh, I’ve seen many of those. They were pretty good commercials for the rides back when they were released. Do you think the TBA POV was a good commercial for TBA?

celluloid

You think the TBA POV released by Disney sold TBA well?

Oh, I’ve seen many of those. They were pretty good commercials for the rides back when they were released. Do you think the TBA POV was a good commercial for TBA?
Modern marketing has used content social media.

I don't think it was polished like a televised bit or a Press release that generations past are typically used to pre opening. It was content. Not a tv spot.

It went for straight forward pov which many companies do now for such experiences. For leads people are not liking the old promos in the marketing world the way they used to. So a pov is more common than ever.

I think the pov accurately shows the product and the way it has been operating, which has not been great, even with the video omitting some of the flaws of the ride and framing.

It's a fair representation of what is there with editing to try and elevate it and hide some of its flaws(minimal and subtle editing)

Asking if it is a good commercial is a different question.

Last edited:

bwr827

Here's an example I saw recently on Instagram. This woman is not a Disney influencer, she's a beauty influencer, but Disney invited her to come experience the new ride and shill for it. No where on her post does it say this is an ad, but that's exactly what it is - opening date and all. Again, this is very normal corporate-influencer behavior.

Um, what? The beauty influencer literally led with a statement thanking Disney for the invite and included the hashtag “hosted”. It’s 100% clear this is an ad/promo exchange between her and the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom