News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

I can’t speak for this poster, but it was pretty common knowledge from the start of this project that he was going to be very lightly involved. Most people thought it was a PR move to save face with diehard parks fans
I've stated before that i'm not going by Disney's PR claims. I was told by an independent source (someone who is the farthest thing from a Disney shill as you can imagine) that Tony has (or had) a hand in this project. Whether he's still actively involved currently I don't know. But no bad blood was mentioned, it sounded like he and the team got along well and that they're using his ideas.

MagicHappens1971

Wasn't Tony brought in as a consultant, and not a lead imagineer?

And if the plans are finalized, why would a consultant stay on?
“Being able to participate as a creative advisor on the planning and design with the Imagineering team” This came from a Micechat article (I don’t usually trust them) but all of the other quotes came from DPB or other Disney sources. I can’t find anything quoted by Baxter from Disney, I wonder if they scrubbed it. Who knows? But like you said, why would he still be involved now that the design is done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
“Being able to participate as a creative advisor on the planning and design with the Imagineering team” This came from a Micechat article (I don’t usually trust them) but all of the other quotes came from DPB or other Disney sources. I can’t find anything quoted by Baxter from Disney, I wonder if they scrubbed it. Who knows? But like you said, why would he still be involved now that the design is done.
It's the old "Why does God need with a spaceship?" rejoinder!

Br0ckford

It's the old "Why does God need with a spaceship?" rejoinder!

c6b5a1e5-071e-493e-b60c-28f5ede5fcf3_text.gif

MerlinTheGoat

Lest i'm unclear about this (because again much of this was said in the other thread), I again didn't get my info from Disney's PR team. Since that would likely be the rebuttal to my comments. Anyone who is familiar with my posting history can tell you that I would not be allowing this project any benefit of the doubt without some sort of decent reason. The person who shared the info also hates that this project even exists in the first place (and the reasons behind it), as much as anyone else here. But they've said Tiana will likely turn out very well and has potential to be a worthy replacement based on what they've seen so far...

Unfortunately, the absolute worst aspect of this project is going to be the thing that is most focused on for a while, the destruction of the exterior. I also suspect we won't be given much info on the real "meat" of the ride (the interior) until much later. We've known for a while that the exterior of the ride will be pretty bad. As I understand it, not everyone working on the project are pleased about that either (or the Salt Mine backstory). What i'm waiting to see more of is the interior, which again is where the ride is supposed to shine. We'll see.

Provided i'm not dead when the ride opens, i'll be here to trash talk it if it turns out to be terrible. If anything happens to me though, well then consider this a proactive apology in advance for being wrong. At the present however, I have heard good things.

Wasn't Tony brought in as a consultant, and not a lead imagineer?

And if the plans are finalized, why would a consultant stay on?
A "consultant" means very little in and of itself without elaborating on the extent of involvement. It's a broad spectrum of influence. It can mean as little as a short two-sentence exchange where someone is told something and they give an opinion back (and their opinion could also be ignored), or it could mean they have an active and significant participation in something.

Most of us naturally assumed it was just the former, that Tony was paid to put out a PR statement giving his "blessing" to a project he had no real hand in. Before my source got information on the project, that's also what they assumed to be the case. This opinion did a complete 180 in the latter half of last year. I was told Tony's influence is very much significantly present in what they went with. If this wasn't the case, I'm quite certain this would have been conveyed to me. Or if he had left the project upset.

If Tony Baxter himself states something, I would take his word for it. Or if a reputable source here such as marni1971 verifies the nature of his involvement, I would also take it seriously. As of now and until I hear it from someone else I trust, i'll trust my own source.

Sir_Cliff

If Tony Baxter himself states something, I would take his word for it. Or if a reputable source here such as marni1971 verifies the nature of his involvement, I would also take it seriously. As of now and until I hear it from someone else I trust, i'll trust my own source.
I do find it kind of curious they haven't trotted out so much as a statement from Baxter since the project began, even just along the lines of enjoying working with the team and being excited about seeing the end result which he is sure fans will love. I completely understand why his role would not be the focus and why he wouldn't have been featured in any of the videos we've seen, but I am a little surprised we haven't heard anything from him about the new ride.

Even if they only paid him a token sum to reassure fans and then largely ignored his advice, they haven't even really used him for that purpose. It is even more surprising to me that he would be actively involved in developing the new ride in private, but both he and Disney was choosing not to mention that in public. That doesn't mean that's not the case, though you would have thought the notion of a legendary Imagineer working alongside a new generation of Imagineers to create a new classic would have been worth a line or two in a release somewhere along the way.

Brer Panther

Lest i'm unclear about this (because again much of this was said in the other thread), I again didn't get my info from Disney's PR team. Since that would likely be the rebuttal to my comments. Anyone who is familiar with my posting history can tell you that I would not be allowing this project any benefit of the doubt without some sort of decent reason. The person who shared the info also hates that this project even exists in the first place (and the reasons behind it), as much as anyone else here. But they've said Tiana will likely turn out very well and has potential to be a worthy replacement based on what they've seen so far...
Just out of curiosity, did this source also give any explanation as to what the actual reason this retheme was greenlit in the first place was? We've heard so much conflicting information on that...

MagicHappens1971

Just out of curiosity, did this source also give any explanation as to what the actual reason this retheme was greenlit in the first place was? We've heard so much conflicting information on that...
You’re never going to get an “actual reason”. The most likely reason(s) are, Disney wanted to remove SotS from the parks, and they want to make the parks “more relevant, more timeless, more Disney”, coupled with Disneys push for more inclusive stories and representation in the parks, they chose to use Tiana (PatF) to retheme Splash.

Also more merch sales, and synergy with the new Tiana show on Disney+.

Vegas Disney Fan

IMG_3434.jpeg

2 observations… 1) it’s not a drastic difference, and 2) despite not being a drastic difference it shows how well the stump worked as a “weenie” because prior to today I never noticed the 2 other trees on the right and left side, I always focused on the stump and waterfall.

That should make the imagineers happy if their intent really was to draw the eye away from the drop.

MerlinTheGoat

I do find it kind of curious they haven't trotted out so much as a statement from Baxter since the project began, even just along the lines of enjoying working with the team and being excited about seeing the end result which he is sure fans will love. I completely understand why his role would not be the focus and why he wouldn't have been featured in any of the videos we've seen, but I am a little surprised we haven't heard anything from him about the new ride.

Even if they only paid him a token sum to reassure fans and then largely ignored his advice, they haven't even really used him for that purpose. It is even more surprising to me that he would be actively involved in developing the new ride in private, but both he and Disney was choosing not to mention that in public. That doesn't mean that's not the case, though you would have thought the notion of a legendary Imagineer working alongside a new generation of Imagineers to create a new classic would have been worth a line or two in a release somewhere along the way.
I can only offer a theory I suggested in the other thread for this (not based on information given). But it seems highly plausible. It boils down to this ride being about a black female character (among other non-white characters who will feature in the ride), and the project heads are also black women. Tony Baxter is an "old white man" and also the person who created Splash Mountain in the first place (a ride they're scrambling to purge). I could see Disney being concerned about giving him too much exposure on a project like this, and taking the spotlight away from Carter and her team.

Another imagineer I was told was heavily involved in the initial phases was Bob Weis (prior to his departure). Another old white man, and you can dig up some things about him that would be considered problematic by today's standards. Namely, the scrapped Disney's America project, which Weis once described as- "We want to make you a Civil War soldier. We want to make you feel what it was like to be a slave or what it was like to escape through the underground railroad". That project caught some heat even back in the early 90s.

Splash Mountain was viewed as a "problematic" (racist) attraction by the company and they thought it would become a PR issue eventually. By Bob Iger especially. As I understand it, Disney were already considering replacement concepts before 2020 (along with alterations to other attractions deemed a PR liability). Though plans were early and wouldn't have been approved until much later in time (perhaps not at all) had said 2020 event not occurred.

They figured PATF would fix the Splash "problem" and provide good PR. It would also connect to a movie they're actually letting audiences purchase and watch. They believed it would push more merch than Splash too. The project was designed specifically for Disneyland originally, their Splash connects directly to New Orleans Square, so they just move the border to include Splash.

When the project was initially announced, they also wanted a lower budget (by Disney standards) replacement that was easier and cheaper to maintain. Hence the early "Lost Trumpet" version, which was an empty video projection heavy ride with a mass removal of AA's and physical scenery. This seemingly changed after the backlash over the project. The project morphed into something more ambitious and high budget. There's a realization that if they mess this up, there will be hell to pay. Despite what it looks like from the damage being inflicted on the exterior and the stupid backstory they've come up with.

I figured most of this was generally agreed upon. What conflicting info has there been?

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Because Disney has been trying to wash their hands of Song Of the South since the mid 90s and realized they nowhad a perfect chance to to bury the last remnants of the movie, which is the ride. Sure, Disney had kept the Br'ers around as Park Only characters with little to no mention of SoTS. Then when everything went to he-l-l and people called for Splash's head on a platter, they just decided it wasn't worth it to try to salvage the characters' reputation and retired them

FettFan

Sure, but that doesn't mean the retheme won't be really big with children and increase demand for Tiana merch. Look at how popular Frozen Ever After remains.

To be fair, we can’t really get an accurate gauge on frozen ever after’s popularity since there’s still so little for kids in World Showcase.

it’s not exactly Peter pans flight.

Brer Panther

I figured most of this was generally agreed upon. What conflicting info has there been?
Well, off the top of my head... there was a claim that Disney didn't care about anybody being uncomfortable with Splash Mountain's existence and just wanted to sell Tiana dolls and "Instagrammable" food... there was @WDW Pro's claim that the retheme was announced out of fear that the people demanding it would start a Disney Plus boycott... there was a claim that this retheme dates back to 2017 and was thought up because Splash Mountain merchandise wasn't selling all that well...

And where does Frederick Chambers fit into this? I still doubt it's just a coincidence that he had the exact same idea that Disney was planning.

Disstevefan1

I think I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; whether or not the retheme is an upgrade or a downgrade, it will attract the same amount of people simply because it’s the water ride of the park.
It will actually attract more when it reopens just like anything else because its new and folks want to see the changes and then it will as you say attract the same amount of people going forward.

It was a great ride before, and it will be a great ride after. TWDC made this change for themselves, not the guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom