News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

doctornick

Actually we just gave TDO a great idea.

For a small upcharge you will receive a VR headset and get to experience Splash Mountain instead!

We just need waterproof VR.
Very honestly, I don’t expect I’ll ever buy ILL but if Disney did this I’d absolutely spend the money to do it. Obviously they wouldn’t but it would be great to have that option.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It looks like the biggest issue is the lack of details that Splash Mountain had everywhere.

The story is another thing but I also know there's a lot of armchair imagineers who talk about how "many of the original favorites didn't have an overall story but just a theme" when it comes to Haunted Mansion and Pirates, etc..

Splash had a complete story, even if a lot of people probably didn't understand what it all meant.

celluloid

Objectively.

A convoluted difference of what has been touted since early on.
A lot of non sequitor and odd pacing.
Objectively, most.so far have said the previous attraction served the art better.

basas

It looks like the biggest issue is the lack of details that Splash Mountain had everywhere.

The story is another thing but I also know there's a lot of armchair imagineers who talk about how "many of the original favorites didn't have an overall story but just a theme" when it comes to Haunted Mansion and Pirates, etc..

Splash had a complete story, even if a lot of people probably didn't understand what it all meant.
I still think the problem is that they replaced a ride that appealed to the entire family with one that has a story and dialogue geared towards preschool girls…and this on a ‘thrill’ ride with a height requirement.

Although some posters don’t seem to understand, Disney is not just for kids. That’s not the way to create lifelong fans who then want to take their kids and grandkids. They seem to be catering to the crowd that visits Disney because they have children and then can check it off the list (one and done).

MagicHappens1971

As a longtime Disney fan who loved Splash Mountain I certainly have one less reason (among many others) to visit. As a shareholder I’m livid that this is the crap the company is choosing to spend money on as attendance falls and money is tight. The stock has been a disaster for the past couple of years. Disney clearly doesn’t need or want fans like me.
Disney has proven that infusing IP (whether you like it or not) drives revenue. If you are so concerned as a shareholder you should be happy to know this attraction will be printing money in merch sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

basas

Their most popular ride? Very very debatable. Secondly, to strictly make a political statement? No. WDI/DPEP's mandate from Burbank is to infuse IP, Tiana was an appropriate IP to replace this flume attraction with.

Disney has proven that infusing IP (whether you like it or not) drives revenue. If you are so concerned as a shareholder you should be happy to know this attraction will be printing money in merch sales.

They will delete your post because it is in clear violation of the terms and services. SotS is basically an unknown IP to 95% of the General Public. I can guarantee you that up until Splash closed, you could ask 100 people exiting Splash if they knew where those characters came from and maybe 2 people would know. It is not a franchise, it is a movie that Disney locked in a vault decades ago. Again, as a shareholder you should be happy that Disney is adding modern IP that people are actually interested in to the parks.

How much did this project cost? I think we know the answer. Money well spent? I would argue no.

Using your logic we should close every attraction (and there are a lot of them), popular or not, to add “modern IP that people are actually interested in”.

Actually, your post to me summarizes the very thing wrong with current Disney management.

MagicHappens1971

How much did this project cost? I think we know the answer. Money well spent? I would argue no.
150M-200M? Disney blew that like 8 times last year on box office flops. This attraction was due for a heavy refurb anyway, and as GMR-MMRR and Malestrom-FEA showed us, if Disney is spending the money to redo an attraction, it's going to be IP based. Do I love TBA? I'm holding out full judgement until I ride it, but I'm overall happy with it.

basas

150M-200M? Disney blew that like 8 times last year on box office flops. This attraction was due for a heavy refurb anyway, and as GMR-MMRR and Malestrom-FEA showed us, if Disney is spending the money to redo an attraction, it's going to be IP based. Do I love TBA? I'm holding out full judgement until I ride it, but I'm overall happy with it.

Are you arguing that $150-$200 million dollars is not a lot of money? Money that could have gone to additions? It’s one thing to spend money like that redoing rides that are not popular. Splash Mountain was not in that category.

Well at least you admit all the box office flops.

MagicHappens1971

Well at least you admit all the box office flops.
I'm not a staunch Disney supporter. But there are some basic facts here. Very few people outside of what sometimes seems like an echo chamber (this forum) cares/knows about SotS. A lot of people know/care about Tiana and she enforces the Disney Princess branding. The different outfits she wears, and the cute little critters will sell far more merch than Splash ever did.

basas

I'm not a staunch Disney supporter. But there are some basic facts here. Very few people outside of what sometimes seems like an echo chamber (this forum) cares/knows about SotS. A lot of people know/care about Tiana and she enforces the Disney Princess branding. The different outfits she wears, and the cute little critters will sell far more merch than Splash ever did.

Very few people may have known or cared much about SOTS…yet the ride was still popular. Seems to prove my point.

MagicHappens1971

Here's a bit of information that might tickle your brain:
Tony Baxter said recently on a podcast that the NAACP enjoyed the idea of the ride, because it would expose the American public to niche characters from African Folklore. So I completely disagree with you that it was justified. This problem was solved in 1989, and it was brought back up because a small group of ignorant and loud social media folk on my side of the aisle do absolutely ZERO research into their beliefs.
I feel like I've gone in circles about this, but haven't we confirmed that there were credible rumors that Disney started planning to replace Splash with Tiana in 2019? Way before the events that people claim caused Disney to pull the trigger on this retheme.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just remember... someone saw a storyboard of this ride.. or something even worse... and said YES! That's what we should build!

This is such a horrible showing.. it just solidifies the belief that Splash was marked for execution and they said replace it by X before really even knowing what they were going to get or having any power to say no.

Or... someone looked at Navi River.. and said "see, as long as you put in a fancy AA.. the fact the rest of the ride seems pointless doesn't matter!'.. and this team said "hold my beer"

Dead spots... whatever, Splash had them too. They were always going to struggle to fill out the entire Splash path.. but like the Malestrom redo.. it seems they didn't even want to try with low tech scenes to try to fill those spaces and just went with 'lighting'. For all the hate on Frozen replacing Malestrom (which really wasn't a good ride)... this job makes you feel like they only learned to spend more and not focus on the need to have a good plot or catchy song/purpose people can get into.

WTH was all this talk about food, her own venue, etc... the whole thing doesn't seem to build off the success of the movie plot AT ALL.. and the whole DCA Bountiful Farms scenes in the beginning seem completely pointless, or even a distraction.

Unless you adore Tiana like a swifty what memorable character performances do you get from this ride? You like a fat alligator... or a stereotyped Mama character.. ? The general public doesn't get swooned by how high tech your AAs are.. they want to fall in love with a character+performance. This ride feels like they wanted to prove people wrong by saying "we'll use a ton of the greatest AAs and we'll show them!!!' - but fired all their creative writers to pay for the AAs or something.

Really odd set designs too... like the entrance to the second lift hill... the sign just forces you to recognize all the lack of symetry in the set due to the safety features on the wall.. for a completely pointless sign. It's written up like an invitation... but who puts invitations on horizontal banners like that? The notions just clash outright... for a scene that seems to detract more than anything.

For this story, Splash's total ride time is really an albatross they clearly never had a good answer for... to see this plot as the best Disney could do before replacing an icon is tragic.

If they wanted a 'getting the band together...' story... They should have studied the Blues Brothers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom