News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Ayla

Something that was mentioned in the spoiler thread has me thinking...it was said there is a lot of lead-up in plot to the actual ride in the queue, and as someone that criticized the ride for not making a lot of sense based on the info we already had, this makes a lot of sense to me. Not going through the queue loses a lot of background information for what you're going to see.

Trauma

Splash is one of the greatest rides built by WDI.

Not breaking news
Yes but Tiana’s is as good or better!

Don’t believe your own eyes, you need to see it thru the lens of the general public.

If the general public rides this ride and thinks it’s as good as Splash humankind is in deep trouble, making the posters of this forum the last hope for humanity.

How exciting we are like super heroes or something !!

Trauma

Something that was mentioned in the spoiler thread has me thinking...it was said there is a lot of lead-up in plot to the actual ride in the queue, and as someone that criticized the ride for not making a lot of sense based on the info we already had, this makes a lot of sense to me. Not going through the queue loses a lot of background information for what you're going to see.
How much of this essential queue does the G+ line skip?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes but Tiana’s is as good or better!

Don’t believe your own eyes, you need to see it thru the lens of the general public.

If the general public rides this ride and thinks it’s as good as Splash humankind is in deep trouble, making the posters of this forum the last hope for humanity.

How exciting we are like super heroes or something !!
That was my mistake…I don’t realize the audience I was addressing in that discussion. No recollection prior to Iger makes any objective Disney parks debate impossible

HairyLegPirate

I have actively withheld judgment on this ride until it came out because any criticism beforehand, besides unproductive, would frequently be lumped in with bad-faith actors who wanted the ride to fail for personal/political beliefs.

Now that it's actually out and I have watched the Disney company approved ride through video I can say - seriously, what a snooze fest.

Some positives: The animatronics, what few there are, look spectacular. The finale actually seems populated and to have some life in it.

And now the bad: The whole thing feels like it was designed by committee - a committee that never saw Princess and the Frog other than looking at the poster. There's nothing about this ride that feels remotely like the style or feel of the movie to me. And beyond that, just more screens. Like I said, the animatronics, what few there are, look nice. But the laziness of screens continues to pervade the theme park industry. And the story? Is there a story? I mean I know ostensibly it's we need to find a band...for 10 minutes. I believe Jenny Nicholson said on the For Your Amusement podcast when talking about the ET ride at Universal: whatever happened to peril in rides? Removing the threat of Brer Fox or any antagonist gives this whole ride absolutely zero narrative tension! Not that I need Shakespeare out of a theme park ride to keep me engaged but I think I can sum it up like this:

Narrative tension is the difference between a ride full of singing and dancing animals feeling like an entertaining story for the whole family and a ride full of singing and dancing animals feeling like a kiddie ride. Splash Mountain was for everyone because there was a story to keep everyone in the log engaged. This feels like a kiddie ride...that little ones won't be able to ride because of the drop, so truly, who was this for?

This whole ride feels like another example of a subpar product made by a company that's too busy analyzing spreadsheets to actually understand what their brand is about. I forget where I heard this take, but it's relevant: Disney World continues to become the very thing people who were averse to Disney World always thought it was.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Who’s TDT?

So Disney doesn’t have any say in them rebuilding splash mountain with same theme?
Team Disney Tokyo. The Disney people in Japan. And they'll probably sign off if OLC signs over enough money, as we both know that's what TWDC cares about over anything else. They might try to fight it for a bit, but they'll likely concede to this rebuild eventually. It will probably be built in such a way it can be rethemed if need be, also

ChewbaccaYourMum

The people who are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to attend the D23 Expo are not doing it to boo Iger, they're doing it because of their love for Disney and what it has produced before.

I'm sure many people walked out of that presentation and said "Really? THAT'S all we're getting for Figment? I got so hyped for a second . . ." but in the moment most aren't set to attack, they're trying to enjoy what is happening so that their money feels well spent. That's generally how people are conditioned.

Once they're out of the throng of people who were also clapping along it's easier for most to download and process the information on its own merits. Which is why you don't see hour long lines to meet Figment despite a warm reception for the D23 Announcement.

Point being that generally an event like D23 isn't the kind to attract a mass of people who will engage critically in real-time, it's a destination for people whose optimism carry them over the paywall and keep them clapping over the breadcrumbs tossed between scattered actually-nice announcements.
I agree. I love going to D23 because of my fandom and passion to Disney. I know I said in my post "maybe it's time we did" in response to booing them on bad announcements, I don't think that would ever happen. And reflecting on my comment I agree it shouldn't. What's the point really?

LittleBuford

Okay, so this takes some nuance.

Pound for pound, yes, the Show Set Installation for Tiana's Bayou Adventure cost more for an install in an existing facility than it would for install in a facility that's being built new for the ride. Being able to control the workflow from scratch and not having to build everything essentially like a Ship in a Bottle is cheaper in the abstract for that specific line item. It is fair to say that's generally true for basically any sort of construction project. Here, things like the Finale structures could be constructed in place and have the building built around them as needed, rather than having to be designed to fit in pieces into the existing envelope without damaging either what's already there or what's going in and being as strong once assembled as they would be if it hadn't had to fit through predetermined openings. Generally that line item is cheaper for a new ride than for a retrofit.

The Riverboat for Splash was constructed in place and the building finished around it - it would have been more expensive to build the building and then build the Riverboat within it, which is why they didn't do that. That's just one example of being able to dictate the order of your work processes for optimal expenditure. Lots of choices like that were off the table for Tiana because the building was already there.

HOWEVER, the Splash Mountain facility is extremely complex and is itself expensive to build - so the separate line item for building such a facility structurally is not insignificant. Same with the ride system within it, and anything that already exists and was held over - foundations, hardscaping, landscaping, rockwork, queue buildings, gift shops, restrooms - not having to build those things from scratch IS an overall saved cost from Tiana's. Beyond the work that went into general refurb of those elements, that stuff was gifted to the new ride by being there already.

Say Disney were to built Tiana's Bayou Adventure from scratch somewhere else, without an existing Splash Mountain to overlay onto. Yes, there would be parts of the budget that could be shrunk by the ability to follow a more natural order of operations for construction and installation of all the equivalent show and control elements that were just installed in WDW's TBA. But it's not like that savings it so great it outweighs the cost of having to build the building from the ground up, you know? So the distribution of the money within the overall budget would shift, but the overall budget would still have to be larger.

You're not getting TBA from scratch for less than it cost to retrofit into Splash. You'd just find that some parts of the budget could be streamlined.
Thank you—this makes sense.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, I have officially ridden the attraction and have a lot of thoughts. Not sure how novel any of this is because the page count of this thread jumped by 70+ pages since I ducked out to avoid spoilers so I apologize for retreading any ground.

Where to begin? Perhaps a goods vs bads to lay everything out and then some final thoughts. I would also like to state that I was coming into the ride with moderate expectations leaning positive and attempted to view the attraction on its own merits separate from its history as Splash Mountain (but then found that harder and harder to commit to).

The queue is nice and I quite enjoy the radio loop playing. The radio in particular gives a vibe that a tiny slice of New Orleans Square has come to WDW and does a good job at establishing Tiana as an important public figure. I absolutely love the lush greenery of the interior sets and dark lighting. The critter bands are very cute and add a great bit of liveliness to the spots they appear. The A1000s of Tiana and Louis are all a treat to see in full motion. Upon first hearing the rumors that there would be a shrinking/transformation portion to the ride I was highly skeptical it would be a good choice, but I think it turned out well and was a fun way to display the animatronic frogs much larger, as well as call back to the film. The primary thing to praise here is the finale scene and original song. The energy in that scene is great and really delivers the most complete part of the experience.

I generally don’t think the screens in this ride are too egregious or overbearing - they are actually quite minimal - but the shot of giant Tiana and Louis looking at the riders in the shrunken portion is the worst visual offender of the ride. It genuinely feels out of place and their dialogue could have been delivered with audio only to convey the same thing. As many have mentioned, there are quite a few empty stretches along the ride between characters. Not every ride has to be filled with animatronics to be good, and not every animated figure has to have complex motion to be effective at conveying what it needs to, but there is still a lot to be desired from the emptier scenes. The space between the 2nd band and the transformation dip drop is particularly empty, so much so that while on the ride you just instinctively look to watch the boat ahead of you complete the dialogue with Tiana right before the dip drop, only to immediately hear it again directed at your own boat. Though the A1000s are lovely, they are mainly used to just look at the ride vehicles and gesture at things. The finale is the only scene where it feels like the any A1000s are actually doing something within the narrative like dancing or playing music. Perhaps the greatest flaw of the ride though is that it lacks any poignant stakes, dramatic tension, or low beats. When designing a linear narrative experience a writer will typically create a graph laying out where the emotional high and low points of a story will be so they can fluctuate in a logical and satisfying manner. It feels to me that if you were to make something like that for this attraction it would be super flat and monotone with a lone spike at the finale. And while it’s true that not every attraction needs a well executed narrative or complex emotional arc to be really good, the issue lies in the nature of the attraction being a replacement.

I really tried to let this ride live on its own merits separate from Splash Mountain, but the positive elements of this ride come at the expense of another attraction, and they extract a heavy toll. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is by no means a bad attraction and far from the worst retheme in WDW, but it does not live up to the narrative, emotional stakes, and technical feats of its predecessor. It’s very much like Runaway Railway in that sense; it’s quite enjoyable and a decent ride on its own, but it should not have been a replacement in a park desperate for additional ride-through capacity. Even with the social issues surrounding Splash Mountain and Song of the South, there could have been tactful methods of updating the plot and concept with different characters to deliver the same strengths of the experience.

TL;DR: Don’t give in to the hysterics of people saying this is the worst attraction WDI has ever produced because it is a decent ride; but it does not evoke the spectacle of its predecessor, making it hard to enjoy for those that know what came before.

Brian

So Disney doesn’t have any say in them rebuilding splash mountain with same theme?
Any design work at TDR has to be done by WDI. WDI is controlled by TWDC which very much wants Song of the South wiped off the face of the earth. There is no circumstance in which OLC is able to tear down Splash Mountain and rebuild it 'bigger and better' without WDI's involvement, and WDI will certainly not be permitted to do anything based on SoTS, barring a seismic shift in culture in Burbank. No amount of money will cause them to give up on this position.

If Splash Mountain were to be torn down and replaced at TDR, it would be based on another IP, maybe Princess and the Frog, but if they're being pragmatic, they'd utilize an IP that the Asian market better identifies with (because PaTF isn't one). But as trusted insiders with proven track records have shared, Splash Mountain at TDR isn't going anywhere.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
An aside about operations: I rode the attraction June 2nd around 10am and had to be evacuated right before the unload station. They were offering re-rides for those evacuated but I had already seen all of the show scenes before the ride needed to be evacuated and I have another preview scheduled for June 7th so I decided against waiting for the attraction to come back up. Needless to say there are still many kinks to work through before the grand opening.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
I guess Walt didn't like Tiana stealing his quotes so he smited her banner out of existence
IMG_9280.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s no way Disney would license the rights to SotS again to OLC if they chose to tear down the attraction and build something new. Disney doesn’t want Splash in Tokyo
Talking about OLC and their relationship with Burbank is way above all of our parades

“Hearing things” stateside sometimes play…this is rather nonsensical

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom